Insurance

DevSuub

Ive heard that when you buy an Sti sedan its listed as a sports car or performance car through the insurance companies but if you try to insure a WRX wagon it is cheaper because it is listed under family car? Thus making the WRX wagon cheaper insurance wise rather that the Sti sedan.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yes that is true. STi's are very expensive to insure if your young.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to the forum. What you can do to bypass the insurance rape by the companies is to have one of your parents list the STi under their name. :tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Ive heard that when you buy an Sti sedan its listed as a sports car or performance car through the insurance companies but if you try to insure a WRX wagon it is cheaper because it is listed under family car? Thus making the WRX wagon cheaper insurance wise rather that the Sti sedan.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

Yes. They are expensive to insure when your young. Actually, they're expensive as an older adult, relatively speaking, because of younger drivers. We all pay.
Call a few insurance companies and get some quotes. This will confirm or deny the difference in price between the two.

Bontchimuz

I pay $750/year as a 37 year old with 14 years of safe driving through Safeco.

I think I was paying $550 with my 2004 VW VR6.

An STi will cost more but imho is well worth it compared to a WRX...

;)

Anyone can recommend a good set of insurance peeps to look at? I'm considering on buying an STi sometime by the end of the year/early next year. Hopefully I don't fall in the younger bracket being above the 25+ mark? What's the typical monthly these days?

sacnvz

When my wife added my 15' STI, she gave the vin number and the rep said it was an Impreza. No mention of STI at all. I'm not sure if it made a difference but I wasn't about to correct her. I'm in California though so everything is expensive. We have insurance on top of insurance on top of that insurance. LOL

I suggest that you call a few insurance companies for quotes and it would be good to have a VIN number of the particular STI you plan to get. That way they can give you a pretty accurate estimate.

jpwrxsti

I pay 250 a month for okay coverage and medium deductibles for an 11 sti and an 11 Mazda 3. I'm 25 with a good driving history. Feels bad man..

^ how much monthly?

I am 28, have had my license since I was 18 and my insurance rate through Progressive is $151/month for full coverage on my '15 STi :) Never caused any accidents though and no tickets on my record.