Oil Temperature and Pressure Numbers: POST HERE

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
For those of you that have gauges or otherwise monitor oil temps and/or oil pressure numbers, please post them below along with your brand and weight oil.

I'll start with what I've got so far:

Oil Temp during normal Batmobile style driving: 210*F

-4.0 Quarts Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-30
-0.5 Quarts Lucas Oil Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Whats it supposed to be at?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'm doing a little bit of research on this, as I'm not completely sure myself. However, I do know that if your oil temp (and even coolant temp) is too low, you can have a little bit of sludging going on. Definitely don't want that to happen, because oil passages can get blocked, especially the oil pickup tube on the 2004 which of course would cause oil starvation to some parts of the motor.

If the temp is too high, the oil thins out too much and doesn't protect as well. Thermal breakdown from over heating the oil also reduces the life expectancy of said oil. With all other variables remaining the same, higher oil temps mean thinner oil, which means lower pressure.

212*F (100*C) to 220*F (104*C) seems to be the valid range for most cars.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Is there any sensor on the car that monitors oil temp from factory?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Is there any sensor on the car that monitors oil temp from factory?

I can't remember for sure. If you hook up your Cobb AP and can read oil temps, then I would say yes. :lol: I have a set of Defi gauges that I'm using to monitor oil temp, boost pressure and exhaust gas temp.

I wonder at what temperature I should set my oil temp gauge warning alarm...

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Lets tag them all! :lol:
[MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi.COM[/MENTION] [MENTION=600]black bandit[/MENTION] [MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION] [MENTION=3516]zax[/MENTION] [MENTION=1069]35r[/MENTION] [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION]

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have no STi Data to reveal at the moment. :D

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm doing a little bit of research on this, as I'm not completely sure myself. However, I do know that if your oil temp (and even coolant temp) is too low, you can have a little bit of sludging going on. Definitely don't want that to happen, because oil passages can get blocked, especially the oil pickup tube on the 2004 which of course would cause oil starvation to some parts of the motor.

If the temp is too high, the oil thins out too much and doesn't protect as well. Thermal breakdown from over heating the oil also reduces the life expectancy of said oil. With all other variables remaining the same, higher oil temps mean thinner oil, which means lower pressure.

212*F (100*C) to 220*F (104*C) seems to be the valid range for most cars.

For normal tooling around that seems a touch high to me. Typically I have seen between 180 - 200 on most other applications (not STi). I do remember Bob (my previouse STi) was around the same temperatures as you suggest so it may just be normal. Also remember that on the EJ, the oil goes through the factory cooler/warmer thingy where the filter is located and that is kept at the same temperature as the coolant. So the temperature of your oil should maintain close to that temperature. Ideally you would want to measure the temperature of the oil before it reaches the cooler because you like to gauge what heat energy the oil is transferring from the bearings and other moving parts.

IMO... get rid of the stock oil cooler and go with a Derale with a thermostatic bypass where the oil will only go through the cooler when temperatures go above 186*F.

http://www.etrailer.com/Engine-Oil-Coolers/Derale/D15450.html

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Where is the stock oil cooler located?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The filter spins onto it.

Huh. Never knew that. Though with never having the motor out, it is pretty hard to see in there.

For my Oil Temp readings, the sensor is in a sandwich adapter that my filter screws into.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
My CTT has a temp gauge and is about 180 in cooler weather. 190-200 in hot weather. Usually stays pretty consistent around 200 when I'm beating on it.
I've heard Lucas has a knack for pulling heat out of the engine, along with thickening the oil, so maybe the slightly elevated temps is due to the Lucas additive?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
As I was reading about that Derale oil cooler, I was hoping it would relocate the filter. Oh well :(

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Whats wrong with the stock location for the filter?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I have to unbolt all my underbody shit everytime I change the oil. Sucks. Takes a shit ton of extra time.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How much extra time does it take?! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You'd be surprised. The skid plate gets unbolted, then the splitter underneath the car and on the body has to have 5 bolts removed to slip the skid plate out. Even then, I have to flex the splitter down to reach the filter and often drip a lot of oil on it when removing the filter. Lining all the bolts back up upon reinstallation is not easy either.