Brandon's 2012 ISM STI

oops forgot to show the pics of the bolts I ended up buying to bolt to the engine stand. Only two of the bel housing bolts where long enough to make it through the mounting points so I bought 4 long ones. m10x90mm
8Gm3k29.jpg

removed the water pump
X1zO5Dj.jpg

kept the line attached to the water pump after
cF90MfJ.jpg

dipstick mounting point
2PwG5w0.jpg

water pump removed
m98sxbi.jpg

ive noticed almost everything on this car takes a 10mm and 12mm bolts lol
this is what I ended up doing to break loose the cam gears. Wrapped the belt around the two cams then around the crank gear and vice gripped on both sides. Got someone to hold down the engine just incase and used a breaker bar. Took a m10 hex head rachet and it broke free. Was a lot easier than I thought it would be
kRxrwCW.jpg

disconnected the oil feed line
4ieziNU.jpg

removed the head covers and cams to drain the oil out
Q59a9DL.jpg

Heads are off :)
z7uB5EX.jpg

flipped the engine and removed the basepan then for a look. Hard to see but there are metal shavings down there. Also noticed the oil pickup tube had what seemed like pieces of gasket stuck in it. Forgot to take a pic of that
I8y51mp.jpg

and now a look at the 4 pistons. They actually arent bad at all. Spark plugs looked fine too
4PWkAJe.jpg

w3pJSXF.jpg

1OXcCnn.jpg

9JOFYuf.jpg

from looking at the pistons it doesnt seem like there was any detonation at all or very little it seems until she blew
and another pic of the heads starting to come apart but I put them back together. Ill take them apart and clean them later before I ship but the company thats doing my heads requested that they stay together
9JOFYuf.jpg

Sensor on block is your knock sensor and the one above timing belt/crank pulley is your crank position sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another little update to the journal
So finally had time to split the block
First thing I done was take out the wrist pins for the pistons
First one was behind the plate. So once you remove the 6 allen head screws the plate need to be lightly pried off due to a gasket. Once that's off there are 4 M10 screws that have to be removed. The second one is also behind that little plate at the bottom of the pic
ehFGce7.jpg

another one
5plD3O7.jpg

last one. You can see the wrist pin in both pictures
XEpByeh.jpg

Now one thing I fucked up on was getting these out. From what ive read and watched some people get a hanger and buckle it slightly to be able o reach in behind the wrist pin and haul it out once your c clips are removed. I honestly have no idea how they done this. I tried that and did not work for me I feel youd have to have the strength of a god for this haha two people pulling couldn't do it .
So for me the best option was to remove all 4 m10 or m12 bolts and use a small tool to hammer them out from the opposite side. So for the first one just look around the 4 holes for the best placement of the rods so you can get a long tool to reach in and across to the other pin and lightly hammer. Now what I fucked up was the tool part. I thought a long think flat head screw driver would be perfect... wrong.... I took a chunk out of the damn piston right outside where the wrist pin slides through. Ill grab a pic of that tonight or within a couple days.
So I found a little piece of square steel rod. Cleaned it up and shaved down one end because some spots have a tight clearance. But left it thick enough that it wouldn't work like a chisel. So once I got that tool the wrist pin slide out fairly easily. Some times you may have to lift up on a rod once you start to crank it over so that way you wont beat up the cylinder walls.
So once you remove your first wrist pin you crank it over until you can push the piston out of the cylinder wall enough to grab it and haul it out. This make take a couple attempts but it comes out pretty easily.
Piston I removed. Was told the wear was normal as long as it wasnt rough. If I dragged my fingernail across it I couldnt feel any restriction
ANMolos.jpg

Once I got all pistons out it was time for a break haha got myself a poutine hahah
fnxItvy.jpg

The it was back to work. So at this point I already had my oil cooler removed and removed the hose going to the nipple on the short block which I also removed.
8P7Vx5k.jpg

Then it was time to split. So I removed the 8 case bolts. 6 on one side and 2 on the other if im not mistaken. Ill grab some pics of those too
The using a rubber mallet hammer I hammered on the inside of the bell housing connection and on the pull attachment point on the other side. Once I had the seal broke all around I used a pry bar and just gently worked around until it was split.
The smell that comes from cracking the case bolts was terrible. My buddy called it CRANK STANK hahahaha
5lUEDeW.jpg

When it was cracked I looked around and became nervous of all the cranks but was told it was just the casting. Some where sharp edges tho
sx8yiRf.jpg

Once it was cracked I removed the crank and started taking apart the rods.
All the bearings where scored up a bit but there was one in particular that was really bad haha
Jj60uB5.jpg

when I removed that bearing this little piece was blocking the oil feed on the crank to the bearing
3g2092z.jpg

the hole I was talking about
NfPnXzl.jpg

I was going to sell my block but might actually keep and due to two reasons. One I have all the bolts placed back where they came from so it would make it easier to place the bolts again and two Ill rebuild the motor later down the road for a backup

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Sounds like an adventure.

Some day I want to have the time/energy/skills to rebuild an engine. Sounds like you need to be ready to break some stuff.

And those cracks are in the engine casting?! What the heck Subaru!

Sounds like an adventure.

Some day I want to have the time/energy/skills to rebuild an engine. Sounds like you need to be ready to break some stuff.

And those cracks are in the engine casting?! What the heck Subaru!

Yea people are telling me its just ruff casting with the blocks lol

I'm def looking forward to putting it all back together haha

Holy hell almost a year ago since I last updated this hah lots of stuff on the go since I last updated this hah bought a new daily but that's also going to be stored and getting another daily lol
New car
6M8TG8B.jpg

But anyways, trying to pick at a few thing as im going along. Getting the block cleaned up and hopefully in a month or so ill get the bottom end built and then going to paint the block black.
Got a little pic here with the engine all apart and in a container to bring it to a buddy of mine for inspection and cleaning along with a hone.
QUEEgWp.jpg

Crank ended up being no good but that seems to be the only damage so have to get a new crank as well
Then I decided to get some parts powder coated. Intake manifold and turbo housing
Cleaning manifold
BDXK98p.jpg

Turbo housing was brand new hah
LCYwYj5.jpg

Prepping both
HymhkFu.jpg

OOjZrO1.jpg

xX1wK5k.jpg

and finished product
ql2gFO5.jpg

GomWriH.jpg

duWEpKH.jpg

W1bbyR5.jpg

Also started at the widebody. Only got one fender mounted up but learned lots for the next three hah anyways some pics of that
Taped it up first to help against the paint chipping while cutting.
gTYQsGR.jpg

rHrUUcJ.jpg

Then after the cutting we got it mounted up nice and snug. Still needs some trimming and some sanding to smooth everything out
LXhTvJN.jpg

Didn't get a pic but we did get the side skirt back on and mounted that to it as well
yxyo9iz.jpg

front
uv01X8z.jpg

more to come over the course of the next year

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=3594]evans609[/MENTION] , Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit!!! I want more impressions and reviews of the Type R!!!!!!

-How long have you had it?
-How many miles have you driven?
-Are there any negative aspects of the Type R?
-Does it have any advantages over a stock STi in terms of driving?
-Does it really not have any torque steer with the advanced implemented system?
-Is it stock?
-Do you plan on modifying it if it is stock?
-What's your average fuel economy?
-What's the best fuel economy you've achieved?
-Is it quick?
-Does it under steer or over steer?
-Did you buy new or used? (If used, and don't mind disclosing price, how much?)

@evans609 , Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit!!! I want more impressions and reviews of the Type R!!!!!!

-How long have you had it?
-How many miles have you driven?
-Are there any negative aspects of the Type R?
-Does it have any advantages over a stock STi in terms of driving?
-Does it really not have any torque steer with the advanced implemented system?
-Is it stock?
-Do you plan on modifying it if it is stock?
-What's your average fuel economy?
-What's the best fuel economy you've achieved?
-Is it quick?
-Does it under steer or over steer?
-Did you buy new or used? (If used, and don't mind disclosing price, how much?)

Im loving the questions hahah ok here we go

1. Bought it February past
2. Ive gotten almost 19k miles put on or 30k KM haha I do a lot of driving
3. Negatives, well FWD is bit depending. If you want off the line acceleration this wont do it because its FWD. The other negative I got but I don't mind is road/wind noise but I didn't care for that lol
4. Compared to the STi stock for stock I really don't think the STi is close lol off the line its quicker (0-60) but the R will catch up quick. Dyno tests show that the R makes around 330-340 rather than the posted 305HP. Handling is unreal I really cant believe its a FWD. Like when I go out with my buddies with subarus they can never get away from me on turns at all, ill always catch them hah the driving modes are so different. Like comfort mode is actually comfortable lol sport is the perfect balance and R+ mode you can feel everything, the steering wheel gets so much stiffer and you can feel the car change
5. Right now its pretty much stock. Got a PRL stage 1 intake which is only a smoother silicone hose and drop in filter and I have a muffler delete because from factory its so damn quite
6. I prob plan to do a few things in the future but not a whole lot, modifying cars I find kills the fun. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed driving until I drove this car.
7. Average fuel ecomy is actually really good lol most days I get around 7.8-8.0litres per 100km
8. Best ive had was 7.4L/100km
9. Oops missed the torque steer question hahah its has very little to none lol its crazy. If you gun it from a stop the car will keep itself straight
10. It oversteers you would swear the car is RWD lol
11. Quick, def! A stock STi has no chance against it. Its the same on the highway as a Focus RS for example
12. Bought it new but it was a demo that was 2 years old and had 2300km on it but full warranty. They took $8700 off the price for me so I got the car for under 40K. It was the cheapest car I tested. I tested a Kia Stinger, Focus RS, STi, Golf R and the Type R

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Im loving the questions hahah ok here we go

1. Bought it February past
2. Ive gotten almost 19k miles put on or 30k KM haha I do a lot of driving
3. Negatives, well FWD is bit depending. If you want off the line acceleration this wont do it because its FWD. The other negative I got but I don't mind is road/wind noise but I didn't care for that lol
4. Compared to the STi stock for stock I really don't think the STi is close lol off the line its quicker (0-60) but the R will catch up quick. Dyno tests show that the R makes around 330-340 rather than the posted 305HP. Handling is unreal I really cant believe its a FWD. Like when I go out with my buddies with subarus they can never get away from me on turns at all, ill always catch them hah the driving modes are so different. Like comfort mode is actually comfortable lol sport is the perfect balance and R+ mode you can feel everything, the steering wheel gets so much stiffer and you can feel the car change
5. Right now its pretty much stock. Got a PRL stage 1 intake which is only a smoother silicone hose and drop in filter and I have a muffler delete because from factory its so damn quite
6. I prob plan to do a few things in the future but not a whole lot, modifying cars I find kills the fun. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed driving until I drove this car.
7. Average fuel ecomy is actually really good lol most days I get around 7.8-8.0litres per 100km
8. Best ive had was 7.4L/100km
9. Oops missed the torque steer question hahah its has very little to none lol its crazy. If you gun it from a stop the car will keep itself straight
10. It oversteers you would swear the car is RWD lol
11. Quick, def! A stock STi has no chance against it. Its the same on the highway as a Focus RS for example
12. Bought it new but it was a demo that was 2 years old and had 2300km on it but full warranty. They took $8700 off the price for me so I got the car for under 40K. It was the cheapest car I tested. I tested a Kia Stinger, Focus RS, STi, Golf R and the Type R

You're opening up a bottomless pit of more questions now!!! :lol:

29 MPG average is crazy!!! So, insane fuel economy for a performance vehicle, underrated power from the factory, and endless smiles from ear to ear. No torque steer and it oversteers. Sounds almost too good to be true!

-How are those performance seats in terms of comfort?
-It's a Honda, sure, but how is reliability?
-Are parts cheap and easy to source?
-What tires are you currently running?
-Will this be your new daily driver? If so, what tires will you run in the winter/colder months?

Can you please make a journal for the Type R as well?! :D I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I sure fucking am!!!!! :tup:

Alright, now with the remainder of the cars:

-Kia Stinger (presumably GT?)
-Focus RS
-Golf R

Tell me about these cars!!!

First, differences between the Focus RS and Golf R. I know the RS is actually FWD based, but let's say AWD for the sake of comparison.

Second, how was the Kia Stinger GT? Power? Handling? If I recall correctly, it's RWD with arouns 350-400 HP?

You're opening up a bottomless pit of more questions now!!! :lol:

29 MPG average is crazy!!! So, insane fuel economy for a performance vehicle, underrated power from the factory, and endless smiles from ear to ear. No torque steer and it oversteers. Sounds almost too good to be true!

-How are those performance seats in terms of comfort?
-It's a Honda, sure, but how is reliability?
-Are parts cheap and easy to source?
-What tires are you currently running?
-Will this be your new daily driver? If so, what tires will you run in the winter/colder months?

Can you please make a journal for the Type R as well?! :D I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I sure fucking am!!!!! :tup:

Alright, now with the remainder of the cars:

-Kia Stinger (presumably GT?)
-Focus RS
-Golf R

Tell me about these cars!!!

First, differences between the Focus RS and Golf R. I know the RS is actually FWD based, but let's say AWD for the sake of comparison.

Second, how was the Kia Stinger GT? Power? Handling? If I recall correctly, it's RWD with arouns 350-400 HP?

I love questions hahah

so first

1. The seats are actually extremely comfortable and bolsters are awesome. If you're a bit big you actually wont fit haha im 185lbs and it suits m perfectly but my buddy being 230 cant fit in them comfortably.
2. Reliability is good from what I can tell. They do have issues with Rods once you get around 390wtq but I will prob never reach that haha
3. For parts im actually so surprised how easy everything is to get. Now for Canadians its harder it always is but tons of support from US companies and there are new products coming out weekly haha they can be expensive at times I must say lol
4. Currently running Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s and love them! I change out and went with the 18" wheel because oem are 20" with 245/30 tires so they are like rubber bands lol they didn't ride to rough tho but we have bad roads so I wanted some more rubber lol
6. Its kind of a daily but ill be storing it this winter. I drove it last winter and used 18" wheels with Kumho tires and had no issues in the snow. Now it wasn't as good as an awd car hah
7. Not sure if a journal on here would be any good hahah
8. So the focus RS is awd and it prob rwd biased because it loves to over steer haha so my thoughts on the RS, would be an amazing car for a track car. Exhaust is throaty and deep with lots of popping, gear changing is excellent and feels precise and mechanical, handles unreal and has a great power curve, suspension is crazy stiff tho and I found it hard to think about that as a daily. They had head gasket issues in early years but fixed it. Exterior was awesome too imo, I loved the red and the blue. Inside is where it fell short, hatch was a decent room, back seats are very comfortable and isn't much room and everything felt cheap except the seat where very thin and high bolsters.

Golf R, I really enjoyed the car it would be a perfect daily. Quite in comfort mode and in the highest sport setting extra valves open in the exhaust to make it throaty (but is kind of a lie, it actually has a sound tube going to the interior so you can hear it more) now the car is like tuning a car in forza, you can adjust the suspension, steering wheel and throttle response it was pretty cool. Now the standard in those actually isn't good I didn't like the clutch feel and from what I read even at stock power the clutch wont last but the twin clutch is unreal (was actually the first company to use twin clutch). Options where cool it had a lot of neat features. Handles well but not as good as the RS or Type R and its FWD biased even tho its awd. The exterior was pretty subtle and doesn't look much different than a golf which I didn't like hahah but overall I loved the car but the dealership was terrible to deal with and that's why I walked away from that car

Now the biggest surprise was the stinger. Sadly I only tested the GT line so it was only a 2.0l turbo from the genesis. Was still peppy at 275hp/280tq I believe. They didn't have a GT there to test and that thing makes 365hp and like 340tq or something. All trims are awd and they handles pretty good. When I tested it I got the car to go sideways quite easy (now it did have winter tires on too) and the options where awesome. The lowest trim came with so much its crazy and it was so sleek looking I couldn't believe it. The engineer who created it was a former audi engineer so its shares a lot with the A7 style. Inside was top notch with good feeling materials and looked super nice and was really comfortable. Honestly if they had the v6 tiwn turbo model there I might have gotten that car lol was an unreal daily car with a huge hatch and rear seats where comfy and large, o wind noise either and crazt enough it was the most expensive car I tested haha

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thanks for all of the information! :bow:

Currently on Autotrader in the USA:

Cheapest Kia Stinger GT on Autotrader is 29k.
Cheapest Focus RS on Autotrader is 24k.
Cheapest Golf R on Autotrader is 23k.
Cheapest Type R on Autotrader is 31k.

Then, you have the car which I will own next:

Cheapest 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited DGM on Autotrader is 10.5k.

Please post more pictures of the Type R!

Thanks for all of the information! :bow:

Currently on Autotrader in the USA:

Cheapest Kia Stinger GT on Autotrader is 29k.
Cheapest Focus RS on Autotrader is 24k.
Cheapest Golf R on Autotrader is 23k.
Cheapest Type R on Autotrader is 31k.

Then, you have the car which I will own next:

Cheapest 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited DGM on Autotrader is 10.5k.

Please post more pictures of the Type R!

yea the Type R holds value wayyyy better lol and ok hahah

da1jdCH.jpg

w4YW5nP.jpg

LHpsaMP.jpg

Yrmjuz8.jpg

rWEWV5j.jpg

39GJacH.jpg

hGzNziB.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Amazing!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: