New clutch time?

So I got ringland, no biggie.
Dealers are taking care if it.

But been thinking since they are pulling motor, I should replace clutch as well right?

Has anyone done work like this at the dealers and if so, what should be expected. Price and do they replace the throw out bearings and synchros?

My cars is a 2012 sti sedan. Clutch is the oem never replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have not done it at the dealership but COBB Plano charged me $400 to replace mine. I supplied the parts though. Got them from [MENTION=2334]Defined Performance[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
From my past (bad) experiences, I'd like to recommend that you never resurface your flywheel. They are about $230 and that is money well spent. I suppose it's not a big deal if you don't ever drive the car hard, but if you do, get a new flywheel with every clutch change.

Generally speaking, a shop will suggest a flywheel replacement if its worn below a certain tolerance (if it is within tolerance, they will resurface and reinstall it). I had one that was within tolerances and so I opted to keep it installed. What ended up happening was that, while the flywheel was not so thin that it would break, it was thin enough that it was unable to handle the high temperatures produced during a hard launch. Hot spots formed on the flywheel and immediately welded my clutch pucks to the hot spots on the flywheel. That was an expensive mistake that I could have avoided by spending the $230 on a new flywheel in the first place. Live and learn I guess...

Last edited:
From my past (bad) experiences, I'd like to recommend that you never resurface your flywheel. They are about $230 and that is money well spent. I suppose it's not a big deal if you don't ever drive the car hard, but if you do, get a new flywheel with every clutch change.

Generally speaking, a shop will suggest a flywheel replacement if its worn below a certain tolerance (if it is within tolerance, they will resurface and reinstall it). I had one that was within tolerances and so I opted to keep it installed. What ended up happening was that, while the flywheel was not so thin that it would break, it was thin enough that it was unable to handle the high temperatures produced during a hard launch. Hot spots formed on the flywheel and immediately welded my clutch pucks to the hot spots on the flywheel. That was an expensive mistake that I could have avoided by spending the $230 on a new flywheel in the first place. Live and learn I guess...
Good looking out my man. Makes sense if they are already working in that area, should have all moving parts associated replaced.

I have not done it at the dealership but COBB Plano charged me $400 to replace mine. I supplied the parts though. Got them from [MENTION=2334]Defined Performance[/MENTION]

Does [MENTION=2334]Defined Performance[/MENTION] have a website or contact number?

Thanks in advance.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
DefinedUSA.com or you can call Jordan at (417) 838-7927. I would call him if I were you. And tell him Rick from here referred you.

I do have a website but it's far from finished. Shoot me a PM here or call me at the store and I'll do my best to help.

-Jordan

417-838-7927

Thanks guys.
As of now they are pulling the motor. They are making me go back to stock, so when they are ready I need to bring all parts.
Stock DP, Fuel Pressure reg and EBCS. I was about to go Cobb Flex fuel but luckily the cylinder went before doing that or they wouldn't have honored their work the last time the motor went. Lol.
I need to get the clutch and flywheel to them sometime next week with all the other stock components.
I guess I'll be stock for a while with a cobb OTS tune with no intake to take care of the stumble until I save enough for a real closed deck sets up.
Then tune the stock system till it goes boom. Plan is to have a fully built motor ready when that time comes.
In all honesty, I really don't want to trade or sell car. I love the my STI. Has so much character and I feel these are great investments
231de5d91d59cdf74478cddf1e627dce.jpg