JDM in USA

diegodscm

Hello Guys, My Name is Diego, I am From Guatemala

I own a Subaru Impreza WRX STI 2000 JDM Right hand drive.

I have been planning to move to the states in a couple of months, however, I just don?t want to leave my car here.

I have been working for him since a couple of years and I finally got it. I just wonder how does the laws works in ?.. so I can bring my car. I will like my car to be legally transit in the US. Get license plates and everything.

I was thinking In drive all the way form Guatemala to US, ill like to know what do you guys think about that. And if you have any other suggestion, it will be more than welcome. The cheapest way the better for me.

Thank you guys for your help, ill appreciate it. :tup:
tumblr_nodnecNgGH1rw80mdo1_250.jpg
tumblr_nodnecNgGH1rw80mdo3_500.jpg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm not sure you will find the answer to this hear. I know what hoops a person has to jump through to get a Skyline GTR hear legally and they make it almost impossible. I'm not sure about any of the Subaru's though. You need to contact the local motor vehicle department where you plan to reside and discuss your options with them. They will surly steer you in the right direction.

Another (be it illegal) way is to find a old cheap USDM car of the same year and switch VIN numbers. But you didn't hear it from me.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
What do you know about importing JDM cars into the states, [MENTION=5041]FilthyMonkey187[/MENTION]? I know you have looked at bringing a GTR here. Can you offer any advice to Diego?

FilthyMonkey187

[MENTION=4343]diegodscm[/MENTION]; i have been doing some research on this matter and what i have found differs from state to state. there are a few things you need to know before importing any vehicle into this country.

1. it may need to pass an emissions test (depending on what state you are moving to).
2. there will be customs fees.
3. the title will have to be transferred to a US title as opposed to the current one. or a new one will be issued.
4. depending on the state it will be in, there will be registration fees, title fees and plate fees.
5. you will need proof of insurance state side.

in my opinion, the best possible way to find out what needs to be done, i would contact the DMV (dept. motor vehicles) in said state and the border patrol and ask questions. tell them your plan and they should be able to give you the answers you are looking for, or atleast point you in the right direction.

hopefully this helps, and plz let me know what your findings are. this is great knowledge to have as i am looking to import a skyline GTR33 sometime in the future. :tup::welcome:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
One other thing i've heard is that you can ship a car and engine seperately and it can become a "kit car." I looked into doing that for a buddy moving to australia recently and it was relatively clear on whatever aussie government site about the requirements. I think i first heard of it from a buddy doing it from GB to US. If doing that, I would ship the engine and body far enough apart (in time, or even from different places) that they dont arrive next to eachother and tip off a customs agent to the obvious loophole.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
One other thing i've heard is that you can ship a car and engine seperately and it can become a "kit car." I looked into doing that for a buddy moving to australia recently and it was relatively clear on whatever aussie government site about the requirements. I think i first heard of it from a buddy doing it from GB to US. If doing that, I would ship the engine and body far enough apart (in time, or even from different places) that they dont arrive next to eachother and tip off a customs agent to the obvious loophole.
[MENTION=5041]FilthyMonkey187[/MENTION], check that out!!! ^^^

Badass, Grinder! I never thought of that.