2015 STi Intakes - All their no tune required claims

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Does the K&N drop in filter mess up the MAF sensor because of the oil substance?

Congratulations [MENTION=3232]CSF707[/MENTION]!

Yes. Over-oiling of a K&N filter can deposit oil on the sensor. Even lightly oiled filters can deposit oil on the sensor over time.
Cleaning the sensor should remove any deposits. I typically clean the sensor when I clean my filter.
Oil can also be deposited throughout the intake system. Typically the oil probably wouldn't make it as far in our cars, being caught up in the turbo or intercooler, but I've seen some pretty messy/oily throttle bodies on naturally aspirated vehicles when it comes to K&N filters.

KenpoSTi

This thread is about 2 years old. Anymore feedback or information that anyone can share about this? I really don't want to tune, but would like to install an intake if it was truly safe with the stock tune. I was leaning toward the Mishimoto but Perrin looks pretty good as well. Thanks.

KenpoSTi

Looks like the Mishimoto may not be an option. I have been reading and one of the old posts by Mishimoto says you have to run 93 Octane to safely run theirs without a tune. I do not have access to 93 where I am at. Only 91. If anyone has any other input i would be happy to hear. I am going to look into the Perrin some more. I know on my old EVO X I ran an ETS intake safely without a tune. I did end up buying the Cobb AP though shortly after. On this car I just don't want to tune yet.

KenpoSTi

Nevermind, lol, just saw on ETS website the STi intake they offer does require a tune. I may be down to just the Perrin!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Let me ask you this: why do you want an intake? What're you trying to gain or achieve with it?

KenpoSTi

Let me ask you this: why do you want an intake? What're you trying to gain or achieve with it?

Supposedly even on a stock tune they say it has some power gains as well as the nice audible noises that come from an intake. Long term would be tune but just getting the car I'm not ready to jump into it just yet.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Supposedly even on a stock tune they say it has some power gains as well as the nice audible noises that come from an intake. Long term would be tune but just getting the car I'm not ready to jump into it just yet.

If you want audible noises, you do what I did: remove the headunit and speakers, get an exhaust, and let the boxer rumble sing! :lol:

I don't value an intake by itself. It's completely up to you since its your car, but I'm against it. Anything you do to the engine should be done with a tune. These engines are sensitive. I should also mention that I'm one of the most anal STi owners out there when it comes to safety, reliability, and maintanence for the car. :tup:

KenpoSTi

If you want audible noises, you do what I did: remove the headunit and speakers, get an exhaust, and let the boxer rumble sing! :lol:

I don't value an intake by itself. It's completely up to you since its your car, but I'm against it. Anything you do to the engine should be done with a tune. These engines are sensitive. I should also mention that I'm one of the most anal STi owners out there when it comes to safety, reliability, and maintanence for the car. :tup:

You are probably the sensible voice I needed to hear haha! I am with you on being careful and sometimes I get on kicks with things. It's not worth risking doing any harm.

I already have the muffler delete on the way. I need to tint, install a sub, think about either winter tires or all seasons. So plenty to keep me busy lol.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm with Alin... There are better things to spend your money on and honestly, unless you are not upgrading the turbo, an intake makes little sense and even then most of the after market ones are useless unless you are actually enlarging the MAF housing. You will get much better results by changing nothing under the hood and simply use an Off The Shelf map from Cobb if you already have the AccessPort.

You are probably the sensible voice I needed to hear haha! I am with you on being careful and sometimes I get on kicks with things. It's not worth risking doing any harm.

I already have the muffler delete on the way. I need to tint, install a sub, think about either winter tires or all seasons. So plenty to keep me busy lol.

KenpoSTi

I'm with Alin... There are better things to spend your money on and honestly, unless you are not upgrading the turbo, an intake makes little sense and even then most of the after market ones are useless unless you are actually enlarging the MAF housing. You will get much better results by changing nothing under the hood and simply use an Off The Shelf map from Cobb if you already have the AccessPort.

Thanks for the response and input! I am going to stick with your guys' advice and put my money into other aspects. I want to stay as warranty friendly as I can so while I would love to do an AP I think that may be down the line.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Thanks for the response and input! I am going to stick with your guys' advice and put my money into other aspects. I want to stay as warranty friendly as I can so while I would love to do an AP I think that may be down the line.

Smart move!

Become a lifetime platinum member and you'll love that mod. ;)

tjunvega81

I?m new to the forum as well, and just got my 2018 sti. I?m asking what?s the top CAI that I can buy without needing a tune.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The only one is subaru's SPT intake... if something like that even exists for the 2018.

Other wise a tune is required.

tjunvega81

Oh man, that?s a bummer. Why do they have to stop making em for our latest gen STi it would be awesome. I?d buy it in a heartbeat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, that?s a bummer. Why do they have to stop making em for our latest gen STi it would be awesome. I?d buy it in a heartbeat!

Pretty much subaru intake design is already a pretty well made cold air intake a so theres minimal gains and probably not worth the risk of companies reputations to say that they sale an intake that doesn't require a tune.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tjunvega81

Pretty much subaru intake design is already a pretty well made cold air intake a so theres minimal gains and probably not worth the risk of companies reputations to say that they sale an intake that doesn't require a tune.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You said it right, i was just started doing my research etc. bout all of this intake of today claiming they don?t need a tune, we?re down right bogus!!! To make you suffer even more later on. So ya thank you all for more information and stuff gonna stick with stock cai

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You said it right, i was just started doing my research etc. bout all of this intake of today claiming they don?t need a tune, we?re down right bogus!!! To make you suffer even more later on. So ya thank you all for more information and stuff gonna stick with stock cai

I say keep the car stock and enjoy it like it is for a while. Then, maybe look into tires or sway bars and leave engine/power alone.

Although straight line acceleration is nice, I love hard turns WAYYYYY more! :tup:

If I were to do it all over again, I would just get a muffler delete or CBE at first. Then tires and/or sway bars. Power isn't everything. Traction and handling is! :lol:

tjunvega81

I say keep the car stock and enjoy it like it is for a while. Then, maybe look into tires or sway bars and leave engine/power alone.

Although straight line acceleration is nice, I love hard turns WAYYYYY more! :tup:

If I were to do it all over again, I would just get a muffler delete or CBE at first. Then tires and/or sway bars. Power isn't everything. Traction and handling is! :lol:

Sounds about right my alley lol. Thank you! Should I get Coilovers why I?m at it...

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sounds about right my alley lol. Thank you! Should I get Coilovers why I?m at it...

I'd say leave struts/springs/coils alone. Don't dump a ton of money into the car so fast. Also, ease into modding slowly so you can determine if a modification is either an upgrade or a downgrade. Heavy research BEFORE pulling the trigger!

Just drive the car and become a better driver! Don't do anything wreckless unless it's in a controlled environment. Learn from OTHER people's mistakes. :tup:

Create a journal for your car and I'll respond to any questions you may have in that thread. If I don't know an answer, I'll tell you straight up and try to point you towards one.