2015-17 track setup

Hao Vo

So I?m highly interested in tracking my 2015+ VA chassis and I?m currently running a 18x9.5 +35 wheel with 255 tires. The wheel does have a step lip. So I wanted some insight into other members setups. Step lip or no step lip? Ive also had the same wheel specs but with a +38 offset (considered flush fitment) with a 265 tire and the car drove like it was on rails and was thinking about going back to that tire spec. What are your thoughts on wheel specs that the VA sti feels better on the track? I?m also lowering the car as well with coil overs so it?ll sit a different night. But that?s another discussion for a different thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So the MUCH bigger contributor in this whole mess will definitely be tires.

I had the V12s. Did a TON of track days on them. They didn't have amazing total grip, but I was amazed at how long they lasted given the grip they do have. Seriously, i think it was 4-5 track weekends on top of ~40k driving miles.

So here's a little bit about tires:

Getting stickier tires will end up costing a lot more. Each pair usually costs more, and then they dont last as long so you need to replace them more often.
Getting stickier and/or wider tires will induce more body roll, making you want to upgrade springs/struts/swaybars/etc... which definitely arent cheap.
Getting stickier and/or tires will lower your lap time. But you're probably not racing, so does it really matter if you're 2 sec/lap faster?
Getting smaller (radius, not width) tires will increase your effective gearing, likely making you accelerate faster. and lower lap times It may make the wheel well look less full though, depending on how extreme you go.
Getting bigger wheels may make the whole setup heavier (and vice versa..smaller = lighter). This may depend on particular wheel tire choice, however, so check your tire/wheel stats. Heavier = slower.
A flush setup due to offset/width/etc... will be more likely to rub your fenders on a track than on the street. If there is 100% no rubbing, no worries. If you do get some rubbing you can compromise the tire. On the street, the rubbing has little consequences. On a track that rubbing and/or compromised tire can lead to catastrophic failure due to the extra loads/heat in the tires.

I dont know that the lip itself matters, unless you're running a stretched tire. Dont do that on the track, please!

There's a lot more I can get into if you want, but that's my starter info!