muffler question

M-STI

Hello guys, i am a noob in the sti world.

Probably some of you might be able to help me. My sti 2011 sedan is completely stock. I think the exhaust rumble is too soft for my liking. A friend suggested for me to get a universal Apexi N1 with 3" inlet and then make a custom stainless steel pipe only until the bracket before the pipe split into 2 (axleback?) so i will only be using 1 muffler instead of 2.

The questions are:
1. Is it fine to use just 1 muffler? Or should i be buying 2 Apexi N1 and bolt them on after the pipe split (last brackets closest to the mufflers)
2. Can i take out the resonator and rear catalytic converter while doing it? My STI is a 2.5 btw.

Thanks heaps guys

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Taking out the resonator and catalytic converter will make a noticable difference. Some people say this causes the exhaust to drone, but every driver feels differently about this. If you have someone who can do some cheap welding jobs for you, I'd consider that option first. If money is not a big deal, I'd suggest a turboback exhaust and a tune.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I had to read this a few times to understand and i dont think i still understand. :lol:

It sounds like youre referring to the midpipe that connects in between the downpipe and axelback.

When you say universal apexi n1, are you referring to the GD 02-07 apexi n1 exhaust?

M-STI

Thanks Batmobil-engage.
[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION]: no what i mean is the pipe after the mid pipe. Thanks bro

M-STI

The apexi n1 universal is the muffler apexi made for any car as long as the inlet diameter is suitable for their cars. So it's not model specific.

M-STI

Hi guys. Just checkin and actually took the time under the car. I'm sorry i must have confused you guys. The only bracket is the one right after the catalytic converter. So finally changed the pipe with 3" all the way to the back and only use 1 muffler. So i guess it's a cat-back exhaust then. Sound is still pretty quiet even without the resonator. If i take the catalytic converter out. You reckon it will be a louder? Thanks

ej25subie05

if you changed it from cat back its known as a cbe :)

might as well go ahead and get a down pipe as well. if you don't mind a smell then get cat less if you dont want your car to smell get catted. you won't notice a big difference if you have a cat or not.

but honestly i think a dual exhaust sounds much better. when i had my spec b with agency power cbe and cat less dp i have to say it was the best sounding subaru I've owned and always got compliments on the tone. so you may want to consider a dual :)

M-STI

Thanks mate, well i am going to change downpipe plus take the cat out when i have more fund for the engine management.