15 STi hard cranking

For the past week or so my car is barely wanting to start. I push the "start" button and it cranks over at least 10 times before it finally starts. It has been in the 30's temp wise where I live but it also cranks hard even after being parked in my heated garage which is around 60-65. It's stage 2 with Ecutek tune and I have the DW fuel pump. It is driving me nuts and is so embarrassing to sit in a parking lot having my car crank so many times, people stare at me like I'm driving a POS lol. My tuner says it's nothing to worry about but I am not sure, it just doesn't seem right and won't my starter burn out eventually?

Any suggestions?!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Did this just start?

I do remember a few others posting their 15's having a slightly longer time to start than usual when the cold started. I don't remember if there was a reason found, did ya let your dealer know?

If I got spare time later, I'll try to find where I saw people posted the same issue.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
She's tuned with aftermarket fuel pump. Dealer would tell her to fly a kite.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] :angry:

TK-421

Can you hear the pump prime? If so does it sound sluggish or is it a quick prime? DW pumps rarely go bad, but from what your describing the signal to the pump is being interrupted during crank. I've seen this issue before with older version 1 255 Walbro pumps. Still confused as to why your cranking signal would be altered on the tune all of a sudden. You didn't disconnect the battery or lose electrical power to the Vehicle at any point did you?

Can you hear the pump prime? If so does it sound sluggish or is it a quick prime? DW pumps rarely go bad, but from what your describing the signal to the pump is being interrupted during crank. I've seen this issue before with older version 1 255 Walbro pumps. Still confused as to why your cranking signal would be altered on the tune all of a sudden. You didn't disconnect the battery or lose electrical power to the Vehicle at any point did you?

Yeah I even just pushed power on let it sit for 30 seconds and then start and it still does it. I have a video on my phone but not sure how to post it here. I can upload to YouTube actually, then I'll post link. The video is from earlier, didn't crank as long as it normally does but still way longer than it should.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
For the past week or so my car is barely wanting to start. I push the "start" button and it cranks over at least 10 times before it finally starts. It has been in the 30's temp wise where I live but it also cranks hard even after being parked in my heated garage which is around 60-65. It's stage 2 with Ecutek tune and I have the DW fuel pump. It is driving me nuts and is so embarrassing to sit in a parking lot having my car crank so many times, people stare at me like I'm driving a POS lol. My tuner says it's nothing to worry about but I am not sure, it just doesn't seem right and won't my starter burn out eventually?

Any suggestions?!

If your tuner suggested this is nothing to worry about or that it is normal, Then I have to question him. I would be a little more adimate with him about getting this resolved. Either way there is something wrong and whether it is the tune or a mechanical issue, your tuner is the one that needs to determine this. As suggested, the dealer is going to take you for what you are worth with a stage 2 ecutek tune.

Do you have the ability to log?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Try turning the car on and off several times, letting the pump prime several times and then going to start.
Otherwise I agree that it sounds like the tuner is giving you the okey doke. Not saying he's at fault but service after the sale. The least he could do is check a log for you.

Yeah I was kind of miffed by his response especially since it took days for a response. I agree, something doesn't seem right because if it was "normal" every stage 2 STi would be having the same issue.

TK-421

EcuTek is a older form of tuning these cars. It hasn't evolved like Cobb and Opensource has. You should really consider getting either an Opensource or Cobb remap. Especially considering your car is a '15.

If it was an older GC8 or EJ20 I would say ECUTek is alright to tune with.