The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
At least we should get to have a good laugh in a couple of days. I sent Glassman Subaru of Southfield an online parts request today. I said "2004 STi 6-speed transmission ONLY, NO axles, hubs, etc. necessary."

We'll see what they have to say...but I can imagine in will be somewhere in the ballpark of a BAZILLION DOLLHAIRS! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Disclaimer: The only transmission I ever worked on was from the 80s...

How much are the specialized tools? is there a used market for them to get them or re-list them once work is done? Any rentals?

Set up a go-pro (or take lots of pictures) for the disassembly...then put it back together the opposite way. Or is this a time/effort thing? In my very-limited experience, engines are way scarier since you cant see what's happening. Transmissions, on the other hand, are an open book.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Disclaimer: The only transmission I ever worked on was from the 80s...

How much are the specialized tools? is there a used market for them to get them or re-list them once work is done? Any rentals?

Set up a go-pro (or take lots of pictures) for the disassembly...then put it back together the opposite way. Or is this a time/effort thing? In my very-limited experience, engines are way scarier since you cant see what's happening. Transmissions, on the other hand, are an open book.

Oh no. I am NOT cracking open a transmission myself. At most, I'd buy another one and swap it in.

Lol want to say the main shaft in the 6spd has a trq spec of like 600ft lbs. This is the reason why I didn?t do it myself and will have a shop change the syncros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Lol want to say the main shaft in the 6spd has a trq spec of like 600ft lbs. This is the reason why I didn?t do it myself and will have a shop change the syncros.

That's what one shop was telling me. They had to buy all new stands and tools when they started doing the 6-speeds. The first time he torqued one down to over 300 ft-lbs., he bent the stand and almost dropped the whole trans on the concrete floor.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
WOW!!! I just got off the phone with Jon from TRE in Kalamazoo. He sounds like a transmission genius and his prices are more than reasonable!

That is where I will be sending the transmission when it gets pulled. At least I've got that nailed down now and I can stop stressing quite so much.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
WOW!!! I just got off the phone with Jon from TRE in Kalamazoo. He sounds like a transmission genius and his prices are more than reasonable!

That is where I will be sending the transmission when it gets pulled. At least I've got that nailed down now and I can stop stressing quite so much.
More info, please!

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It's kind of a long story. I was on the phone with him for well over a half hour. He's less than 1/2 the price of other transmission shops on labor and is 20% less on parts. He also doesn't think it'll be anywhere near as bad on the inside as other shops have suggested. Seems like the work will be pretty straight forward, and invited me to be present for tear-down so I can learn about the inner workings. When that happens, I'll take lots of pictures.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thanks, Alin. But that transmission is a bit different than mine.
So we need specifically 04, then. The joy of owning an 04! [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] wouldn't know anything about that! :lmfao:

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk