23ac5139fb3c21cc86b094abcf840e9c.jpg

bb6c4c7916eea13d677acefea956e0a7.jpg

989d426066fd0c20beb5a6dbb2f0a929.jpg

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Congrats on closing the sale! :drinking:

Yikes on mount bolts!

I can't wait until your build is finished!

When the build is finished, I expect a 10 page essay in MLA format on the differences from the last time you drove the car; your experience during the actual building process; your experience driving the car after the build; and any tips you may have for other members of what you've learned during the entire process!!!!! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Congrats on closing the sale! :drinking:

Yikes on mount bolts!

I can't wait until your build is finished!

When the build is finished, I expect a 10 page essay in MLA format on the differences from the last time you drove the car; your experience during the actual building process; your experience driving the car after the build; and any tips you may have for other members of what you've learned during the entire process!!!!!
I'm not sure about that 10 page requirement, but I can put something together.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The heads are on and torqued down! Big thanks to @WRB_STi !

e163619f19ee445bf0363792dcf530d1.jpg

2f6e65496d1d106479d6a8f5f7c3822c.jpg

0528e342c18a70bbf7dccaf019dfeb4d.jpg

b2817f13cea296a5f461bdc1803c002b.jpg

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I always forget how wide the boxer is. Love it though!
Much better wide than tall. That low center of gravity makes all the difference. :tup:

It's one of the things I love the most about the Subaru platform.

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
About to leave work and go to the closing for our new house! All this going on and yet, mentally I am still in the garage. :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It looks like I'll be working with Pure Tuning in Toledo, Ohio. At least for my base map/break-in tune, that is. They'll build me an E-tune and email it out to me in a few days. Then, I'll probably take it to them for a dyno session after the engine is broken in properly.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
FUCK IT!!! I'LL DRILL A HOLE IN THE FRAME! Don't ask. Just pray. :banghead:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Moving on...

Got the up pipe wrapped and finally sealed all the wraps with DEI high temp silicone sealant. Before and after...
19060eb34919af1f5b2c02aa86a82c73.jpg
55a3769a4865d0beb6a0e6f26806f3ed.jpg

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Kinda shitty pictures, but still making progress. The turbo and intake manifold are just mocked up, not tightened down yet.
ea545696c6a6f7f512ea8c5c0c6415a9.jpg
372e7f19e322a201c3780c4f115fa03e.jpg
984e39ec5f42bc8b6a67506e6b4ea9dd.jpg
9368b54268a655f0892e1d1688ff932e.jpg

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I forget which build threads i've mentioned it in...so sorry if this is a repeat.

There's a coolant pipe that runs RIGHT under the IM. Wrap that bad-boy with some insulation and it'll help keep that manifold (meaning intake air) cool!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I forget which build threads i've mentioned it in...so sorry if this is a repeat.

There's a coolant pipe that runs RIGHT under the IM. Wrap that bad-boy with some insulation and it'll help keep that manifold (meaning intake air) cool!

Yep, that's definitely on my list. I don't know how much difference it'll make, but I plan to do something with it. Maybe some DEI Reflect-a-Gold...we'll see. :unsure:

The exhaust wrap turned out really nice though!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You may not like this, @Grinder34 but this is what a coworker and I were discussing today.

If the goal of wrapping the coolant pipe is a reduction in intake manifold heat soak, the coolant pipe is probably a minor concern. More thermal radiation is likely to come off of the block than the coolant pipe. Since we can't really wrap the whole block, maybe reflective tape on the underside of the intake manifold is a better idea? Problem is, the "wrinkle" finish on the manifold makes for poor adhesion. Back to the coolant pipe for a moment, I also worry that a wrap might hide or exacerbate any leaks I might have. So maybe, I clean it up really well and spray it with light gray, VHT ceramic primer. It'll hold a little more heat in and it won't be black, which would naturally radiate more IR and thermal energy.

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Kartboy Front Shifter Bushing install and comparison with OEM bushing:

71cc9398e6c77a93762e1330ad849e02.jpg

7623382ba32aff27cb9a9278134287ae.jpg

ee7bca6b59f3641a827a1f3d430f7cbf.jpg

ace189c36b75988978f9f1c6004e8316.jpg

ef348e00f059d5723d0173275f60437d.jpg

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You may not like this, @Grinder34 but this is what a coworker and I were discussing today.

If the goal of wrapping the coolant pipe is a reduction in intake manifold heat soak, the coolant pipe is probably a minor concern. More thermal radiation is likely to come off of the block than the coolant pipe. Since we can't really wrap the whole block, maybe reflective tape on the underside of the intake manifold is a better idea? Problem is, the "wrinkle" finish on the manifold makes for poor adhesion. Back to the coolant pipe for a moment, I also worry that a wrap might hide or exacerbate any leaks I might have. So maybe, I clean it up really well and spray it with light gray, VHT ceramic primer. It'll hold a little more heat in and it won't be black, which would naturally radiate more IR and thermal energy.

I would imagine if you wrapped that coolant pipe with the same material you wrapped your headers with (the grey colored wrap) and left it grey, you would see any leaks if they were to develop. I like the paint idea as well. Have you looked online to find out what other people have done in the past regarding the coolant pipe?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The thing is, fitment is really tight already. Wrap a bunch of shit around it and it's not going to seal to the block properly. No offense, but this coolant pipe seems like a small rocks concern for me. I mean, maybe if I was gonna race the balls off of it, but otherwise it's probably overkill. You can hardly even see where it connects to the block when the engine is back in the car and set up properly. I don't want to make it even harder to inspect that area for leaks. I'll probably paint it with the ceramic enamel.

I've looked around online a bit and no one seems very concerned with it.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
The thing is, fitment is really tight already. Wrap a bunch of shit around it and it's not going to seal to the block properly. No offense, but this coolant pipe seems like a small rocks concern for me. I mean, maybe if I was gonna race the balls off of it, but otherwise it's probably overkill. You can hardly even see where it connects to the block when the engine is back in the car and set up properly. I don't want to make it even harder to inspect that area for leaks. I'll probably paint it with the ceramic enamel.

I've looked around online a bit and no one seems very concerned with it.

I have to agree on this one. Paint if you have the time or feel the need to, otherwise I would leave it alone.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
My knowledge of the coolant pipe is not 1st-hand, but came from a well respected member from a bygone era...but he was pretty adamant about it.
"And that's all I have to say about that." (cuz everything else on my part is speculation)

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Well, today was a huge learning day. Joe came over and did the feeler gauge checks on my cams and buckets.

Subaru heads and the proper adjustment of their valvetrain, is quite a bit different than other conventional heads. It's not too weird though, 2JZ heads use the same principle. Anyway, instead of the cam lobes operating a roller-rocker, lifter, etc. the lobes simply press down on the buckets, which presses the valve stem and spring, opening the valve. Since there is no rocker to adjust, a feeler gauge must be inserted between underside of the cam lobe and the bucket, leaving space for thermal expansion. If there is too much space, you install a thicker bucket. Too little, a thinner bucket. Unfortunately, my buckets don't all fit the new cam like they did the OEM cams. So I need to order some new ones tomorrow.

24282f897dba6e35218fe3123f07fc19.jpg

d13b1489503ebe1ed2e2870e44763fdf.jpg
f6e69fb737149f4b27a56675ffa01d17.jpg

6acc19a112c701e8b6f61d4a6375ff2a.jpg

Last edited: