performance mods ??

on_a_quest

just purchased a 2011 sti, buddy of mine told me i can get some good info on here. I'm curious as to what my first performance mods should be any suggestion? I'm looking to pack on some HP!
thanks again

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Yep. A tune is gonna do it. Stage 1 or 2.

Stage 1 being just a tune and nothing else.
Stage 2 being a downpipe and tune. There are variations to this but that basically constitutes a stage 2.

You can either get a Cobb Accessport and use their maps or have someone protune via the accessport for even more performance and drivability.
You can also open source tune it and forgo the expense of the Accessport.

If you have e85 in your area, you can utilize that for even larger gains. This will require larger injectors and a fuel pump adding to the cost.

If you just want lots of power, then a bigger turbo and possibly building the engine.

What's your power goals and what do you intend to do with the car?
[MENTION=3867]on_a_quest[/MENTION]

Last edited:

on_a_quest

Track

I plan on making it a track car/ daily driver, looking to make high mid 400s
You suggest a tune on stock components? I was thinking an exhaust first and the Cobb AP and stage 2 tune like you said.

UOTE=Spamby;100850]Yep. A tune is gonna do it. Stage 1 or 2.

Stage 1 being just a tune and nothing else.
Stage 2 being a downpipe and tune. There are variations to this but that basically constitutes a stage 2.

You can either get a Cobb Accessport and use their maps or have someone protune via the accessport for even more performance and drivability.
You can also open source tune it and forgo the expense of the Accessport.

If you have e85 in your area, you can utilize that for even larger gains. This will require larger injectors and a fuel pump adding to the cost.

If you just want lots of power, then a bigger turbo and possibly building the engine.

What's your power goals and what do you intend to do with the car?
@on_a_quest[/QUOTE]

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
If you want mid-high 400 to the wheels, might as well yank the engine, build it and get a larger turbo now.

Otherwise a stage 2 tune is fine for a stock engine. However, there are no guarantees.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Tune for sure [MENTION=3867]on_a_quest[/MENTION].

droopys

Get motor mounts, a pitch stop, a tranny mount. I've done stage 1 and those upgrades as well as a few others. these don't increase your power gains. they greatly enhance the power that is there. And will help out for when you do go with more power

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
What kind of track events do you plan on... 1/4 mile or autoX and time attack. This will define your goal and then your ultimate setup.

As droopy suggests I recommend suspension mods first and for the type of HPDE driving you plan to do. This will net you your biggest gains on the track. Once you get the car driving the way you want it then add power to suit your needs.

Nooch34

Stay stock as long as you can! Once you start it's like a heroine addiction...I'm looking for my next fix! ( already stage 2+ AP, afe cai, 3" tbe, 11 lb flywheel and fx100 clutch)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We agree with [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION]. Suspension changes it all.