Fault Codes

FilthyMonkey187

ok, so i am looking at buying a BONE STOCK (not returned, but never modified)2005 STI with 79,000 miles for 14k from a guy who says there are some fault codes that come up. Below are the list of codes:

P0442 - evap emissions
P0031 - CYL 4 misfire
P0304 - Heater CNTRL circuit low bank 1
P2097 - post cat fuel trim too rich bank 1

After doing some research i have found that quite possibly an O2 sensor would take care of the second two which is not a big deal. my concern after is the P0031 code, the cyl 4 misifre. after doing some reading and talking with [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION], i have found that this could pose the biggest issue. some of the things i read were:

-harmonic balancer - due to the fact it is trying to compensate for a bad coil
-bad plugs or wires or both
-bad coil pack
-faulty injector
-failing ringland

i asked for a compression test, but have not yet heard back from the guy. (emailed like 10 minutes ago) would like some opinions, thoughts, suggestions.

also, as for the evap code, i know it could hopefully be just the fuel cap, but also read that the evap canister could be bad, the wiring going into the canister could be corroded due to the fact it sits upward and right next to the rear driver side wheel. pressure control solenoid....again, thought, suggestions, opinions.

I appreciate all of you, hopefully this is not a stupid question. lol

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Before you even start to think about repairs. How much is he asking? How many miles? What year?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Did you ever get another picture of the engine bay? Like I mentioned before, one thing I couldn't see in the pictures was the turbo. From what I've seen in the past, a lot of people that return a car to stock fail to reinstall the factory turbo heat shield which would likely be removed with a downpipe or turbo install.
Not saying I don't trust the guy, (saying it is stock, not returned to stock) I just don't trust people in general.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Honestly though, I would probably pass on this car. The fact that he never remedied these issues and is now selling it, is setting off my "Shady Detector". Plus, anytime someone mentions problems and cylinder 4 in the same conversation, I cringe.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We would want to see a compression test first.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
79k on a desirable 05 for only 14k? Sounds fishy in itself.
Throw in a bunch of random engine codes and I envision someone trying to dump it.
I'd buy if you want to gamble and possibly fix it on the cheap or potentially have to open your wallet and let a whore name her price.
One thing I'd definitely do is make him get a compression and leak down test. Not even a second look should be considered if he's unwilling to do that.
Hell, I think all Subaru owners need to advertise a compression check prior to selling.

FilthyMonkey187

Thank you all for the input. I have asked for a compression test and leak down test, more pictures of the engine bay, especially shots of the turbo, just awaiting a response.
[MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION]; [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] I agree with you two about someone just trying to dump their problems on someone else. After talking with you guys and listening to input, I am beginning to be a little more positively skeptical about this one. Will wait for the response in emails and go from there, but in the meantime will continue the search.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Compression/Leakdown for sure.

Can offer to split cost, pay for it yourself and he pays if it fails, or just have him pay. I've seen all of them done.