New to Subaru

Ordered a 2019 Subaru WRX STi Limited. Looking forward to getting into a car that is fun to drive as my commuter/daily driver. Currently driving a BMW 328xi (155k mi). It is a great car but an automatic. Car before that was a G37 6mt, really missing the manual transmission. I started an upgrade list but won't do most until warranty. Loving the bang for your buck upgrades thread. Focus on handling rather than just HP. As someone said, more HP is always a plus but not needed for the daily commute...maybe later. I look forward to learning more about Subaru and the STi.

Some may be wondering, why didn't I wait for the 2020. Tough decision for sure, we are close. I decided I like the simpler, well known 2015+. I am afraid the 2020 will be a hybrid, electronic steering, even more locked down. Sometimes, old school is better...more fun. Let you know when the new model is announced if I still feel like I made the right choice.

Cheers!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Welcome! Looks like you are on the right path, in regards to modifications. Everyone wants more power, but few go about it in the right way...at least not in the beginning. Enjoy the quick response of the factory turbo and intercooler. Because while a larger turbo and IC is great for making more power, there's nothing like the factory setup when it comes to spool and response. Best to stick to suspension mods and such, until you really get used to the car.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Suspension FTW!

And take it to an autocross or a track day. I swear it should be mandatory with ANY car purchase!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! What color did you order? When do you get the car? I demand pictures of the G37 and of the STi when it comes in! :tup:

Did you look at any other cars aside from the STi before ordering it? What made you decide to get an STi over anything else?

Either way, you'll definitely fall in love with the car! I'm almost as excited as you are! :D

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I looked at the BRZ, WRX, WRX STi, Focus RS, and Civic Type-R. My comparison also included MX-5, M240i, M2, Mustang, 370z. I created a spreadsheet with rating criteria, assigned values, and weighted the criteria. I considered new and used. Cost and value were also important. Read a lot of reviews, forums, comparisons. So much information. Test drove the STi and Type R (2017 just traded in). The deciding factors were AWD and the seats. The STi will fit more body types. I also like the modification potential for the STi.

I went for the traditional WRB. For me, that brighter color with the gold/bronze wheels are still a great combination. Glad Subaru is bringing them back.

Sold my G37 6mt to on of my sons. It is much lower than it was when I drove it. I will see if I can round up a picture. It was fun car do drive 3 seasons of the year.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ah, the beloved BRZ. That's going to be my next car! :tup:

Man, quite a list of options you were weighing over! If you happen to still have the spreadsheet, could you share it? I'm really interested in looking over the information!

1) What did the Focus RS lack in that the STi didn't, and vice versa if applicable?
2) Why the STi (EJ257) over the WRX (FA20DIT)?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Found Autocross in our state, will be attending when they start this spring.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Woot! Ever done one before? You're going to have a BLAST and learn a ton about how the STI handles...and what you want to mod/improve :D

Man, quite a list of options you were weighing over! If you happen to still have the spreadsheet, could you share it? I'm really interested in looking over the information!

1) What did the Focus RS lack in that the STi didn't, and vice versa if applicable?

The focus didn't do well in the reviews except HP. The WRX was too family car. The STi spoke to me. Suspension, brakes, ability to make it my own over time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So what do you think you'll do to make it yours? Focused on big power? Supreme handling? Racecar looks?

Taking Weather Tech floor and trunk liners to pick up the car, On the drive home I am dropping it off for ceramic paint seal, window tint, and clear bra.

I am working on winter wheels/tires. Leaning toward Fifteen52 Turbomac 18x8 with pilot alpine PA4 tires.

Researching handling options but the more I read the more I realize I don't know. Doing some research on occasional track days, the SCCA Solo looks like something I would want to try. Thinking the group of folks I meet there as well as this forum would have valuable input.

Over time, I would like to go to Stage 2+. Want to be sure the car is solid and am cognizant of the warranty.

Once I narrowed the list down, my wife and I test drove the top 2.
As requested...

MakeModelTrimPriceYearMJ ScoreRide QualityGas MileageAct My AgeFun to DriveEasy to DriveUp to DatePriceComments
HondaCivicType R$37,5732019294534553Seats are difficult to get in and out of; adjustable ride control
SuburuWRXSTI$41,5002019253445432Seats have lower bolsters. AWD, no adjustable ride control, stiff ride, touchy clutch, overdue for an update

MazdaMX-5Club$23,9952018292553545Less expensive than most other cars
MazdaMX-5Club$27,9912018292553545
MazdaMX-5Club$30,785
BMWM240i
$51,0222018295454551
BMWM2
$53,5002018295455541
SuburuBRZLimited$29,8062018283533545
BMW230i
$45,5952019285453542
SuburuBRZLimited$30,5972018273533544
Toyota86TRD$31,6932019273533544
SuburuBRZLimited$31,8252019273533544
FordMustangGT Premium$42,0002017273544542
FordFocusRS$39,9992017263445433Poor ride, last production year
Nisan370zSport$35,315

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
This is an amazing list! :tup: Thanks for sharing!

It's amazing how all cars have either a 4 or a 5 in "gas mileage" and "easy to drive!" Alright, so a few more questions!

1) Is the Civic Type-R essentially a race car for the streets?
2) How is the STi's clutch touchy? In comparison to what?
3) Why was the BRZ only a 3/5 in "fun to drive?"

Also, what age demographic do you fit in?

1. The Type R is a great car. I like Honda and have owned a couple. The big issue is the seat bolsters. You have to raise up over the bolster while getting up out of the car. The seats were great for me and what you would want on the track. Not as good every day and some of my friends would not be able to ride along.

2. The clutch engagement is very quick, more difficult to ease away from a stop sign. Once it starts to engage, you need to be ready to go. I have had several cars and a truck that were easier to work with. This will be like the G37 6mt, all or nothing. Easy to kill at a stop sign if you aren't used to it. No trouble for my but my wife won't like it at all.

3. Every review loves this car except that it is under powered. The mx5 is forgiven, this one isn't. Doesn't live up to the promise. To be fair, I didn't drive it. Decided I wanted 4 doors and more flexibility. I want to take it when we travel and don't want to have to pack like when we are riding our motorcycle.

I debated letting your last question go unanswered but decided context can be helpful. Over 50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Age and lifestyle seem to play the most important roles it seems. I'm glad you answered because it shows me that my choices will/may change over time. :tup:

So, when do you take delivery of your STi?!

Also, make sure you start a journal because I want to read about your perspective on things! Even if you don't do any modifications to the car, I still want to know how you feel about the car on a day to day basis over time! :tup:

Also, I should've written this in my first post, but now knowing that you're mature and have sense (unlike me when I first started out), I know I don't need to.

Have you had a turbo charged vehicle in the past?
If not, have you done thorough research in regards how to maintain your vehicle and properly drive it so it lasts you, essentially forever?

No delivery date set. When it is within 30 days they will let me know.

I hadn't thought about a build log but see others set one up for the basics. I do find I like reading others thoughts and comparing to mine. I move with more conviction if I agree and do more research if I don't.

Bought my wife a Lexus NX200t, first turbo. I dont count that since is a grocery getter and grand kid hauler.

I have been scouring the forum's to learn about Subaru, WRX, STi, and the turbo. I want this to last, b ed reliable, and fun to drive. Maybe a track day or two.

I do all, well most, of my own wrenching. Lowered my BMW, change injectors, wheel bearings, all regular maintenance... loving the possibilities with this car. But daily driver so must be reliable.

Have had many wheel problems with the BMW so am cautious about lowering. On the other hand, rally wheels may help with the harsh winters.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Oh, man! The wait must be killing you then! :lol:

Seeing as how you wrench your own gears, I'm excited to read all of your thoughts in the coming weeks?... months?.... no..... YEARS!!!! :tup:

Ask any and all questions and we will do our best to help!

[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION], thank you for the encouragement. I do have some questions, I will be posting them soon. I will try and put them in the correct categories for appropriate attention and responses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Taking Weather Tech floor and trunk liners to pick up the car, On the drive home I am dropping it off for ceramic paint seal, window tint, and clear bra.

I am working on winter wheels/tires. Leaning toward Fifteen52 Turbomac 18x8 with pilot alpine PA4 tires.

Researching handling options but the more I read the more I realize I don't know. Doing some research on occasional track days, the SCCA Solo looks like something I would want to try. Thinking the group of folks I meet there as well as this forum would have valuable input.

Over time, I would like to go to Stage 2+. Want to be sure the car is solid and am cognizant of the warranty.

You must've edited this post because I missed it. You definitely can't go wrong with Weather Tech mats, ceramic paint sealer, window tinting, and a clear bra! I think that's terrific start for longevity!

I like how those wheels look HOWEVER!!!! Make sure 18" rims fit over your front 6 piston calipers!!!! If stock rims are 19's, I'm going to assume that 18's may not clear them! You need to research this! If you take delivery of your car and it's still winter, you NEED another set of wheels readily available! Those sticky summer tires that the car comes with from the factory have absolutely ZEROOOOOOOOO traction in the snow. I learned this the hard way and through experiments with various tire types over the years.

Regarding handling: why don't you leave the car stock and do an autocross event first? Maybe the stock suspension is more than adequate enough for your tastes.

Regarding power: remaining stock until the warranty is up is probably the most intelligent thing to do. That way, you are accustomed to the car in stock form and I'd recommend moving in increments. Do Stage 1 first, then Stage 2, and whatever more you want after that.