Why the WRX STI needs the Focus RS

I wrote up an article that's been getting some attention recently so I thought I'd talk about this subject with you guys.
http://allwelldrive.blogspot.com/2016/02/why-wrx-sti-needs-focus-rs.html

With the 2017 Ford Focus RS on it's way, a lot of Subaru fans have been making comparisons and hoping Subaru ups their game with the WRX STI to meet the challenge. Whether the claims of "this one is better" or "no, this one is best" hold water or not seems irrelevant. I think the mere fact that another contender is at the AWD table will mean this segment will see more attention than it has before.

What are your thoughts on this matter? I'd love to hear your feedback about this!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Great article. We will definitely have to share this.

Please keep in mind its a Ford, lol. Fords aren't even close to the build quality of an STi.

Case closed. ??

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

leemanfor

After doing some digging it looks like the Focus is maxxed from the factory. The turbo already puts out 23 psi and the transmission can't handle much more. However, with that being said we need another strong AWD competitor to make Subaru up the game. It's just crazy to think that their flagship car has a motor, albeit with minor changes, that's been around since 2004.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We have an 04 & 16 STi and the 16 is on par and amazing.

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
After doing some digging it looks like the Focus is maxxed from the factory. The turbo already puts out 23 psi and the transmission can't handle much more. However, with that being said we need another strong AWD competitor to make Subaru up the game. It's just crazy to think that their flagship car has a motor, albeit with minor changes, that's been around since 2004.

I would assume Subaru is sticking to the philosophy "stick with what you know". which is not such a bad strategy. I would assume they are giving the FA motor time to prove itself before they stick it in an environment such that the STi sees on a daily basis. It would be tragic to the brand should they put in a new engine platform only to have more problems and further alienating a community that has little faith in the original. Despite the EJ's short coming it is actually a good reliable motor. The problems usually arise when the owners or tuners pair mismatched or untested components coupled with a bad tune, or practices poor maintenance.

SMY Performance

On Vacation
I would assume Subaru is sticking to the philosophy "stick with what you know". which is not such a bad strategy. I would assume they are giving the FA motor time to prove itself before they stick it in an environment such that the STi sees on a daily basis. It would be tragic to the brand should they put in a new engine platform only to have more problems and further alienating a community that has little faith in the original. Despite the EJ's short coming it is actually a good reliable motor. The problems usually arise when the owners or tuners pair mismatched or untested components coupled with a bad tune, or practices poor maintenance.

Great points!