SI Drive question

Has anyone done a write up on the Subaru "SI Drive" on the STIs? I'm finding the explanation in the owners manual somewhat... lacking. I confess, I'm one of those guys who actually "reads the manual." I like to understand the stuff I own. :D

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Cant help you there since 04-07 didnt have them.
[MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION]

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Each mode provides different ecu mappings for the car based on how you want it to perform.

Intelligent mode is the boring commuter or highway fuel economy mode. It provides the least aggressive driving experience based on its mapping.

Limited or no boost less timing, etc.
Sport mode is the middle ground. It provides more boost, timing and throttle response, with a measure of constraint. This is probably a good all around mode for street.

Sport sharp or sport #, is the most aggressive. This is considered the track or all out driving mode with the full potential of boost and timing and response as allowed by the ecu.

You'll get the least amount of economy but the most smiles from this mode.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I dont see why anyone would drive in any other mode besides S#! :rofl: :tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I dont see why anyone would drive in any other mode besides S#! :rofl: :tup:

I never did anything but sport# until I was pro tuned. Now sport is a beast and sport # is Godzilla.

I suspect the intelligent mode was to help rising CAFE standards

WesternSTi

The Music Man
I personally really, really enjoy SI-Drive and its ability to get increasingly raw and go-like-hell or to calm it down a little bit. I stay in Intelligent most times because I do a lot of short, short hops to places around here, so I want every mile per gallon I can get. Sport is better if you're not "granny-shifting" all the time and you want more power to be delivered smoothly. S#, in case you haven't figured it out, is a bit jerky and makes the car ready to like a bat outta hell at the slightest depression of the gas pedal.... Not great for daily driving in the city where you get stuck in traffic quite a bit. So each has a proper place.

I find S# provides me the smoothest shifting unlike where it just feels jerky. Somehow I still pull off 24mpg in S# lols.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
You know, I never noticed an increase of mpg in mode vs. sport or sport #. In fact, I noticed better fuel economy in sport # on a 200 mile trip. 200 miles netted 24 mpg in Intelligent. 200 miles return trip netted almost 27 in sport#.
Whooda thunk it??

I figured "I" mode was going to be the best for fuel economy as I've noticed the lack of throttle response there. Interesting that "Sport#" got you better results [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION]. Might need to experiment on our next trip.

Since I'm running an Cobb OTS Stage 1 tune on my STI, does that effect all the SI Drive maps, or just the sport ones?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I figured "I" mode was going to be the best for fuel economy as I've noticed the lack of throttle response there. Interesting that "Sport#" got you better results [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION]. Might need to experiment on our next trip.

Since I'm running an Cobb OTS Stage 1 tune on my STI, does that effect all the SI Drive maps, or just the sport ones?

I figured since the cruising throttle was constant, the engine didn't labor as much in sport #. Since you have to give it way more throttle to maintain speed in I mode.
I think it just remaps sport#. At least I didn't notice much in sport when I was on ots maps

WesternSTi

The Music Man
It should affect all of them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though. CSF... It's interesting you say that. I actually find the exact opposite. I prefer shifting in Sport.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
It should affect all of them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though. CSF... It's interesting you say that. I actually find the exact opposite. I prefer shifting in Sport.

It should, after thought. I guess if you were to stage two the car and run ots maps, all drive modes would have to change for the downpipe.

WesternSTi

The Music Man
Yeah. Although I do have a friend putting 542 to the wheels with a rotated turbo kit and much more who kept the SI-Drive Functionality, where intelligent is Valet mode and it's locked in it until you do a certain combination of things.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Yeah. Although I do have a friend putting 542 to the wheels with a rotated turbo kit and much more who kept the SI-Drive Functionality, where intelligent is Valet mode and it's locked in it until you do a certain combination of things.

Yes. That's a great idea about using intelligent as a locked valet mode.

This is how I've described it to folks.... lol

Intelligent mode - like driving a regular impreza

Sport mode - like driving a WRX

Sport# - full blown STI power!

Naw you got it backwards lol, I perfer S/S# because it's smoother. is the jerky shifting because it's pulling back on the turbo I would think.

And I do believe the OTS maps are all modified, I believe there's the 3 versions. If I were to guess its just copy n paste the information across all 3 but dial back the turbo on the lower modes.

sacnvz

I find that "I" mode shifts smoother for me. You guys just have a lead foot! LOL I'll use "I" mode and "S" for around town and "S#" for freeway on/off ramps. Once a week I have a long commute so I'll use "I" mode and I usually will get at least 24mpg.

When I want to have some fun I'm in "S#", Auto -, and TRAC MODE. Car just really comes alive! This actually makes me a bit nervous at high speeds but I'm pretty safe not to get too nutty. Hence why I'm really focusing on drivetrain, suspension, and braking first.

oh ok, I actually can't have a lead foot lol, still breaking in the car. But my mpg's are about the same 23-24 dead on for all modes. I did hear the OTS maps increased mileage though to like 27.
Slowly startin to hear my turbo abit more, but then again I'm barely boosting around in the first place. I was gonna try removing the milk jug to see if there's a noticeable difference, but I would like to plug the hole though.

sacnvz

oh ok, I actually can't have a lead foot lol, still breaking in the car. But my mpg's are about the same 23-24 dead on for all modes. I did hear the OTS maps increased mileage though to like 27.
Slowly startin to hear my turbo abit more, but then again I'm barely boosting around in the first place. I was gonna try removing the milk jug to see if there's a noticeable difference, but I would like to plug the hole though.

If you want to hear more spooling then just get an intake and tune. Removing the jug will just bring in hot air into the engine from the exhaust manifold below.

Yea I know what it takes to actually hear it. Drove my buddys 11 STi all the time on Stage 2.
But I'll be fine temp wise, I'm in freezing weather up here for now. Practically cool weather for about 8 months out of 12 lol short summers.