Fuel Rail Clearance Issue

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
As you can see, it appears that my fuel rails will not clear my AVCS. Anyone have any ideas? If you recall, i have about 12 days to finish this build because we sold the house. :unsure:

I have a trouble call in with FIC right now. Maybe they can tell me why they sell shit for this model year that doesn't fit this model year. :banghead:

Now I'm kicking myself for not fully converting to Top Feed. I already had some nice, billet side-feed TGV deletes to use, and why would you convert needlessly anyway.

6e3fe52ff83dfff51e45c267d4672d11.jpg

b15ea56fe6a94cd69f220d5788117d9e.jpg

cd91d612123b6219d4ed3744e6a887f7.jpg

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Re: WTF am I gonna do now...?

I was able to talk to a couple guys at Fuel Injector Clinic.

FIC: "Ummm, I looked around online and I don't see anyone else having this problem. Probably just like, delete it."

Me: "Delete what, my AVCS?"

FIC: "Yeah."

Me: "Delete my variable valve timing system...?! Dude."

Other guy at FIC: "Or like maybe a spacer or something."

Me: "I'll see what I can do. But at least update your part listing to tell people that they have to modify some shit to clear their AVCS."

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!

Wow, that's insane...

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

So I think I have a plan. I will order 19mm Phenolic Spacers from KSTech. I measured the gap and from the best measurement I can get, it's 19.1mm.

Obviously that will probably still touch, so I'm going to take a diamond wheel and cut off the inboard support for the AVCS system. That should give me another 5-10mm, I think.

In the picture, the support to be cut has a red dot placed on it.

52780e82e5ef5e7b2151c4899baceae0.jpg

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

$150 later...I should have the spacers and an extra set of gaskets sometime next week. If anyone else has any bright ideas, I'm all ears. :unsure:

Maybe [MENTION=692]Eagleye[/MENTION] [MENTION=5388]Raven32[/MENTION] [MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION]

I'm not crazy for planning to cut the (inboard) AVCS supports, am I...?

Last edited:

$150 later...I should have the spacers and an extra set of gaskets sometime next week. If anyone else has any bright ideas, I'm all ears. :unsure:

Maybe [MENTION=692]Eagleye[/MENTION] [MENTION=5388]Raven32[/MENTION] [MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION]

I'm not crazy for planning to cut the (inboard) AVCS supports, am I...?

Instead of cutting the support bracket perhaps try bending it a little bit to get your the extra clearance you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Once I get the KSTech spacers in, I'll see how it all fits and then adjust as necessary. I don't know why, but I feel less safe about bending it than I would just cutting it. I imagine I'd have to heat it up and hit it with a hand sledge or compress it in a vice. Both of those seem more likely to damage something than cutting. I've seen some crazy shit though, a few people on some other forum talked about heating it up with a torch and bending it outboard with a hand sledge. 1 of 3 reported irrepairable damage to the housing, it's oil passages and it's ability to seal against the head.

All in all, I guess I shouldn't be that surprised to have run into this issue. I should expect this kind of this with an engine build. That said, I was pretty disappointed in FIC's techs and their total lack of knowledge on this. Like I said before, the least they can do is add a phrase to the part listing "these fuel rails may create clearance issues with the AVCS solenoids which can be remedied with spacers of (X-thickness) etc. etc..."

I probably shouldn't have added this to the Urgent Help forum, but the clock is ticking and I was kinda freaking out. :lol:

Once I get the KSTech spacers in, I'll see how it all fits and then adjust as necessary. I don't know why, but I feel less safe about bending it than I would just cutting it. I imagine I'd have to heat it up and hit it with a hand sledge or compress it in a vice. Both of those seem more likely to damage something than cutting. I've seen some crazy shit though, a few people on some other forum talked about heating it up with a torch and bending it outboard with a hand sledge. 1 of 3 reported irrepairable damage to the housing, it's oil passages and it's ability to seal against the head.

All in all, I guess I shouldn't be that surprised to have run into this issue. I should expect this kind of this with an engine build. That said, I was pretty disappointed in FIC's techs and their total lack of knowledge on this. Like I said before, the least they can do is add a phrase to the part listing "these fuel rails may create clearance issues with the AVCS solenoids which can be remedied with spacers of (X-thickness) etc. etc..."

I probably shouldn't have added this to the Urgent Help forum, but the clock is ticking and I was kinda freaking out. :lol:

It?s all good sorry I was not able to respond quicker was on unplug mode camping with family. No service, just to remove temptation of checking on work or forms etc.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

No worries bud, I'm right there with you. I deactivated my FB account exactly 2 months ago and haven't looked back. Too much shit to do anyway, like fixing problems with brand new parts. :rofl:

I didn't have this problem. I'm curious how what mine looks like

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

I didn't have this problem. I'm curious how what mine looks like

That 19mm spacer ended up giving me enough space that the rails no longer touches and a little extra to spare so the AVCS harness connector doesn't rub either. So I shouldn't need to cut anything. :tup:

WTF am I gonna do now...?

You are going fmic right? If so you should clear the next hurdle with tower brace and tmic.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Yes, I already have a FMIC.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Fyi... since the issue has been resolved, I have moved the thread from Urgent Help to Technical --> Engine