need help deciding

eagleeye321

Hey guys new to the subaru family but I'm about to get my car just got my wife's and I'm in the military and trying decide and why not ask people that know a lot about them...well I'm getting to get a wrx or sti can't decide which one so I'm hoping that Yall can me cuz I'm trying to get a hatchback from 2008 to 2013 which year do Yall recommend and which version wrx or sti??

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
First and foremost, welcome to the forum.

There are quite a lot of variables that will determine which car is the fit for you, so let's begin.

1) What is your budget?
2) What will be the intended purpose of the car?

Those two questions alone should verify which car is for you.

3) What do you plan on doing to the car, if anything?
4) Have you considered a 2015 WRX?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
After being behind the wheel of both in that year range, STi all the way. Transmission is better. Power is better. Handling is better. Brakes are better.
Not saying you can't make the wrx as good or better, just that the STi is already ahead from the get go.
I wouldn't do an 08 wrx just because the power is the same as the older generations, 225. The 09 and up have the more powerful 265 hp. On top of that I wouldn't do a wrx until 2011 just because of the narrow body becaue the widebody is better looking IMO.
2008-10 STi's don't handle as well as the 11+. Other than that and a few cosmetic changes, there is no difference.

eagleeye321

I can get either one I'm trying to figure out what's the difference besides the engine horsepower and ones 5 spd and sti is 6 spd

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I can get either one I'm trying to figure out what's the difference besides the engine horsepower and ones 5 spd and sti is 6 spd

Suspension, brakes, bits and pieces of the engine. Seats. Hub bolt pattern. Power and tranny.
Those are the basics

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Spamby is asking you if you want to know the differences between the 08 and 11+ WRX or differences between 08 and 11+ STI.
[MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] might as well tell both! :lol:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Well let me ask Yall this is the 2008 a lot different from the 2011-2013

The 08-10 sti has a bit softer suspension than the 11+. They stiffened the spring rates and added a bit better bushings. Other than that, there is no difference aside from some cosmetics. This is the for the sti.

The 08 wrx is a bastard year due to the redesign but no power increase from the previous years. In 09 they went with the more power. 11+ is much the same aside from cosmetics, most notably the wide body. That's for the wrx.

Subtle changes, besides the wrx from 08 to 09+

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I personally like the widebody 11+.

Why not a GD STI 04-07?

eagleeye321

ok thanks guys this helps a lot I am probably gonna get an 08 to 11 sti cuz I like stiff suspension and that was for the hatchback rite ??

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yea, Hatchback is 08-14.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Cruise control is included in WRX and STI since 2002. :lol:

eagleeye321

oh well shit didn't know that well now I know that but which ever one I get a better deal on im gonna go with sorry im new to the subie world guys

Alter3go

I have a 2013 satin white pearl hatchback for sale it's fully loaded. I am military as well
[MENTION=3866]eagleeye321[/MENTION]

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Are the drive trains the same in those years from the WRX to the STi or is like the older years where the drive train in the WRX is made of glass and the STi is built like a brick shit house.

That would be my personal deciding factor. :tup: