GC Paul Magyar's 1995 Subaru Impreza L - Street Mod/Track build

Fair

On Vacation
Project Introduction, June 2009: Paul is an autocrosser and NASA Time Trial racer from Dallas, and he's an AWD Subaru fanatic. He has owned and raced both a 2005 STi and a 2008 STI, both in SCCA's STU class. He's also tracked his '08 in NASA TTB:

540735841_cakPk-S.jpg
506689214_rxb9q-S.jpg

This '08 is well setup on AST 4200s, Vorshlag camber plates, custom swaybars, 18x9.5" wheels and sticky ST rubber (and R88s for track use). There's also a racing seat, COBB bits and pieces, even a custom after-cat exhaust I built. Anyway, Paul has decided to build a more serious autocross and track effort using an inexpensive Subaru chassis that is "disposable" cheap, so he's not running a $35K daily driven street car on track. It only takes one incident to really ruin your day.

577180954_arpDC-M.jpg

The "gem" of a Subaru he bought, with the parts piling up

So after hours of looking at other Subaru track car projects and autocross build-ups he decided on a class to build around: SCCA Street Modified. This allows him to do all of the update/backdate swapping necessary to run the latest/greatest Subaru drivetrain (2.5L turbo and 6-spd) in the cheapest/lightest Impreza chassis. He picked up a 1995 Impreza L "stripper" with manual windows, teal green paint, FWD and automatic drivetrain from local hot shoe autocrosser/drag racer/Bonneville top speed addict Brianne Corn. This car is a real "diamond in the rough", and here's what it looked like starting this weekend:

577177138_GyPd2-M.jpg

Starting weight of 2440 pounds is pretty good! The STI starts closer to 3200 in stock form

He had also picked up the transaxle, rear subframe/axle, fuel tank, brake/fuel lines, dash, interior and pretty much everything from a 2007 STI from another local racer who had totaled their car. He still needs to source the motor but he has a hot lead on a 2004 STI motor and turbo. The entire STI drivetrain is going into the old FWD Impreza chassis with a custom harness that allows for full DCCD diff control, like the late model cars have. Its going to have the late model dash as well, which should look pretty slick.

577180425_rzWRL-M.jpg

The 6-spd transaxle and various other drivetrain parts are from a donor 2007 STI; 2.5L motor is from an '04

Anyway, the car has sat for a few weeks (with parts piling up on the roof)! so I dragged the Vorshlag scales by Paul's to force him to remove the 100+ pounds of trash from the interior, get a "starting weight" on the car, and hopefully kick-off his build project.

577179261_4YqHp-S.jpg
577183229_PJKTi-S.jpg
577183749_Kr47K-S.jpg

Somehow I got drafted into re-wiring his garage!? More lights, plus 220V and 110V outlets were added

While I was there I noticed that his giant air compressor he bought almost a year ago is still sitting unpowered, since he had no 220V outlet in his garage, and he also had almost no lighting or 110V outlets... he can't get any work done in there like that. One thing leads to another and we ended up spending the entire weekend adding outlets and lights to his 3 car garage, moving all sorts of junk out of there, re-arranging the car, and more. It was hotter than hell outside (101?F) and even hotter in his attic, but at least now he can run his compressor, plug in some power tools, and have enough light to work (3 x 8' fluorescent lights).

Paul's Project Pictures from this buildup are located here: http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/8728308_BULQh

Thanks,
Terry Fair @ Vorshlag

Last edited:

Paul.c

Really looking forward to the outcome here. I don't think I have ever met Paul or seen him race, does he usually run in another region? I'm in tx region.

Fair

On Vacation
Really looking forward to the outcome here. I don't think I have ever met Paul or seen him race, does he usually run in another region? I'm in tx region.

Paul is in the Texas region, but has not raced much in 2010 after his '08 STi had some... warranty trouble. heh. He's dying to get back out again.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Man can't wait to see that build! I'm on board or should I say subscribed!

Fair

On Vacation
Update for August 21, 2009: Went by Paul's this weekend to get some furniture and saw the Impreza L. Paul's been busy and has all of the old interior, drivetrain, suspension and crossmembers out. The added garage lighting and compressed air did indeed kick off this project as I had expected. ;) The "L" is now stripped down almost to the bare shell - which is how all real race cars should be started. He has acquired a 2.5L STi motor (thanks, Henry Lin!) and all sorts of other bits and pieces for that. Still looking for a stock STI turbo and intercooler...

We've been both pouring over the rules for SCCA Solo Street Prepared and Street Modified, looking for changes and areas to maximize. Paul noticed that SP (and SM by default) now allows for full weld-in 8-point roll cages, which is a big change from before (it all had to be bolt-in style, before) and now he and I are both planning cages for our project auto-x/track cars. This will let us both run the cars in NASA Time Trials safely and still maintain SCCA Solo class legality (we've since decided to delay this for both f our cars).

While I was there Paul mocked up a wheel and tire on the L (no rear subframe or suspension in the way):

656574921_3oBXb-M.jpg

This is a TR Racing 18x9.5" wheel with 245/40/18 tire. Its almost touching the inner fender sheet metal and is pretty much touching the outer section as well. So it would likely need some baseball bat rolling to fit this tire initially, which I think is the route he's going to want to go with. I keep telling him - get it together with the major parts initially, and worry about the tires/wheels last. This way he can get it running and driving and sorted using his HUGE selection of used ST tires and wheels, before blowing $3500+ on any custom wheels & tires (CCW?) needed for SMod. When its time for 18x10's its going to need flares, too.

As for the other upcoming body mods, he's going with some sort of GC8 2.5 RS or STI front end:

656583586_FrvTP-M.jpg

Personally I think the stock, 2 door GC8 STi look is pretty damn sharp. I think we can custom make flares that look good, maybe even similar to the profile in that picture, but just make them wider to clear the 285/30/18 tires.

Next up Paul is going to finish prepping then painting the front fender wells and engine bay. After that he is installing the stock '07 STI fuel tank, subframes and suspension, then plumbing new brake lines for the ABS. Hopefully the built motor is going together in the next 30 days....

More soon!

Fair

On Vacation
Project Update for Oct 26, 2009: Not much to report yet. Paul has been piddling around with the car and after borrowing some tools to get some stubborn seat belt bolts (pinhead torx) removed last week. All he has left in the interior is the old dash to remove, then the new '04 STi chassis harness can go in, and the '08 STi dash can be trimmed and installed over that. Once that happens the rest of the interior starts to fall into place. Should?

I just noticed a few flared Impreza pics and thought I'd post:

693513616_tV8y5-M.jpg

OK, this is a little bit much, but you get the idea...

693513728_QDxdg-S-1.jpg
693513771_hmMuD-S-2.jpg

Being a 2 door the flares on the rear will be easier to do on Paul's '95 Impreza. Which is a plus since I'll probably be doing those...

More soon,

Fair

On Vacation
Project Update for Nov 23, 2009: We've been tearing into our GRM $2010 E30 project for the past 2 months, but Paul's project has been a bit slower going. As I said in my September update, Paul was busy for a while there and got the stock drivetrain, front suspension/brakes/subframe, and the entire rear suspension out. I just finally got a chance to snap some pics. Here's how the car looked Nov. 22 when I went by to help him on the car for about 4 hours...

721754480_xHf6h-S.jpg
721755441_xqdA5-S-1.jpg

The stock '93 Impreza drivetrain and suspension were all removed in September

Unfortunately the project has been totally stalled out for the past 6 weeks, so he needed a "jump start" (literally!) to get going again. His old truck hadn't been started in 2 months and it was dead as a doornail. I dropped by with the jump box, we got it fired up, then headed to Henry's house to pick up the 2004 STI longblock (used for a core) that he had sold Paul. This will be dropped off soon at COBB Plano (actually it went to The WattShop), along with the new pistons, cams, ARP bolts and other assorted bits for reassembly.

721755647_Cfr5r-S.jpg
721767412_rJdF5-S.jpg

Motor parts ready to go to the engine builder

Paul's garage was a bit cluttered and hard to work in, so we started out by doing some cleanup. We also hung a new, ginormous "white board" and I made some "to do lists" for this project as well as 2 other vehicles he needs to sell. The old '95 front seats went in the truck to take to the dump, then we disassembled the rear subframe and suspension and it all went into the recycle bin (the steel).

721755890_e8Sbc-S.jpg
721756174_U5o5u-S.jpg

Next we pulled the stock fuel tank, which was a 2 man job since it still had 8+ gallons of old, nasty fuel inside. We managed to get it out and only cut one line, and didn't spill a drop. Once it was out we pulled the fuel pump/pickup/sender assembly and drained the contents into a 5 gallon bucket, then poured that into two 5 gallon fuel jugs using a cardboard funnel (reminder - go buy some damn funnels, Paul!). Then the tank was allowed to air out; later it will get recycled, too.

721754738_A2C2y-S.jpg
721755193_dTiiv-S.jpg

Left: the used 07 STI rear subframe was totally bent. Right: New replacement subframe from Subaru will bolt-in

The other big step planned for today that needed 2 people was the stock dash and main harness removal. The stock '95 Impreza dash was coming out and a '07 STI dash is going back in its place. A wiring harness from an '04 STI is going to power the car and dash, or so the plan goes. We removed dozens and dozens of screws, bolts and removed the old dash in pieces. The main support beam came out next, then the HVAC components came out in 3 separate sections - blower motor, evep coil and heater core.

721756575_LnNv6-S.jpg
721771887_6C76L-S.jpg

Next we discombobulated both the main dash/HVAC/circuit breaker harness and the engine harness, which ran from the dash area to the engine compartment in two separate runs. The '07 STI dash was then mocked up and its a really good fit. After some minor trimming it should "look factory" and will improve the layout and interior considerably, not to mention it will house all of the diff control switches and other differences between the '95 Impreza and an '07 STI.

721757054_FkvAR-S.jpg
721757846_zhEX8-S.jpg

Left: both wiring harnesses removed. Right: '07 dash mocked up

Lastly I showed Paul how to clean up a section of the underhood bud disaster area, using my top secret cleaning techniques. "We made a clean spot" so now he has to finish the rest. By day's end, a good chunk of work was knocked out and Paul is back on track, with plenty of sub-projects planned for the 2009 Winter Holiday break.

More soon,

Fair

On Vacation
Update for Jan 20, 2010: Paul and I did some engine bay painting last night, using a POR-15 brand product. It was recommended to use a specific multi-step cleaning process (that sucked) and foam brush to apply the product on in 2 coats (the brushes REALLY sucked). This was a huge frakking mess, and the cleaning supplies they sold Paul really didn't cut it. Brake Parts Cleaner to the rescue!

769509966_QXtbb-S.jpg
769511301_ABiUW-S.jpg

After a partial first coat was showing massive fish-eyes from oil still on the surface, this still tacky coat was removed via brake cleaner. Next, all of the engine bay sheet metal was really de-greased with brake cleaner. Then we applied a fresh coat of white, waited 2 hours, and applied the other. Looks pretty good, for a brushed on finish (some drips & runs), but its not as nice as it should have been for all the work that went into prepping this engine bay. There are still a few areas I would have cleaned and prepped better, but you don't really see those once the parts are back in. Paul was happy with it; I was indifferent. If you go to a POR-15 coating, PREP THE METAL PROPERLY. All surfaces should be thoroughly degreased with the proper solvents.

769511898_qwSgP-S.jpg
769509310_6kdzG-S.jpg

In hindsight... probably should have gone the extra effort and sprayed the engine bay with a proper 2-part urethane automotive paint finish. I won't be recommending this brush-on POR-15 crap to anyone, personally. Short cutting the proper preparation process always ends up with compromises.

769512588_vxwAS-S.jpg
769510595_bkMCo-S.jpg

Next up: painting the front inner fender structures. Paul has spent some quality time with "The Crudbuster", a whirling dervish of a power tool with nasty metal brushes, and removed "20 years of crud" from the underside of the front fender sheetmetal. Let's vote for "spraying" on some product this time, please? And the AST shocks are finally about to be ordered.

I cannot wait to see this thing back on 4 wheels...

Fair

On Vacation
Update for Jan 26, 2010: Went by to work on Paul's car after earlier taking some measurement's on McCall's Z3 LS1 project. Paul didn't have many parts to install onto the '93 that night, so I took the chance to document a little of the work he'd done earlier that week. The engine bay brake lines, ABS hydraulic unit, and some other bits from the '07 STi bolted right into the '93... gotta love a long lived chassis with tons of carryover! There's a couple of holes to drill, and a few broken plastic retainer clips he needs to replace, but for the most part everything bolted right up. Even the '07 brake booster is going to fit. The pedal assembly? Not so much. More on that in another installment.

778965890_5SjWb-S.jpg
778966115_929wG-S.jpg

We also mocked up the '07 HVAC under-dash modules. The center section contains the heater core and evap core, so we removed the evap core (this car won't have air con, but it will have a heater and defroster), which came out cleanly. A small block-off plate from sheet aluminum will cover the hole in the HVAC box that the evap core's intake/exhaust lines left behind. We then realized we needed to drill new holes in the firewall for the 2 heater lines, so Paul was tasked with rounding up some hole saws and unibits, which he has since acquired.

Later this same week Paul started to reinstall the engine bay harness (the '93 cbody harness and the '07 engine harness). He also had a windshield guy come by and remove the front windshield, cleanly and intact (he could have re-installed the old, uncracked stock windshield, but a new one will only be a few bucks more, and new windshields always look clearer than 18 year old stock units). Having that out of the car gives us ample access to be able to fit the '07 STi dash into the '95 unImpreza. The '07 unit is longer and has to be trimmed ever so slightly at the lower edge of the windshield to line up. He's also sourcing some 2 door Impreza 2.5 RS door panels, which better line up to the '07 dash contours.

Fitting the newer STi dash bar, HVAC modules, wiring harness/ECM, dash/gauges and making the new and old interior bits fit together is the trickiest part of this swap, but it will look factory when finished - if done right. The drivetrain and brake system swaps are themselves fairly straightforward and mostly "bolt-in" affairs. There's probably 25-30+ dash mock-ups/mod steps in our future. Entire companies exist to create these types of new-into-old Subaru drivetrain, wiring and interior swaps.

More soon...

Fair

On Vacation
Project update for Feb 2, 2010: Paul took a quick picture of some work he did on the dash.

Here is a picture of everything mocked up except the dash bar. The heater box/blower motor unit and dash were easier to install than I originally thought. I have figured out how to install the dash bar correctly thanks to a thread on rs25.com.

779337229_JzshR-M.jpg

'07 STi dash in '95 Impreza - mock-up
Of course the dash bar was more difficult to install than he originally thought. We ended up modifying the brackets a bit and got it to bolt in. I think we show that in a later post.

Fair

On Vacation
Quick update for Feb 12, 2010: Just a few updates here. Paul has been rounding up parts in a bit of a February Frenzy. Here's some of the things he has nabbed in the past 2 weeks:

786908751_zottL-M.jpg

• JDM market aluminum GC chassis hood. 22.4 pounds (see above)
  • Some used stock '06 STi struts for temporary use - so we can get the car rolling before the custom AST4200RRs arrive.
  • Used, complete gauge cluster/body/engine/fuel tank wiring harness from an '05 STi. The '04 harness he got previously was missing one sub-harness (that he later found - having a clean garage and accurate labeling is crucial!)
  • Used '05 STi pedal box assembly
  • Used '05 STi dash bar brackets
  • Used '05 STi Brembo brake calipers/brackets for front and rear

We also dropped off the longblock and other engine parts at WattsShop - a local engine builder experienced with complete Subaru engine builds.

Once the new main wiring harness arrives we can start to put that in, then the HVAC, dash, and interior. Then the fuel tank, rear subframe, and all of the (temporary/stock) suspension can go back in. Then brakes, wheels/tires, and it should roll. After it rolls around here, the car heads to COBB for some wiring/splicing/programming magic and tuning work.

At least that The Plan. :)

More soon,

Fair

On Vacation
Project Update for Feb 17, 2010: Went to work on Paul's car last night. Somehow he had convinced Calvin from COBB to stop by and help. Glad he was there, as Calvin knows Subarus better than Paul or I ever will. The first thing I noticed when I showed up was the JDM market STi front bumper cover was installed. The car is a lot better looking already.

791256242_KzRuj-S.jpg
791256374_PYiF8-S.jpg

The biggest accomplishment of the night was the fuel tank. The '95 tank didn't have provisions for the rear wheel drive axle, so the '07 tank was needed. But the '95 had chassis several missing or different items that the '07 tank would normally connect to. Paul, Calvin and I spent most of the evening re-routing, modifying, and tweaking these differences - luckily Paul had all of the '07 fuel and vent lines. While under the car pounds of dried mud fell into my face, hair and eyes - brotha needs to do some cleaning under this car!

We found and/or made hoses for all of the different ports on the '07 tank and made it all work (well... we'll know for sure when its fired up). Calvin was pretty certain we took care of everything properly, and he's done some funky Subaru swaps. We mounted the tank, fuel filler lines, fuel feed/return/vent lines, and most importantly - installed the rear wiring harness above the tank from the '04 harness (by this time the missing '04 harness bits were found). This harness had to be routed above the tank, so the tank had been waiting to go in for weeks until the new harness was sourced/found. The tank is all buttoned up and awaiting the rear subframe install next...

791256489_Ro6GR-S.jpg
791256765_dUiGo-S.jpg

The Mishimoto aluminum radiator went in place, and fit beautifully. The new '07 STi rear subframe shown below was to be installed next, followed by a bunch of other rear suspension parts, but Paul somehow lost the subframe mounting bolts... both sets. The ones from the '95 and the ones from the '07 were both missing. We spent a good 30 minutes tearing apart his garage looking for those 4 bolts, to no avail. Messy is inefficient.

791256608_rJsmS-S.jpg
791256886_xECm3-S.jpg

Oh well, until next time. :)

Fair

On Vacation
Project Update for April 8, 2010: Paul is in Japan all week on vacation, but we did some suspension work on his car 2 weeks ago and I am finally getting around to the update.

823508940_BhXiQ-S.jpg
823509176_YRzMW-S.jpg

We spent some time here at the shop using the press to push out the old rubber bushings from the front and rear control arms and spindles, then pressing in new Whiteline poly bushings and ball joints. This was a chore - we spent a good 90 minutes on these, at least. Some of the rubber bushings had to be drilled/cut out, because they were stuck in the arms/steel sleeves.

823509396_Vdjrk-S.jpg
823509966_ZuHtB-S.jpg

He brought dirty parts into my shop. My OCD started to kick in and I got a twitch... so I had to take his crusty control arms and clean them up. They shine like new now.

823510545_R4mAA-S.jpg
823510667_SRqvx-S.jpg

Once the arms were done we went back to his garage and tinkered with the dash some more. McCall joined us and we redrilled the flanges for the '07 dash bar, made some templates for some other dash brackets we need, etc. The steering column now fits, the harness is in, and its close to being wrapped up inside. Paul even found some nice 2 door, black "2.5 RS" door interior door panels to swap in, which look better than the old '95 panels and fit better with the '07 dash in place (the doors won't close with the '95 door panels and '07 dash in place - there's a raised area on those door panels where the new dash now sits).

823510845_AM3nK-S.jpg
823512283_tr5T6-S.jpg

After a lot of pushing and pulling we managed to get the '04 STi main harness to fit through the various firewall openings in the '95 L. It looks almost factory, even though the firewall openings are significantly different between the early '90s and late '00s Imprezas. Out back, right now there's a halfshaft that's stuck inside the R180 rear differential (the '07 STI it came from side-swiped a curb, so that halfshaft is fubar) so that needs some attention at from Calvin at COBB to remove.

823511897_bjxZg-S.jpg
823511544_hbnDJ-S.jpg

The interior work is crucial to making all of this fit and function and look right, its just not very glamorous work to look at here (sorry). Oh well, the project is progressing along nicely - very close to drivetrain installaiton time (in retrospect - not so much!). The motor (built at WattsShop) is supposedly done, so that's going to go in soon. And the AST 4200RRs are due to arrive in the next month or so. Paul has some bolt-on flares he has found that we could use (temporarily) to cover the 275/35/18 tires and 18x9.5" wheels, but I am not so sure.

More soon,

Fair

On Vacation
Project Update for June 21, 2010: Paul has been hacking away at little bits on the Impreza, but progress has been slow (and he's been pitching in on our $2010 Challenge build for most of the summer). I went by last Saturday morning to help him get the R180 rear axle re-installed. He has some other new parts on hand and I snapped some pics:

908781183_2yiGa-L.jpg

AST 4200 RR shocks and Vorshlag camber plates (front and rear) were delivered. These go on soon!

908782190_HKzvJ-S.jpg
908782678_DZ83j-S.jpg

Built 2.5L (Wattshop assembled) motor is back. The crazy Moroso oilpan should help with lubrication

908783096_ETfXo-S.jpg
908784230_zAGdM-S.jpg

Steering column is in and looks good

908785049_DFWXb-S.jpg
908781709_aL4KS-S.jpg

Left: Paul found a good deal on used STi Brembo calipers. Right: The UltraShield+sliding bracket is ready to bolt in

908784577_cAkQY-S.jpg
908785550_nzPNc-S.jpg

Left: The axle housing was removed and the damaged halfshaft was pulled @ COBB. Right: Its in its new home now!

There was one rear diff to subframe stud that was buggered up but we fixed it at my shop later that day and Paul installed it and buttoned up the rear axle mounting that afternoon.

More soon,

Fair

On Vacation
Project Update for June 28, 2010: I went by Paul's last Wednesday night to help him with some fuel line questions. Paul and another local AST/Vorshlag tester/SCCA racer Henry Lin were about to install the transmission, so I stuck around to help for a bit.

913051862_WeDEi-S.jpg
913054276_aqdm8-S.jpg

913049232_tg2Nm-S.jpg
913049925_7vp2T-S.jpg

We got the trans in with Henry and me bench pressing it up into position while Paul started the bolts. Then we looked at the fuel lines, trying to get the car's factory lines ('95 Impreza) to line up with the ones on the motor ('04 STi) and the fuel tank ('07 STi). Come to find out Paul managed to get the '04 chassis hard lines to fit the '95 chassis the next day, and all is well.

913053469_7bvpk-S-1.jpg
913053847_eaDrC-S.jpg

913052259_ssP4K-S.jpg
913052520_gxUyz-S.jpg

Paul also stuck a front fender on there, as shown in the first row of pics. Since then he's installed some suspension bits, and even some wheels and tires!

913050583_6zmVq-S.jpg
913050972_tnBpo-S.jpg

Yes, the camber plate above is not a GC specific unit, its just a GD plate that's clocked to fit the GC. I've got more GC plates being made

There's now a formal challenge between Paul Magyar and Jason McCall to see who can finish their project car enough to "make a lap under its own power with no parts falling off". That's a much needed challenge. I'm trying to split my (very little) free time helping them both on their projects. After the 2010 SCCA Solo Nats in September and the $2010 GRM Challenge in October, I'll be a lot more freed up to pitch in.

More soon,

Fair

On Vacation
Project Update for July 16, 2010: I went by Paul's on Wednesday night to help him do some more assembly on the '95 L, and was again joined by local STi racer Henry Lin and Calvin from COBB Tuning. We worked on various stuff for a few hours and got some more work knocked out. It was hot as Hell.

936736053_H3ZPy-S.jpg
936736429_m5Mvd-S.jpg

The "big wheels" (18x9.5") went from the '08 to the '95, and they almost kinda sort wanted to fit under the stock '95 fenders

More importantly, Paul actually worked on the project on his own, since we last met. Amazing! He had installed much of the suspension and brakes, and mocked-up his 18x9.5" wheels that used to be on his '08 STI. Seeing his daily driven '08 STI car on the itty-bitty stock wheels was kinda funny. :D

936736996_jHCk5-S.jpg
936745795_xNV7r-S.jpg

Ignore the caption some tard put in the picture (me) - that's actually a 275/35/18 Dunlop on an 18x9.5" wheel!

Maybe he really means to sell the '08 after all? I'll believe it when he removes the AST 4200s and puts the stock suspension back on - he can't stand to drive on marshmallow suspension very long. If anyone has a clean GC8 Outback Sport or another affordable, clean Subaru commuter, speak up! He doesn't need a $35K daily driver (that's all too tempting to take and thrash on a road course) with all of his other race cars and trucks. :p

936743872_qCk4M-S.jpg
936740318_gEnm6-S.jpg

The fuel line problems noted in my last update were solved by swapping all the "in-cabin" hard fuel lines to the ones from the wrecked '07 STi donor... with a little wiggling they fit the '95 chassis fine, and now all of the '07 flex lines snap into place with ease - the entire fuel system is now '07 STi, from tank to engine. Oh, and Paul installed the AST 4200-RR shocks, too. The Brembo calipers are awaiting installaiton when the new rear rotors arrive.

936740664_CvFkS-S.jpg
936746473_TKT7R-S.jpg

While Calvin and Henry helped Paul assemble all of the myriad stock parts to the fully built 2.5L long block, I stayed under the car and installed the driveshaft, rear diff cover, and the shifter (mostly). I hadn't ever worked on any of these bits on a Subaru and I was amazed at their heavy kludgeishness. Subaru!

936739281_4tLY4-S.jpg
936746932_T4APE-S.jpg

Paul had already finished up the final install of the '07 dash, steering column, and had a new windshield put in earlier that week. And took no pictures of how he made the small adapter brackets, the douche! His UltraShield Rally Pro seat and slider (formerly in his '08 STi) bolted in place in the '95 with zero effort - took me 5 minutes. The '95 Impreza door panels don't match the '07 dash, so the side doors haven't been closed in a while. That was bugging me to no end (leave the doors open on a car for 9 months around an OCD person??). So at the end of the evening we all took the time to install one of the 2.5 RS door cards, and they fit beautifully - and allow the doors to close, finally!

936742362_ej4Y7-S.jpg
936742912_5zwcq-S.jpg
936743262_NxpcQ-S.jpg

We need to address the fenders soon, as they won't clear the 275mm tires without some serious persuasion... of the plasma and hammer variety. Also, a lot of items have been checked off of Paul's Project Whiteboard. McCall better catch up (there's a bet to see who can finish their project car first) as Paul is quickly catching and passing in his project's progress! :D

More soon,

Fair

On Vacation
Project Update for August 25, 2010: I stopped by Paul's last Sunday to grab some fire sleeve from him for our $2010 GRM E30 V8 project, and while there I took a few pics of the latest progress on his '07 STi drivetrain swap into his '95 FWD 2-door Impreza. One of these days the motor might go in and the rest of the suspension and brakes might go on!

First off, the rear brake rotors are on. Well, one corner. Paul bought "the cheapest rotors money could buy" for the back, just to get the damn thing rolling and to help move things forward. Sure, there's probably some super secret JDM rotor that is .02 pounds lighter, or made from Unobtanium, but "why slow down to get every silly whiz-bang part?" I keep asking him? "Get it running and fine tune this little stuff later!" I remind him weekly. :)

980005294_UQw6e-S.jpg
980006245_URJzd-S.jpg

Paul found some longer ARP wheel studs ($7+ each) and replaced the stock length wheel studs, along with Vorshlag M12-1.25 lug nuts. He had to re-machine the heads slightly on the rear studs to allow for installaiton in the rear without removing the rear wheel bearings. There's a wheel speed sensor hole in the rear brake backing plate that is just a hair too small, but with a .015" removed from the OD of the head of the stud, it slides thru. He machined 10 of them using our lathe in about an hour. Removing a sensor ring from the drive flange allows the old studs to be pushed (hammered) out and the new, long ARP studs to go in. The front didn't take this amount of work, luckily, but he hadn't gotten to that yet.

980010744_isyQt-S.jpg
980007414_CrodN-S.jpg

The shifter was still half-installed from last month, so Paul could hunt down some "missing" parts. That he purchased, and when he went to go put them on they were attached... to the shifter. That I had installed... Hey, I didn't know what that crap looks like, don't blame me! That's what they get for having 3 Subaru guys standing around eating pizza while the non-Subaru guy did all the work under the car to install the shifter. Sheesh. :D

The fancy competition type transmission mount assembly he bought from Japan for 58 million yen (or something) was sitting on the workbench, so I snapped a pic of that. The stock type Subaru trans and motor mounts are a HIDEOUS JOKE, with large amounts of foamy rubber that has the stiffness of a Stay Puff Marshmallow, so these are a huge step up. It's made me look more closely at making Subaru driveline mounts - the choices are extremely limited (with "harder rubber" versions being the commonly used but still terrible option). I dunno... if it ain't pink or JDM, the Subaru market doesn't rate it very high. :D

980011470_6Vb72-S.jpg
980016101_oichF-S.jpg

Those are... uhhh... Subaru motor pictures. Paul has been chasing down some hard to find doo-dads for weeks and months, some of which are especially expensive aftermarket parts that are now out of production, which will replace some poorly designed factory piece for the US market cars. Most of it, to me, looks like simple fabricated tubing or whatnot. But apparently these rare JDM parts are the hotness, and help the 2.5L boosted engines make more horsepowers.

980014261_JJvWn-S.jpg
980012656_Y68ia-S.jpg

Above are more of the same... at left is the US Market "turbulence generators" or flux capacitors or whatever its called. Its not individual throttle bodies, its a way to add turbulence/swirl to the intake port that supposedly helps with exhaust emissions. At right are some "JDM" Subaru parts without the added turbulence generating extra throttle blades, which are hard to get and supposedly add power. Looks like the same parts with the throttles/shafts removed to me, but what do I know?

All I know is that finding these rare gems and JDM pieces is slowing down this build immensely. But with our E30 V8 swap creeping into week 40+, and with the pace never slowing down much below 4 nights a week, I can't throw stones from my glass house. :D

JDM, YO!

Keep at it, Paul.