Repairing damaged wheels...?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
My girlfriend has a Cadillac ATS and I've got the Batmobile. Because I'm trying to keep the miles down on the Batmobile and she's trying to keep the miles down on her (leased) ATS, we each trade off driving her 2006 Ford Focus ZX4. Over the last year or so, we've had issues with a couple tires slowly losing air pressure. The tires were in terrible shape, so we replaced them and the problem went away.....until yesterday.

I noticed the passenger front was getting a little low so I filled it. It looked okay this morning when I drove it to work, but by lunch time it was almost completely flat. I put more air in it and took it to Discount Tire (because they perform repairs for free if you bought the tires there, which we did). They said the rim bead was slightly damaged and had a lot of corrosion on it. They sanded down the corrosion, polished the bead and remounted the tire. They said "it's probably okay now, but watch it closely". When I got back to work (3/4 mile away) and looked closer at the tire, I could hear a small amount of air escaping.

Can wheels in this condition be repaired, if so to what extent? Otherwise I will have to buy another wheel.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What they did was correct, and sometimes to fix wheels cost almost as much as a new one.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
That's what I was afraid of... I guess I'm going to look for a replacement. Thanks JJ.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Craigslist!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
There's one site online that sells them for $65 a piece. They're just steelies and you put the plastic hub caps on them.

Last edited: