Best/easy mods for a stock 2007 STi

tylerripcity

Looking at getting an 07 STi and wondering what would be the best things to do to it. trying to get around 330-350 whp and use it as a daily driver. dont want to do anything too crazy but mainly not sure what mods could be done and use an AP, or if a protune would be necessary.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Depending on the dyno, most off the shelf Stage II tunes will put you somewhere in the neighborhood of 295-315whp. A Cobb AP is a great tool but to reach your goal, you'll most likely need: Turboback Exhaust, Fuel Pump, Intake, Protune.

Do you have access to E85?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I have an 07 (great year btw). I think a tune, K&N drop-in filter, downpipe and fuel pump would be a good start for power. I'll disagree a bit on the need for a full blown intake. Fortunately most of those items are pretty cheap, except the tune. But the Cobb Off-the-Shelf maps should have you covered.

I say it a million times though, dont forget the suspension! Sways are cheap and really liven it up a bit.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I agree, sway bars are a GREAT cost effective mod. Personally though, I feel that you don't get the best performance out of sway bars unless you also install sway bar mounts and endlinks. Why have stiffer sway bars if the mounts and endlinks are sloppy?

The reasons I suggest an intake are because it satisfies the urge to hear more turbo and bypass valve action, plus it makes power more available throughout the powerband. If you choose an off the shelf tune, I would not recommend the intake, but if you are already spending the money on a protune, you might as well add the intake and get the most out of the tune.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Who needs a protune when you can get a bomb ass email tune by becoming a platinum member on here?! We have a highly skilled tuner that can help guide you through everything!

Plus i like the way the tunes are done on here since they are live street maps. Its not a static dyno load on every tweak, but rather a dynamic one on the street that can apply to your everyday driving conditions to provide a far superior safe tune! :tup:

Who needs a protune when you can get a bomb ass email tune by becoming a platinum member on here?! We have a highly skilled tuner that can help guide you through everything!

Plus i like the way the tunes are done on here since they are live street maps. Its not a static dyno load on every tweak, but rather a dynamic one on the street that can apply to your everyday driving conditions to provide a far superior safe tune! :tup:

I agree 100%. I have a protune by a well know shop but had some annoyances with it. I have been working with George and we have only completed the closed loop portion of the tune ( could be further along if i wouldn't drag my feet) and already I can feel a big difference. The car seems to idle better, no 3000 rpm hesitation ( was told I would have to get a fuel pressure regulator to fix ) any more which makes me very happy, and just overall feels better. I am honestly amazed so far. I honestly dont think I will ever have a protune done again. Hell I could fly George out and have him tune my car for the amount I have spent on two protune maps so far. Well worth a premium membership for sure.

MrNick

You may max out your injectors as well going for that number so that might be another thing to keep in mind, plus depending on the dyno at 350awhp you may be flirting with disaster for the stock bottom end... In my old setup I had tgv deletes catless turboback and a short ram and maxed out my injectors at right around 300awhp (made 293awhp but had a oem ebcs that wouldnt hit over 18.5psi... if the boost would have hit 20/21 they estimated i would have made right around 305awhp) and with my current setup with 850cc injectors fmic bigger turbo and a bunch of other stuff im making 340awhp and 380awtq on a very conservative tune (was trying to squeeze as much life out of the stock bottom end as i could,though i recently pushed it too hard too long and blew the bottom end having some highway fun in "mexico") Also the stock air box is supposed to be capable of running 400hp but then again a fat kid can run a mile... both are gunna be out of breath as hell when all is said and done, the easier it can breath the better it can run, even a k&n drop in will help.