Looking for input on gauges

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Hey guys, I'd like to add 2 gauges that have been valuable to me in the past: Wideband and Oil Pressure.

Now, the question becomes what kind, which brand, etc.? I like the idea of the "failsafe" wideband gauge and Innovate Motorsports 3882 SCG-1 wideband. They both have additional functionality which would be nice.

I plan to use an oil filter adapter plate to plumb in the oil pressure gauge. These will be housed in a SubieSpeed "cubby" gauge mount. I like the location and at $40 the price is right.

Anyone feel strongly for or against any brands or specific models? I like a simple look, I don't need to feel like I am in a space ship or night club with lights everywhere.
[FONT=&quot]IInnovate Motorsports (3882 SCG-1[/FONT]

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I know a lot people seem to like the AEM UEGO Wideband. I think it has a RS-232 output for tuning connectivity, but I'm not sure about fail safes.

I personally like Defi gauges, especially because they offered a color and start up sequence that basically matches the 2004 STi gauge cluster, but they aren't the end all be all, so to speak.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have an AEM UEGO! I think the best person to ask is [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] since I'm certain he has the most knowledge and experience with a multitude of different brands!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I have an AEM UEGO! I think the best person to ask is @HolyCrapItsFast since I'm certain he has the most knowledge and experience with a multitude of different brands!

Funny you mention George because when I bought his 06 it had EVO gauges in it that I actually liked pretty well. I'm having Jordan at Defined price out the pro series of those gauges as we speak. Just wanted to see if anyone else really liked other options.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
A question I probably should have asked from the start is...do i really need a wideband at this point in the game? I will be running the OTS Cobb stage 1 map and not doing any additional tuning until I begin doing other power mods over a year in the future. If I do not really need it, would you guys suggest something along with oil pressure that you have found particularly useful to monitor?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Most of the gauges aren't really *needed* outside of tuning and/or highly strung engines (like race cars at the racetrack)

Boost-interesting, but unless you suspect something's off you can totally ignore it
Wideband-ditto
EGT-ditto
Oil pres-ditto (slightly more warning if you're about to grenade your engine, but you have to be staring at it 24/7 to catch a catastrophe in the making)
Oil temp-ditto (SLIGHTLY more information for when you can start going WOT after starting up, but how often are you trying to do that near a cold start?)

So...meh on guages.

I had this one: http://www.daddysscp.com/product_p/gr3in1-bst.htm
It was designed to look OEM, but I had a few issues with it. Mine was in the first batch, so maybe I'm a loner, but you might want to google it before putting down change on it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Do you really need one? I can't be certain since I'm not a tuner, but I don't think so. The Stage 1 is a rich tune with a little more boost for the stock downpipe. There should be no overboosting issues. However, you can never be too safe and the choice is ultimately up to you. Looks like it TARGETS 3 PSI more than stock. https://www.cobbtuning.com/maps/2015-subaru-wrx-sti-stage-1-map

Do the 2015+ STi models have a beefier oil pickup tube compared to the earlier models? If so, I don't think you necessarily need an oil pressure gauge. Just let the car properly warm up and don't be like other imbeciles out there who start their car and within 10 seconds are going 50%+ throttle.

I suppose the key words are: "need" and "necessary." Theoretically, I'd imagine that you don't NEED a wideband because you're not getting a custom tune especially made for your car.

I also just remembered, the 2015+ models have the built in oil temperature sensor in the center dash screen. I think that's good enough, honestly, and a big advantage over the previous model years.

If you MUST spend money, then you need to weigh out your options and prioritize on what you believe is more important.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Most of the gauges aren't really *needed* outside of tuning and/or highly strung engines (like race cars at the racetrack)

Boost-interesting, but unless you suspect something's off you can totally ignore it
Wideband-ditto
EGT-ditto
Oil pres-ditto (slightly more warning if you're about to grenade your engine, but you have to be staring at it 24/7 to catch a catastrophe in the making)
Oil temp-ditto (SLIGHTLY more information for when you can start going WOT after starting up, but how often are you trying to do that near a cold start?)

So...meh on guages.

I had this one: http://www.daddysscp.com/product_p/gr3in1-bst.htm
It was designed to look OEM, but I had a few issues with it. Mine was in the first batch, so maybe I'm a loner, but you might want to google it before putting down change on it.

I will always have an oil pressure gauge for this reason. I had an oil line blow while driving before and I thought I smelled something and looked at the pressure gauge just in time to see it falling. Shut the car off immediately and avoided doing any damage. The oil gauges I was just looking at all have a warning you can set. I could see this coming in handy.

I would imagine you could see some bearing wear issues through increased oil temp readings? Or is that wishful thinking?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Do you really need one? I can't be certain since I'm not a tuner, but I don't think so. The Stage 1 is a rich tune with a little more boost for the stock downpipe. There should be no overboosting issues. However, you can never be too safe and the choice is ultimately up to you. Looks like it TARGETS 3 PSI more than stock. https://www.cobbtuning.com/maps/2015-subaru-wrx-sti-stage-1-map

Do the 2015+ STi models have a beefier oil pickup tube compared to the earlier models? If so, I don't think you necessarily need an oil pressure gauge. Just let the car properly warm up and don't be like other imbeciles out there who start their car and within 10 seconds are going 50%+ throttle.

I suppose the key words are: "need" and "necessary." Theoretically, I'd imagine that you don't NEED a wideband because you're not getting a custom tune especially made for your car.

I also just remembered, the 2015+ models have the built in oil temperature sensor in the center dash screen. I think that's good enough, honestly, and a big advantage over the previous model years.

If you MUST spend money, then you need to weigh out your options and prioritize on what you believe is more important.

Yeah I will definitely be running an oil pressure gauge but maybe I will just forego anything else until I need it for tuning purposes. Thanks to all of your for the input.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I will always have an oil pressure gauge for this reason. I had an oil line blow while driving before and I thought I smelled something and looked at the pressure gauge just in time to see it falling. Shut the car off immediately and avoided doing any damage. The oil gauges I was just looking at all have a warning you can set. I could see this coming in handy.

I would imagine you could see some bearing wear issues through increased oil temp readings? Or is that wishful thinking?

Every person and their experience is unique, and here is a perfect example of that. So, now you know your priorities! :tup:

Oh, shit! [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] , you just reminded me that the 2015+ models' oil temperature gauge screen is also a boost gauge! It has both, so I think he's set in that department!!!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Every person and their experience is unique, and here is a perfect example of that. So, now you know your priorities! :tup:

Oh, shit! @Grinder34 , you just reminded me that the 2015+ models' oil temperature gauge screen is also a boost gauge! It has both, so I think he's set in that department!!!

I wasn't sure if they were really accurate or were more of a calculation/delayed response gauge that just "looks cool".

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I wasn't sure if they were really accurate or were more of a calculation/delayed response gauge that just "looks cool".

What has been your peak boost according to the gauge? (I don't know if that's supposed to be in S# mode, but I'd imagine that as the case.) The stock tune is supposed to be right around 14.5 PSI, give or take 0.1.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
What has been your peak boost according to the gauge? (I don't know if that's supposed to be in S# mode, but I'd imagine that as the case.) The stock tune is supposed to be right around 14.5 PSI, give or take 0.1.

I'll be honest, I haven't paid a lot of attention to it as I assumed it was more for looks that anything useful. Reflecting back I suppose it would have told me if the car use to have a different tune on it. I am pretty sure it must have been on a stage 1 map or had the boost messed with before (if the gauge is accurate) since it was up around 17 I believe. Since I reset everything after buying it I would have to look and see what it shows as my peak. I was thinking close to 15 but could be mistaken.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'll be honest, I haven't paid a lot of attention to it as I assumed it was more for looks that anything useful. Reflecting back I suppose it would have told me if the car use to have a different tune on it. I am pretty sure it must have been on a stage 1 map or had the boost messed with before (if the gauge is accurate) since it was up around 17 I believe. Since I reset everything after buying it I would have to look and see what it shows as my peak. I was thinking close to 15 but could be mistaken.

I think you should test it out next time you get the chance and that'll give us an idea. I don't ever recall it being just a gimmick, though.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
For the sake of debate, I have 3 Defi gauges in an ATI triple-mount clock pod (that replaces the dashboard clock above the radio). In it, I have Boost, Oil Temperature and EGT. Oil temp *can* give you an idea of oil pressure if you know what to look for, though it's probably not as important as an oil pressure gauge. EGTs *can* directly relate to a given AFR. i.e. things are getting too hot, it's probably because I am running lean. And boost...well, because who doesn't like a boost gauge. :lol:

I was gifted those gauges many years ago, otherwise I might have chosen something different. But I do really like them.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I had my wife check the peak boost reading for me since I drove the beater today. She said it is showing 17.5 which from what I understand is pretty typical for the 15-17 models. They are set for 14.8 or so and depending on conditions will experience brief overboost of up to 20 on some cars. So I will start actually leaving that display up since it may prove useful. I'll watch what I get in WOT the next time I am out.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It's still winter, so we need to take that into consideration. It was in the low 10's earlier and now it's 17*.

However, it's odd that it would be overboosting on the stock exhaust... What have you read regarding overboost being typical on the 2015-2017 models? Why does it happen?

2019 Wishlist Parts - Option 2
Accessport
Wideband Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge Filter Adapter Plate
Cubby Gauge Holder
Grimmspeed AOS
~$1,225

With the AP out the way, how much are the oil pressure gauge, adapter plate, and the GS AOS going to run you? If there are any funds remaining, why don't you start looking for a used CBE?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
It's still winter, so we need to take that into consideration. It was in the low 10's earlier and now it's 17*.

However, it's odd that it would be overboosting on the stock exhaust... What have you read regarding overboost being typical on the 2015-2017 models? Why does it happen?

2019 Wishlist Parts - Option 2
Accessport
Wideband Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge Filter Adapter Plate
Cubby Gauge Holder
Grimmspeed AOS
~$1,225

With the AP out the way, how much are the oil pressure gauge, adapter plate, and the GS AOS going to run you? If there are any funds remaining, why don't you start looking for a used CBE?

The numbers I provided are happening on stock STis. Not sure what is allowing it to do that in the tune, but with just a tune the issue mostly goes away.

Still waiting on Jordan to get me some numbers. I gave him too many things...luckily he has never seemed to mind. I am thinking I will be looking at about $400 or so for those things. I am actually quite happy with my exhaust and will get into that once I do the big motor build. Basically this thing is going to stay Stage 1 until I'm ready to spend big bucks on the rebuild. Hopefully that will be a ways off. Before I get there I will be looking into a carbon driveshaft, wheels, suspension upgrades.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The numbers I provided are happening on stock STis. Not sure what is allowing it to do that in the tune, but with just a tune the issue mostly goes away.

Still waiting on Jordan to get me some numbers. I gave him too many things...luckily he has never seemed to mind. I am thinking I will be looking at about $400 or so for those things. I am actually quite happy with my exhaust and will get into that once I do the big motor build. Basically this thing is going to stay Stage 1 until I'm ready to spend big bucks on the rebuild. Hopefully that will be a ways off. Before I get there I will be looking into a carbon driveshaft, wheels, suspension upgrades.

Then, you're almost set in terms of power mods! Again, I recommend figuring out what exact suspension components you want and then looking for deals on used parts. I'm not in particular with any specific brands. For me, it's been whatever the best deal I could find was. :tup: I think [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] can help you in the carbon fiber driveshaft department.

Wheels may be the biggest hurdle, but we will eventually conquer it!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I LOVE my carbon fiber driveshaft. Got that from Jordan as well. They usually go on sale once a year for ~$900. Otherwise, they are usually ~$1,100.