New guy

Hi I am new and I don't have an STi, just a plain ole WRX.

It is my first venture back I to performance cars from years of trying to keep a Land Rover(s) on the road.

Thanks for having me

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome!

Tell us more about the WRX....and Land Rover(s) while you're at it!

What years? Mods? Plans? Pics!

More!!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=7247]MedicMike[/MENTION] welcome friend.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Post some pictures of the ride!!!

What other cars have you had in the past? Why did you decide to sell the Land Rover and get a WRX? What were the advantages of the Land Rover? What were the disadvantages?

I have had three Disvovery 1s in the past dozen years. They are a good off road platform and the cost of goodies to throw in it have dropped over the years. Why get rid of it. Well I had two Discos and an older Range Rover in the garage and I honestly was looking for a change. Advantages, older LR, less electronics to fail, super cool in a parking lot and a very old heritage. Disadvantages, diesels are few and far between in the States and costly to convert. The Gas motor will do a great job but at 9 mpg on a downhill run is just not what I was looking for anymore.
I test drove an STi a few years ago and loved the car. So, there you have it, finally decided it was time for a change.

The WRX is an 03 with an 04 front clip. The mods, the ones that I found, AEM cold air intake, full RS R exhaust, HKS turbo timer and the by pass valve has had the gasket mode to block its dump. The brakes are the Subaru 4 ports in the front and two pots in the front. Not sure if that they are stocked on the 03 WRX. 17 inch STi wheels and BC Coilovers.. Oh and good oh Ohio rust mode in the rear wheel well.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have had three Disvovery 1s in the past dozen years. They are a good off road platform and the cost of goodies to throw in it have dropped over the years. Why get rid of it. Well I had two Discos and an older Range Rover in the garage and I honestly was looking for a change. Advantages, older LR, less electronics to fail, super cool in a parking lot and a very old heritage. Disadvantages, diesels are few and far between in the States and costly to convert. The Gas motor will do a great job but at 9 mpg on a downhill run is just not what I was looking for anymore.
I test drove an STi a few years ago and loved the car. So, there you have it, finally decided it was time for a change.

The WRX is an 03 with an 04 front clip. The mods, the ones that I found, AEM cold air intake, full RS R exhaust, HKS turbo timer and the by pass valve has had the gasket mode to block its dump. The brakes are the Subaru 4 ports in the front and two pots in the front. Not sure if that they are stocked on the 03 WRX. 17 inch STi wheels and BC Coilovers.. Oh and good oh Ohio rust mode in the rear wheel well.

Wow, the Land Rover got insanely low fuel economy!

Alright, a few things now:

-Ohio?! Where in Ohio?!
-Show us some pictures of your car! We don't see many Bugeyes with converted front ends!
-How much knowledge do you have in the Subie domain? The mods you have mentioned require a tune, so I have my fingers crossed you're not still on the stock tune
-I'm assuming the brakes you're mentioning are the red 4-pots from the 06-07 WRX's
-How long have you had the car?
-How many miles on the car?

Seriously, get us some pictures of the ride! :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey

Give us engine bay pictures and we can help you spot stuff!

Who'd you get it from--any more information they can give? Did you have a mechanic give it a once-over? Sounds like you're pretty proficient under the hood though?

I never understood turbo-timers...:unsure:

The guy I picked it up from did not have it too long and no luck getting info from previous owner or ers...Posting pics is proving a challenge...lol

Oh it is at 201000 mileage.

No I understand the "tune" concept. I am up with tuning the old dude way. But that was with one or more carbs. I can read spark plugs and can tune a fish, but, uh, I am still getting my arms around the computer based tuning methodology.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The guy I picked it up from did not have it too long and no luck getting info from previous owner or ers...Posting pics is proving a challenge...lol

Oh it is at 201000 mileage.

No I understand the "tune" concept. I am up with tuning the old dude way. But that was with one or more carbs. I can read spark plugs and can tune a fish, but, uh, I am still getting my arms around the computer based tuning methodology.

If you don't already have an Imgur account, create one. If you don't want to use your personal details, create a throw away account. Upload your images to Imgur and then copy the direct link into the image tool in the reply box. Use the URL tab and disable the "retrieve remote file..."

When we refer to a "tune," we are talking about the ECU map/tune. The car comes with a factory map from Subaru. When you start to modify things around the engine bay, you need to get a professional tune/map for those added modifications. Otherwise, If you drive your vehicle with the factory, stock tune/map and the added modifications, the ECU will try to compensate for things it shouldn't due to an air intake or a BOV, and this is how people blow their engines. I'm not the person to describe this area. This meme references this perfectly:

vn7bmvbq9jf31.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Not sure what you're doing wrong, but the second post you have shows a link when I hit Reply With Quote: https://i.imgur.com/UP9Cze7.jpg and this picture is:

UP9Cze7.jpg

p0jhBJo.jpg

More pictures, please!!! :D It looks like you have either an EDM, JDM, or AUDM front clip!!! Are the fender signals functioning? That's also an 04/05 STi hood scoop, unless the WRX received an STi hood scoop in the other markets!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Unfortunately, the engine bay picture is cut and also really small, but from what I can deduce:

-no turbo heat shield
-aftermarket radiator

5lmOFik.jpg

Can you try to get a proper picture of the entire engine bay in a large resolution, and one of the angles showing the turbocharger, please? Did you car come with a Cobb Accessport?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I will work on better images.
No Cobb

I'd highly suggest that you drive like a grandma for the time being if you must drive the car. South Charleston, OH is about 2.5 hours away from Cleveland. I wouldn't mind driving out to you and checking the car out in person and help educate and inform you on how do progress forward correctly. I've made countless mistakes over the years (9 years now) and learned a vast amount of knowledge during that time.

How long have you had the car and how have you been driving it EXACTLY?

Edit: Ah, I see now from the other angles! You actually have either a 2003, 2004, or 2005 non-USDM STi front clip! You also have rear fender flares, at least on the passenger side. The driver's A-pillar antenna gives away that it's a Bugeye. Is your rear end also an STi clip? If the rear bumper doesn't have an angled dip in it where the tail lights mount, then it's stock with an added STi spoiler. However, the GD STi spoiler has 17 holes.... So, either a trunk swap, or entire rear clip is swapped in.

I have had it about 3 weeks. I have put 1000 miles on it. I discovered today that the radiator fans dont come on or perhaps 202 degrees isnt hot enough...

I haven't flogged it, generally shift points are at 5k for me. I have pushed it to 7k once..