Advantage/Disadvantage to single/double clutching or floating gears

szaishnikov

Hi everyone. I just recently bought my very first STi last week. Its a 2015 WRX STi Limited brand new from a dealer. I learned to drive a manual transmission about 10 years ago for the first time and since that time all of my cars have been automatics, Saturn, Toyota, and most recently a 2008 Legacy 2.5i. I have heard from several people that its like riding a bicycle, once you learn you never forget just get a bit rusty. Now despite the fact that I have driven a automatic since 2005, I have been a semi truck driver for almost 3 years now and currently operate a 2015 Peterbilt with a 8 speed transmission. My question to the veterans on here of the STi is what would be the best technique to Up/Down shift my car causing the least amount of wear and tear to the gear box and transmission? Whether that would be to single clutch, double clutch, or simple use no clutch at all as we call it floating gears? The car itself sits in my garage for a week sometimes 2 at a time and only gets driven on the weekends when I am home as I do stay out on the road Monday through Friday. I do not abuse the car in the city and given its pedigree of being a STi, it does not see any track time. Occasionally I will blow by a beater Honda with a young punk who bolted on a aftermarket exhaust acting like a douche but that's about the extent of it. Any and all suggestions are welcome

In given time you'll learn the sweet spots for it shifting wise. Cruising around I tend to go anywhere around 3-4k shifting.
But with the STi, you will attract all sorts of trash xP Even today with me, this truck prob a Ford I think reved up on me on the freeway most likely flooring it not really going anywhere with his loud exhaust. I laughed and blew by him like if he was stopped at a stop sign not even WOT.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!

Pics of the ride!

It will take some time to figure out how to shift the car and at what intervals. Trial and error pretty much.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
For our cars I tend to be a fan of floating the gears when up shifting. When down shifting I tend to use the clutch because it just seems like a smoother transition. My reason for doing so is paranoia. Our clutches are of the "pull" type design, and I like to exercise that mechanism as little as possible. Not that it is prone to failure, but it does let go sometimes, and when it does, it is not pretty. Essentially the throw-out bearing pulls the clutch spring to disengage and it is held in place by a retaining ring, and that is supported by a basket like device that has these finger holding the ring in place. If just one of those fingers brake, the ring can let go. If that happens while you are sitting at a light with the clutch disengaged, it will suddenly engage violently and damage will ensue.

I have gotten pretty proficient at floating the gears over the years and I have not experienced any extra wear as a result. Some people would suggest that it adds extra stress on the synchros, but as long as you don't grind the gears or force it in, then you are causing no added stress at all.

Double clutching is useless on a transmission that has synchros IMO, so I don't subscribe to it's use at all. If your synchros are warn then double clutching may help. :tup: Some people like to Rev match the transition from gear to gear. This is useful when racing but offers no advantage when daily driving.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I rev match every time! Ive never downshifted without revving it up first. Good to know that its useless! :lol:

I rev match every time! Ive never downshifted without revving it up first. Good to know that its useless! :lol:

Well it makes the ride smooth verses jerking around lol

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Rev match for me. I occasionally slam shift (float gears) when my right foot means business.
STi transmissions are pretty damn stout (one of the awesome things Subaru put in this car) so it's not like you have to worry about it exploding if you wanna have fun with the car.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What size shoes do you guys wear? Ive never been able to heeltoe... Even with my sparcos and pumas that have thin soles.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
There should be no excuse if we see these japanese drivers doing it in their sleep. My problem is that my feet are too big. :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Honestly, unless you are racing there's no point. Executing a turn in that fashion, with anything but the best execution will be as fast, or slower than traditional cornering techniques. I don't know if our chassis would even care much for it to be honest. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows...