Tablet in console as a Guage, logging and reflashed device.

I'm curious to see if anybody has successfully installed a tablet that is windows compatible for tuning, data logging, and as a Guage using a tactrix cable?

I'm considering relocating the radio to the glove box and using the center dash as the area to mount a tablet in dash using a tactrix cable and a charging device.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have a car PC that does all that plus is my main entertainment, hands free phone and GPS system. I would imagine that anything you can do on a Windows based PC can be done on a windows based tablet. There are people who have done it. I am just not sure of the details.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I saw someone on Nasioc selling an AEM AFR gauge with a Windows tablet. He didn't show how it worked, though.

Ok I'm going to see if I can get a tablet just for the car and mount it where it can be a semi permanent method so I can use it as a Guage and data logger when it's not being used to reflash the ecu.

Let me know what you come up with. Just stay away from the ARM based tablets as you will not be able to run standard .exe files in windows.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Let me know what you come up with. Just stay away from the ARM based tablets as you will not be able to run standard .exe files in windows.

I did not know this! Thanks for the heads up :tup:

I did not know this! Thanks for the heads up :tup:

Part of my job is evaluating equipment for my department. This includes looking at tables, such as surface pro vs surface rt and laptops to come up with what we need. That being said arm based processors use a different type of CPU that does not work with programing made for the x86 processors like intel and AMD.

Thanks for your insight on that especially since I'm trying to save money and have chosen to go with a tactrix cable and open source tune over cob ap. I have my first gen cob and tuning software currently but we all know that cob tuners doesn't support their original ap anymore and pretty much forces you to upgrade. I'm just trying to eliminate any forced upgrades when and if the new cob ap become obsolete.

[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] so which car PC do you use or recommend since I'm looking in to car PC's now for the purpose of data logging, reflashing and to use as an in dash gauge?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I built it from scratch. I forget what mother board I am using currently but it is a mini ITX board. I selected it for it's sound and usb resources mostly. I have an SSD drive and an intel i7 and 32g DDR3 so it boots almost instantly. The power supply is an M4-ATX from mini-box designed for a car environment.

I built it from scratch. I forget what mother board I am using currently but it is a mini ITX board. I selected it for it's sound and usb resources mostly. I have an SSD drive and an intel i7 and 32g DDR3 so it boots almost instantly. The power supply is an M4-ATX from mini-box designed for a car environment.
I'm jealous that I'm not a computer savvy person like you are George.

PS I found this last night while researching on the web.
ceb662c0abbdfe9b1ef7e89233173426.jpg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Oh cool! I also found that 4D Systems put my flex fuel kit YouTube video up as user video of the month!

Well I can put together a parts list based on your goal and if you buy the parts I can put it together for you! :D No big deal

Last edited:
Oh cool! I also found that 4D Systems put my flex fuel kit YouTube video up as user video of the month!

Well I can put together a parts list based on your goal and if you buy the parts I can put it together for you! :D No big deal
Are you sure you have time for that George because I might just take you up on that offer. How much do you think it would cost all together. I already have an AFR gauge so I'd be looking at boost pressure, oil temp and pressure, coolant temp and any other goodies you'd suggest.

Yours runs off of sensors not ECU readings correct? PS your one of the most stand up guys of the Subaru cult to freely give so much info and time away to the community. I know a few of us really appreciate what you do for this community.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Are you sure you have time for that George because I might just take you up on that offer. How much do you think it would cost all together. I already have an AFR gauge so I'd be looking at boost pressure, oil temp and pressure, coolant temp and any other goodies you'd suggest.

Yours runs off of sensors not ECU readings correct? PS your one of the most stand up guys of the Subaru cult to freely give so much info and time away to the community. I know a few of us really appreciate what you do for this community.

Are we talking about building the Car PC or making a multi gauge? :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!