GNP shifter bushings installed!

Bellzy

0670fbabf7e4aaaf586da0d15a4b1fd7.jpg

Finally installed these bad boys. Man was it a pain the butt. Ended up getting my mechanic to finish the job because I was exhausted and didnt have a lift.

Shifting is so much better and Crisp. But man can you hear that tranny now! Got a catback exhaust on the way so it shouldnt be a bother for long .
Either way it was worth it just for the improved shifting. Cant describe the difference. In my opinion worth it, if you can handle the whining mainly in 1st-3rd.

However, I thought this would solve my problem of a ?notch? noise when shifting into 5th but it didn?t. It?s less frequent now but still happens. Just want to make sure I?m not ruining the transmission. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wait for someone else to chime in, but I think a short shifter paired with these bushings will improve your experience and achieve your desired result.

Bellzy

Wait for someone else to chime in, but I think a short shifter paired with these bushings will improve your experience and achieve your desired result.

So what your saying is the noise is probably nothing bad like synchros or anything. Short shifter would get rid of it? It?s a 2013 that?s stock with 104,000 km on it so it?s not abused.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So what your saying is the noise is probably nothing bad like synchros or anything. Short shifter would get rid of it? It?s a 2013 that?s stock with 104,000 km on it so it?s not abused.

I can only speak for the GD chassis and early GR chassis. My gearbox is very notchy, and a friend's 2009 STi is also notchy, although not as much as mine. However, notchiness doesn't imply anything is wrong. It's just the way the gearboxes are made.

Regarding syncros. If a gear grinds (you feel and hear it; it's very noticeable and distinct), then it's something related to the internals of the transmission. While a short shifter won't alleviate syncros, it should alleviate shifter sloppiness and give you a more direct and precise feel. For future reference, if your syncros do start grinding, then a simple fluid change might remedy the situation. Every circumstance is different.

Wait for others to chime in as I'm only one individual.

Bellzy

I can only speak for the GD chassis and early GR chassis. My gearbox is very notchy, and a friend's 2009 STi is also notchy, although not as much as mine. However, notchiness doesn't imply anything is wrong. It's just the way the gearboxes are made.

Regarding syncros. If a gear grinds (you feel and hear it; it's very noticeable and distinct), then it's something related to the internals of the transmission. While a short shifter won't alleviate syncros, it should alleviate shifter sloppiness and give you a more direct and precise feel. For future reference, if your syncros do start grinding, then a simple fluid change might remedy the situation. Every circumstance is different.

I?m going to make sure I?m pushing the clutch down all the way and take it slow. But the best way I can describe the noise is like a ?crunch? or a ?kkkrkk? but it sounds like it?s coming from the shifter not like a metal gear grind. It?s a vibration in the shifter I can feel.

Bellzy

95 percent sure it?s my clutch pushing ability lol

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You should always depress the clutch pedal completely to the floor whenever you shift. I know some cars' transmissions allow halfway depression, but that isn't the case with the STi's transmission.

Let us know if this changes your experience!

Bellzy

You should always depress the clutch pedal completely to the floor whenever you shift. I know some cars' transmissions allow halfway depression, but that isn't the case with the STi's transmission.

Let us know if this changes your experience!

Definitely helped. It?s more of a small click now then anything. Can?t be that bad haha

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=692]Eagleye[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION] [MENTION=2822]Doppelganger[/MENTION]
Someone else chime in! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
However, I thought this would solve my problem of a ?notch? noise when shifting into 5th but it didn?t. It?s less frequent now but still happens. Just want to make sure I?m not ruining the transmission. Any ideas?

Oooooh noooo?. :oops:

This might be the dreaded Subie synchro issue. Strange this is, it shouldn't be happening on your model year. How many miles are on the car? I don't mean to freak you out, but that's the exact symptom mine started having---albeit a couple years---before I had to have trans work done. Install a magnetic drain plug, clean out the lower pan, change the fluid and start a small savings account for the future.

Bellzy

Oooooh noooo?. :oops:

This might be the dreaded Subie synchro issue. Strange this is, it shouldn't be happening on your model year. How many miles are on the car? I don't mean to freak you out, but that's the exact symptom mine started having---albeit a couple years---before I had to have trans work done. Install a magnetic drain plug, clean out the lower pan, change the fluid and start a small savings account for the future.

It?s got 105,000 km so that?s about 65,000 miles.
Just got all my fluids changed. Oil, transmission and diff. Already a magnetic drain plug on there.

Probably syncro because if I give it like half a second and shift there?s no click. It?s smooth. Anyway, feels good getting all that done. $400 later. Have a warranty for 2 years and if nothing happens in 2 years I can extend it for 2 more. So I should be ok for any future trouble. They said the tranny is at about a 5 out of 10, 10 being bad. So not to worry for now. I baby it anyway.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
In regards to driving properly, please don't ever attempt to launch or rip through gears in order to keep the transmission in adequate condition. You want it to last as long as possible! :tup: Also, if you don't already, please allow the car to properly warm up all fluids before driving hard or shifting sternly.

Bellzy

In regards to driving properly, please don't ever attempt to launch or rip through gears in order to keep the transmission in adequate condition. You want it to last as long as possible! :tup: Also, if you don't already, please allow the car to properly warm up all fluids before driving hard or shifting sternly.

Haha I launched it once. Will NEVER DO IT AGAIN. Smelt burning clutch and regret everything. And I always allow 10 - 15 minutes to warm it up in cold ass weather and 5-10 in warm weather. Don?t drive it hard until I?ve coasted for like 5 - 10 minutes. Like I said, I baby it. It?s too expensive not to take care of it