Air/Oil Seperator. Your thoughts please?

Scooby

Who?s using them and do you need any additional tune to use one?

i am assuming this will void your warranty?

Who?s using them and do you need any additional tune to use one?

i am assuming this will void your warranty?
Tune isn't needed and I would suggest one or at least a catch can or combo of both.

I'm not sure about the warranty claim question.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If we're tagging people, then...
[MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION] [MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION]

I use one and definitely think you should too. If you like to drive the car hard it is a must! You will not need a tune to use one. And I don't think it will void warranty but that will be up to the stealership you take it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I use one and definitely think you should too. If you like to drive the car hard it is a must! You will not need a tune to use one. And I don't think it will void warranty but that will be up to the stealership you take it too

Accurate on all points. That said, stealerships are actually in violation of the law if the void a warranty or refuse warranty work based on a modification, unless they can prove that exact mod caused a failure. I can hardly imagine the mental gymnastics required to "prove" that an AOS/catch-can caused a failure.

Accurate on all points. That said, stealerships are actually in violation of the law if the void a warranty or refuse warranty work based on a modification, unless they can prove that exact mod caused a failure. I can hardly imagine the mental gymnastics required to "prove" that an AOS/catch-can caused a failure.
You are correct about that but again it doesn't mean they wont try.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
AOS or catch-can is a must, IMO! There is a great debate about AOS where you're putting "dirty" oil back into the engine. That's why people opt for the catch can. The drawback is the AOS is worry-free, while the catch cans have to be monitored.

However, monitoring the catch can will let you know if you have a problem, or if the problem suddenly gets much worse.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Is one brand better than another? I was looking at Crawford.

Its been a while since I looked at this but there are definitely differences.

The crawford is good in that is integrates a coolant line so you dont get gunk buildup in the cold. Others will have this feature as well.

I seem to recall that the grimspeed AOS has some concerns with oil sloshing up the filler neck, or some other potentially dangerous issue.

Then there are AOS the integrate a physical medium to allow the oil to collect on, like a steel wool. I don't know if its worth it, or necessary, but its at least a feature.

Ultimately there are pretty simple devices. If you can weld, you can make one. So I would look more towards fitment and, frankly, looks than most of the other stuff. So with that being said, the Crawford is a good piece, just may be more expensive than a similarly performing alternative. But its a complete and proven package that'll bolt right in without much hassle.

Scooby

Does the installation require permanent alterations to the car? Do you have to drill holes to install?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Does the installation require permanent alterations to the car? Do you have to drill holes to install?

From what I've seen, they're a direct bolt on modification.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm considering a catch can so I can avoid tapping into the coolant system. Is it reasonable to check/empty the catch can every oil change or are more frequent observations necessary?

Looking at http://www.radiumauto.com/Dual-Catch-Can-Kit-Subaru-02-142015-STiSaab-9-2X-P817.aspx

Depends! How often do you change your oil? Also, how much blowby do you have?

When you first install it, monitor it regularly, then you'll get an idea of how often you'll need to empty, be it weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc...