Brandon's 2012 ISM STI

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Is the hood cracked open in your pictures or is that just how the hood sits?
Does that model have a turbo or is the hood scoop just for the intake like I've seen on some other models?

How is the car for what it is? Is it fun to drive?

Is the hood cracked open in your pictures or is that just how the hood sits?
Does that model have a turbo or is the hood scoop just for the intake like I've seen on some other models?

How is the car for what it is? Is it fun to drive?

The hood isn't fully down haha

And the hood scoop is functional :) its a turbo EJ255 same as the WRX

Havent driven it yet, got it for a really good deal. But needs a couple things to get it back running. Hoping to have it on the road within a month

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Some copy/paste from another thread i just posted in, but I'd definitely consider removing that harness bar:

Basically, if you get in a crash and the harness bar buckles backwards (think of a t-bone collision) it pulls you into/through the seat and all the good internal organs come squishing out the sides. If it buckles forwards, it could impale you.

4-point harnesses pose another problem.

if you slam into a wall or another car all the momentum of your body wants you to continue to go forward. With a factory seatbelt you do just that and an airbag helps cushion the blow. With a 4-point, the top of your body cant go forward so the bottom does. Basically, you can get jettisoned into the area under the steering wheel and end up a ball in the footwell.

Also, harnesses are usually illegal to use (not have) on a car on public roads.

The reason is the above two safety issues PLUS, if you have it tightened down properly, you cant really turn your head/body to check blind spots and whatnot. Thats why many racecars have that huuuuge, panoramic rear-view mirror.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Please keep us updated and post pictures of the process of getting the Outback back in running shape!

Yikes, did not know that information about the harnesses....

Please keep us updated and post pictures of the process of getting the Outback back in running shape!

Yikes, did not know that information about the harnesses....

I sure will! Hoping this week it pick up an interior, belts, fuel line and gas cap cable and get the interior back to normal. Going to order the bearings and clutch today

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
@evans609 , any updates on the STi? It's been nearly 3 months!

How has the Type R been performing? How much have you driven?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hahah no updates on the sti, but got loads on the outback hahaha and the R has been amazing. Currently stored away for the winter tho

Oh, I forgot about the Outback! Post pictures and updates!!!

Oh, I forgot about the Outback! Post pictures and updates!!!

Its been quite the road. Ran into alot of issues haha

Not in any specific order, just remembering what I went through hah

So fixed the fuel line leak and found where it was leaking too. Was leaking right before it went to the sender unit

AUxa9ca.jpg

Got a full interior harness put in

shaved down the surface rust on the floors,

tSwDYt2.jpg

shaved

fnBU19F.jpg

couldnt find any floor plugs so fibreglassed the holes hah

HWBy0Ps.jpg

then painted the floors with a rubberized gravel guard for added protection and should help with sound deadening

6wPTMQ9.jpg

installed a steering clock and oem wheel

X7V88Hz.jpg

got rear seat belts in

dPwqVOW.jpg

got side curtain airbags in and ran gas door pop to the front again

HrsWel0.jpg

removed old engine and new one back in

3K6wefs.jpg

new clutch and exedy flywheel which converted to an 06 wrx style clutch and flywheel

UaP6mQY.jpg

winter tires balanced and installed

yAfQa4V.jpg

starter rebuilt

VIscFyC.jpg

and now im replacing the crank pulley and alternato belt and hopefully its good hah

also removed aftermarket dp, header and upipe. Went back to stock except for drop in filter and catback. Removed group n engine mounts and custom pitch stop and replaced with sti mounts.

Had so many issues. Still got an airbag plug that I need to fix. Front driver window stopped working, had an oil leak on the turbo return line, oil leak on banjo bolt, cracked oil feed line, also have a coolant leak that I need to fix (got the oil leaks fixed).

when removed the engine the pilot bearing was seized so had to unbolt clutch within the transmission through a half an inch gap lol also clutch was like matted to the flywheel haha just been one thing after another its crazy

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow, major overhaul! Hopefully, you'll be done resolving issues soon and can properly enjoy drive it. Can't wait to read and see more! :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So many things...

First, why so much surface rust? Was that already addressed earlier, i forget.

I thought you wanted some holes in the floor for drainage?

rebuilt the engine using kin bearings, cp pistions with je rings, OEM gasket kit, and oem rods, ngk plugs and oem coils

Way to just throw that in there. Thats awesome! More details. How long did that take?

Also why the back-to-stock push with the dp, header, mounts, etc...? Speaking of which, how'd you take care of the tune?

So many things...

First, why so much surface rust? Was that already addressed earlier, i forget.

I thought you wanted some holes in the floor for drainage?

Way to just throw that in there. Thats awesome! More details. How long did that take?

Also why the back-to-stock push with the dp, header, mounts, etc...? Speaking of which, how'd you take care of the tune?

So the surface rust come from wet salty feet from previous owner racing in the rain and being right next to the ocean rust comes up everywhere

the holes in the floor are usually filled in with a rubber grommet. I went and checked to make sure that these holes where filled before I fibreglassed them

The rebuild only took prob 5 hours around there because the engine was already out and everything come off so easily due to neverseize hah

Well why the big push is for reliability for me. I have one highly modified car and one that only has a few simple mods. Where ill be using this one for daily driving and for car pooling I wanted it to be close to stock. Depending on the ride quality I might even take the coilovers out and go back to stock suspension. As for the tune the v1 access port still had the tunes on them so just uploaded a stage 1 tune is all and ill take a look at the tune and see how it runs

Well guys, I decided that the car is going back to stock. Going back to stock fenders and sold everything off. Air suspension will stay in for a bit but shes going back to stock so I can enjoy it and not have the headache going forward. Once I get my next house straitened away ill be going after another car but wont go so crazy. Thinking an S2000. But I will post pics of the progress of back to stock and end result :)

So far I got new brakes, pads, crank, gasket set, bearings, pistons and all the stock parts. Picked up a freshly rebuilt stock turbo. Going to keep the access port, throw in a K&N filter and keep the catback on and get a stage 1 reflash. Also keeping the AOS installed. That way she should be super reliable. Replacing the oil pump as well.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Was there a particular moment that set you off? I do think the stock car is perfectly enjoyable, so nothing wrong with that!

Also s2k sounds great!

Was there a particular moment that set you off? I do think the stock car is perfectly enjoyable, so nothing wrong with that!

Also s2k sounds great!

Just sitting back and realizing that I still had 10-12k left to spend to get it to a place that I might like it. Just struck me that it was too much and I enjoyed it more when it was stock or close too