700+ whp Subaru Bugeye

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
HOLY $#$#@$@#$@$@$@

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It's a good thing they did all that on a 35 mph street instead of the highway! :tup: :rofl:

I love the hysterical laughter under WOT because it's literally what happens! :rofl:

ZackUSAF82

School zones at recess are a much better location for things like this...

But joking aside, that is insane...and here I thought getting to around 350awhp was going to be fun. :lol:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Slow spool, small power band, un-streetable clutch, speeding tickets galore, woefully unreliable, good only for the 1/4 mile... Anything over 450 is useless IMO

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Slow spool, small power band, un-streetable clutch, speeding tickets galore, woefully unreliable, good only for the 1/4 mile... Anything over 450 is useless IMO

Notes taken! :lol: :tup:

Bang876

I agree with HolyCrapItsFast because when I had my 05 STi which was fitted with a 35r the car was fun but just way too much power for regular street use or as a daily commuter. I was pushing 437whp on pump gas and to really get the surge of power I had to be well over 4k rpm for the sledge hammer effect. In other words you had to drive fast and aggressive just to enjoy the dame car. In my opinion that is the only way to have fun with a rotated set up. It could be difference for others but for me every time I drove the Subie on a nice day it just begs to be molested and the power band along with the slow spool really limit how docile you can drive. While on the other hand my 08 STi Hatch which at 330whp is at max torque by 4k rpm. Granted the it runs on E85 with a stock turbo but the fact still remains the car is so much more responsive and you can utilize the power in nearly every power band. The car rockets in stop and go traffic and response to my input like a go kart but is still able to quickly spool up while on the highway in sixth gear without downshifting. It might not put up great numbers compare to 400whp+ Subie but I find that in the realistic world of traffic, pedestrians, school zones, and speed limits you spend more time slowing down and speeding up then flat out balls to the walls.

Below is two dyno graph to help you compare and see the differences in power curve.

418whp 35r rotated set up

Build Cost: $11,000 w/built short block

photo58_zpsf3a0524c.jpg

330whp Stock Turbo E85

Build Cost: $2,700

photo49_zpscafd6c05.jpg

Notice how hard and early the power comes on with the 330whp graph compare to 418. Both have their pros and cons but I enjoy my little stock snail immensely :tard:

ZackUSAF82

[MENTION=1109]Bang876[/MENTION] I'm really hoping my dyno plot looks like yours when I get tuned on E85 in a few weeks, love how smooth your power band is. My 93 tune was pretty smooth but Jorge really dropped it off on the top end because I was running the stock I/C at the time. He really didn't need to but I think I scared him by telling him the car was my baby and my DD so he went uber conservative. Jorge is actually no longer tuning at IAG, so we'll see what Cleo can do with my car...still want safety first but I'm hoping my GS TMIC is enough to smooth out the powerband on my 93 tune and it shouldn't really matter on E85 since it burns so much cooler.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Believe it or not 350whp is way more fun than 700whp :D

My thoughts exactly. :bigtup:

(EDIT: You ever notice how my power goal is ~450whp. Well, there you go.)

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Wow this is a perfect example and a great explanation! :tup:

I agree with HolyCrapItsFast because when I had my 05 STi which was fitted with a 35r the car was fun but just way too much power for regular street use or as a daily commuter. I was pushing 437whp on pump gas and to really get the surge of power I had to be well over 4k rpm for the sledge hammer effect. In other words you had to drive fast and aggressive just to enjoy the dame car. In my opinion that is the only way to have fun with a rotated set up. It could be difference for others but for me every time I drove the Subie on a nice day it just begs to be molested and the power band along with the slow spool really limit how docile you can drive. While on the other hand my 08 STi Hatch which at 330whp is at max torque by 4k rpm. Granted the it runs on E85 with a stock turbo but the fact still remains the car is so much more responsive and you can utilize the power in nearly every power band. The car rockets in stop and go traffic and response to my input like a go kart but is still able to quickly spool up while on the highway in sixth gear without downshifting. It might not put up great numbers compare to 400whp+ Subie but I find that in the realistic world of traffic, pedestrians, school zones, and speed limits you spend more time slowing down and speeding up then flat out balls to the walls.

Below is two dyno graph to help you compare and see how differences in power curve.

418whp 35r rotated set up

photo58_zpsf3a0524c.jpg

330whp Stock Turbo E85

photo49_zpscafd6c05.jpg

Notice how hard and early the power comes on with the 330whp graph compare to 418. Both have their pros and cons but I enjoy my little stock snail immensely :tard:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So what im being told is that stock turbo gets you the most fun?!
[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]
What would a dom3 result at? Closer to a stock turbo or a 35r?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Though a DOM3 is a fairly quick spooler It still doesn't have the quick response of a VF39 or 48. If you are looking for a fun aftermarket turbo then I would go with an 18GXT or a 20GXT. You could conceivably end up with close to 400hp yet have great spool and low torque. Then there is also the choice of fitting your stock turbo with a billet and balanced wheel. That is my personal choice for a DD street racer.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have read that in other posts you and others have written. Whats the cost of doing all of that? (What about port and polishing the vf-39?)

Bang876

[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] I found these guys on the net and did some snooping around and they seem legit. Give them a call or email if you are interested in learning more or requir their service. I am going to rock my stock turbo for another 10k miles before beefing it up with them.

http://6starspeed.com/suvfsetupere.html

Bang876

@Bang876 I'm really hoping my dyno plot looks like yours when I get tuned on E85 in a few weeks, love how smooth your power band is. My 93 tune was pretty smooth but Jorge really dropped it off on the top end because I was running the stock I/C at the time. He really didn't need to but I think I scared him by telling him the car was my baby and my DD so he went uber conservative. Jorge is actually no longer tuning at IAG, so we'll see what Cleo can do with my car...still want safety first but I'm hoping my GS TMIC is enough to smooth out the powerband on my 93 tune and it shouldn't really matter on E85 since it burns so much cooler.
[MENTION=3266]ZackUSAF82[/MENTION] thanks man and yeah you should get a simililar power curve in you upgrade with the proper supporting mods. All I had on my was a TBE exhaust, FIC 11000cc injectors, Walbro 460lph fuel pump, Cobb Boost Control Solenoid, and a Cobb Intake. Not too much and it most diffidently did not break the bank for the amount of fun I have with the car. I am sure you will be at or exceed my power level with your intended set up.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
This still gets us excited!!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hell cat is a low 11 second car off the show room floor and a 10 second car with ONLY slicks. Granted it doesn't make 700 whp, it should still be a good race to watch! :tup: