My '04 STi build thread

Gymhobo

Well I figured it is time I officially posted up what has occupied my mind for the past 2 years. 2 Years ago I made the silly mistake to buy a salvaged 2004 Sti because it was the only way I could afford to own the car. I was stoked when I first drove the car, but only to find out that the engine is going to blow after only 400miles haha. As soon as that happened I realized that I might have just opened the door to the world of tuning.

Checking the carfax after I bought it (yes I know stuipid), I found out it had been in several accidents, but professionally rebuilt twice. Now as the 6th, yes 6th owner of the car, I think it is time somebody treat this iconic car with the level of respect and care it deserves.

I began by having the engine professionally replaced and doing basic upgrades such as a valve/head job and ARP headstuds. I now have 11k miles on the new engine and it is still running strong even after much abuse :shock:.
Just like everybody else, I started out with a cobb accessport v2 and flashed the stage 1 map. Then I got a catless dp and flashed the stage 2 map. And just a few months ago I got an e-tune from Clark Turner at NASIOC.

Ever since paying over $5k! for the professional installation of my engine and various supporting components, I realized just how much money I could save by just learning to do it myself. So that is what I am doing. Doing all my own work, buying what seems like countless tools, and learning as I mod and restore my beater to her original luster. ;)

Current Mod list (may not be up to date):
- Large aftermarket TMIC- GM 3-port ebcs
- TD06H-20g turbocharger (stock location)
- K&N Typhoon Intake
- ARP headstuds on block
- DW 850cc sidefeed injectors
- 255 Walbro fuel pump
- 38mm EWG w/ 15psi spring dumped to atmosphere
- 3" Full catless TBE
- CA 91oct
- ACT Street clutch
- AEM UEGO Wideband O2
- Cobb AP v2.

As of the last month my car was in an accident and the rear quarter panel was smashed in, so of course I naturally take it upon myself to repair everything myself. And I have to say, it turned out great considering the damages were estimated at about $6k!. I have learned and bought all the necessary tools to pull dents, use body filler, and now painting.

Here are some random pictures I have taken over the build:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Subscribed. :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Doing everything yourself is the key. The savings are huge! :tup:

david.kasowski.7

Awesome! I would like to learn to paint, sand etc. myself. Just did a rebuild and it did not turn out to well. The engine was running fine and then it started knocking again. Looking at buying a used motor now! I should do a thread like this myself, I can never figure the damn thing out haha!

Gymhobo

Here are some more recent pictures including my recent DIY front bumper beam. I am just beginning to learn how to MIG weld so I apologize for what appears to be sloppy welds. I also "Flexidip'd" the body black and the rims white. Trying to decide whether or not to powdercoat my stock bbs white or the classic gold. Any opinions? Also added perrin spoiler stabilizers, and both full carbon fiber hood/scoop, and rear window spoiler.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Nice improvise!

I say gold rims!