Flex Fuel tuning, blending.

trilaxx

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some insight what I should look at to rich'n my AFR.

Followed Cobbs guide for flex fuel tuning to the T and car is running great, 93 map is dialed in and over all blending is working great. Except during high load/WOT. I'm targeting 11.5AFR for now, but I'm seeing lots of 12-12.3 during pulls. My timing is conservative so no knock yet (love this e85). Ethanol blend is around 67%.

What my map looks like:
AVCS=Stock
Timing=Conservative
Boost =23 and tapering
93AFR = Target 11.1
E85AFR= 11.5-11.7

From what I understand, and could be very wrong here, I should not have to adjust the my SD VE table as its suppose to blend. If I adjust that table then my 93 AFR will be off. So I'm guessing I have to adjust the Fuel Injector scale blending table to add more fuel/blend more.

Here is an image of the stock blending table vs what I think I need to do.
9b8mKPy.png

Modded:
PXVzM3Y.png

Or am I on the wrong track and there are other things I should adjust.

Thanks for all the help,

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!!

The main person that can help you would be [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] . These people may perhaps be able to help as well: [MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=692]Eagleye[/MENTION]

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Sorry above my pay grade, I would trust Holy on this one. Send him a PM. As long as you aren?t in a big hurry he should get back to you eventually.

There is another really good tuning guide floating around. If I find it I?ll post a link.

good luck!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Looks like the website that hosts the tuning guide is down. I will check my physical printed copy of the guide when I get home tonight if no one is able to point you in the right direction by then. This is above my pay grade as well since I never put in the effort to actually learn it. However, I'll try helping out if I can. :tup:

trilaxx

Appreciate all the help!, If there is another guide that would help, I'll try scouring Google myself.

Cobb's Flex Fuel guide really does cover the topic pretty well. Does not tell you how to tune of course but gets the car
running without issue. I do have to say, going to e85, is a WOW factor. No more knock, no more worrying and listening for every sound.

I also went over to https://www.hpacademy.com website and signed up for their Flex fuel course. Andre over there is really good at relaying this info. Worth the money spent. I kinda got my answer, up to 12.5:1 AFR is fine but there really is no gain at that lean, so no reason to run it (disclaimer, at-least e70 required for that afr). I also can adjust that blending table I posted about. So you know what I'm doing this weekend.

Thanks,

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I know fuel economy doesn't matter at this stage, but I am curious. What kind of MPG do you get currently with E85?

trilaxx

I know fuel economy doesn't matter at this stage, but I am curious. What kind of MPG do you get currently with E85?
I've only gone through 3 tanks so far and not really paid attention. This is a weekend car only and I drive the hell out out most the time. I may get 160-180 miles on a tank. This is a 2006 STI. Now I may get 140-160, from what I can tell. So definitely a few MPGs drop. But it's so worth it if you have fill up stations close by.

I'm sure the negatives will impact me at some time and I'll make the needed changes then. For now since I self tune, I'll enjoy the amazing properties of this fuel.

My block is stock with upgraded forged pistons, 20g td06 and everything else you can through at it to support it. I know now it's a matter of time before she blows, but I'll have fun until then.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Is this what you're looking for?
kICo0Pd.png

Yup need to talk to the one and only George the great aka @holycrapits fast. The man is great with tuning and he is very smart with E85. I have one of his flex fuel kits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yamahaSHO

For anything fuel related, keep the stock blending table. The idea, in your example, is to have the scalar change with the fuel. For things like boost, timing, AVCS, etc, you can have a different ramp-rate to make the best use of those tables.

I just realized this is old, so hopefully you already found this out.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
For anything fuel related, keep the stock blending table. The idea, in your example, is to have the scalar change with the fuel. For things like boost, timing, AVCS, etc, you can have a different ramp-rate to make the best use of those tables.

Don’t worry about how old the threads are. If you come across any other old threads you can chime in on, I hope that you do. We need to get more activity on this site!

Grinder34

Track Monkey

You dont often comment, but its usually something that makes me smarter! (y)