Ringland Failure?! Say What!!!

Figame123

I bought this car thinking it would respond well to bolt-ons especially it being turbo charged from the factory BUT I've read a lot about this ring land failure issue that quite frankly is scaring the piss outta me. Ive done a little research and I know these car respond well to downpipes, headers, up-pipes, CAI, and 3" exahusst, All with a tune Cobb Acces port, but , correct me if I'm wrong, is that a stage 2. I read on Nasioc.com people lasting maybe 10k miles with that set-up and then having to rebuild their motors?? what gives?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] please ask the man. ;)

TK-421

Okay in a nutshell it goes like this, Cobb AP maps come preconfigured for Cobb branded parts like their intake and their Downpipe. When your start to venture outside of that realm, that's when things get a little hairy. Most people think they can run any intake and any Downpipe on a Stage 2 map that comes with the AccessPORT. This is not the case. When you add things for example a perrin cold air intake and Catless Downpipe, you need what is called a protune, which is a custom tailored map to your specific set up on your car. The stage 2 Cobb map is a global map designed to be used pretty much anywhere. These cars are very very very particular and very finely tuned. Changing ANYTHING without adjusting the tune will cause lean conditions which bring on detonation which in return destroys pistons.

I can keep going and go more indepth, but that would take me several hours.

Figame123

Ok, I think I got, so Bolt-ons are fine with a stock motor just as long as you have a pro tune as opposed to a preconfigured tuned thats on the cobb access port?

TK-421

You can use the preconfigured tune if you use the Cobb parts yes. And I have customers with turbo upgrades, injector upgrades, front mount intercoolers, TGV deletes, E85 tunes all on stock motor. It's all about the tune. These engines can handle the power, they just have a hard time with tuners who like to tune them to the ragged edge. That's where your hearing the stories of ringlands and such. I don't tune my cars or customers vehicles like that, my tunes are more safe and conservative. Also keep up on your maintenance, there is a whole thread on it in the "how to newbie section" keep up on the Maintenance and regular oil changes, as well as adding an Air Oil Seperator system to supplement the weak factory PCV system and you'll be golden for years to come. Don't listen to those other forums, the logical and adult way of doing things exists here. You've chosen the right place

Figame123

How many PSI of boost can the stock turbo churn out? and what would be the best clutch/flywheel combo if i'm around 350+ torque to the wheels? Also what is the difference between a top mount intercooler setup and front mount intercooler set, what are the pro's and cons. My car will be a DD so I was looking to get a catted down pipe by nameless and a full race header w/up-pipe>> my car already has the SPT exhaust installed from the factor(previous owner) but I hear that exhaust could be restrictive so I was thinking going with a Perrrin 3' cutback and then a AEM cold air, with a protune>> with that setup i should be around 375 torque to the wheels right?

TK-421

Depending on your location, altitude and weather you could possibly see that, idk if you'll be seeing that at the wheels, there is parasitic loss in the drivetrain and the 305hp is at crankshaft.

The difference between a FMIC and a TMIC is efficiency. A FMIC will have a lot less heat soak than a TMIC. A TMIC is good for small turbos and daily driving. A FMIC is your better bet for combating against heat soak from the turbo exhaust housing and engine bay heat. A hot charge air temp is an engines nightmare. The FMIC is able to cool the air more efficiently.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
How many PSI of boost can the stock turbo churn out? and what would be the best clutch/flywheel combo if i'm around 350+ torque to the wheels? Also what is the difference between a top mount intercooler setup and front mount intercooler set, what are the pro's and cons. My car will be a DD so I was looking to get a catted down pipe by nameless and a full race header w/up-pipe>> my car already has the SPT exhaust installed from the factor(previous owner) but I hear that exhaust could be restrictive so I was thinking going with a Perrrin 3' cutback and then a AEM cold air, with a protune>> with that setup i should be around 375 torque to the wheels right?

Check out some more of the threads in here:
http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php/5042-Noob-Threads-of-Interest

Lots of discussion around many of the things you ask. And remember that dynos vary a lot, so 375 to the wheels can mean different things to different people. Focus on how the car feels, not numbers.

PLEASE dont neglect the suspension, its amazing what a few cheap mods will do!

TK-421

And as far as clutch is concerned, stay with a stock flywheel, and get a stage 2 clutch, exedy makes a decent stage 2 but there are others.

TK-421

Check out some more of the threads in here:
http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php/5042-Noob-Threads-of-Interest

Lots of discussion around many of the things you ask. And remember that dynos vary a lot, so 375 to the wheels can mean different things to different people. Focus on how the car feels, not numbers.

PLEASE dont neglect the suspension, its amazing what a few cheap mods will do!

Thank you [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] and my thumbs thank you as well

Grinder34

Track Monkey
At one point it was my goal to make a threads-of-interest/FAQ for each sub-forum "noob", "suspension", "engine" etc... So by all means browse each of those.

And please, if a link doesnt work OR you come across a great thread that we should add to the FAQ, post it up and one of the mods will take care of it. We're trying to make this place better each and every day!