"Chloe" 07 STi

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Black, it will help with temps. Black has better heat transfer properties for the intercooler than a polished surface. Will find a proper quote for this later.

ive seen posts and videos about this but from what i gather about that topic its still really unproven that it makes that much of a difference. im mostly trying to decide which i like better looks wise. the stealthy, cant see the intercooler look or the big flashy polished one in the bumper you know?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Black, it will help with temps. Black has better heat transfer properties for the intercooler than a polished surface. Will find a proper quote for this later.

Its not that I don't believe you, but I'd LOVE to see the math behind this. I have two conflicting pieces of data in my head that I need to reconcile.

So obviously black is a great radiator. That's why there's the term "black body radiation." So being black is intrinsically good. However:

1) you're adding a whole new layer of heat transfer. When you think of systems, adding a new interface usually adds losses. Usually you have to have some sort of offsetting good, like doing an AWIC like Holy did.

2) Sometimes adding insulation to a pipe can actually INCREASE heat transfer. If you're thinking in terms of differential equations, adding an infinitesimally small layer of insulation (to existing insulation), does two things: adds a tiny amount of insulation (obviously) but also increases the surface area. I remember...about a decade ago...doing a thermodynamics problem where this was the crux. The result from adding insulation was a decrease in the insulation value. But put in these terms, making a little more intercooler surface area...AND making it black..might make the "insulation" worse meaning heat transfer better.

Anyways, please post up some math or a source. My memory is all fuzzy and I'd love to see it!

Its not that I don't believe you, but I'd LOVE to see the math behind this. I have two conflicting pieces of data in my head that I need to reconcile.

So obviously black is a great radiator. That's why there's the term "black body radiation." So being black is intrinsically good. However:

1) you're adding a whole new layer of heat transfer. When you think of systems, adding a new interface usually adds losses. Usually you have to have some sort of offsetting good, like doing an AWIC like Holy did.

2) Sometimes adding insulation to a pipe can actually INCREASE heat transfer. If you're thinking in terms of differential equations, adding an infinitesimally small layer of insulation (to existing insulation), does two things: adds a tiny amount of insulation (obviously) but also increases the surface area. I remember...about a decade ago...doing a thermodynamics problem where this was the crux. The result from adding insulation was a decrease in the insulation value. But put in these terms, making a little more intercooler surface area...AND making it black..might make the "insulation" worse meaning heat transfer better.

Anyways, please post up some math or a source. My memory is all fuzzy and I'd love to see it!

i have conflicting information based on the same source test. one states what you said that the black paint basically adds another layer of insulation that prevents the radiation transfer efficiency. While the other video, shows the opposite happening. Below are the link and to be honest i am no engineer nor do i fully understand the math behind it. However, i do see that in the same environment with the same conditions in this backyard science experience that when the intercooler was painted black with it having no air-flow go through it, it did have a cooler outlet temp. however, when there was air going through the intercooler there was a small 3% difference where the un-painted intercooler was actually cooler.

Experiment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QL9veQaNg

Debunk of experiment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mmmXTbLP0

so my conclusion is as follows if you are at a stand still the black is better to prevent heat soak, but if you are moving an un-painted surface is better. That being said doesn't really matter to me because i plan to go AWIC at some point. However, as far as ascetics, i do like how the black looks under the hood with off setting RED. Will post picture of my engine bay on way home.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm making good progress on your shift light. I have everything I need, Just have to get to assembly!

20170326_165119.jpg

20170326_165036.jpg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
What type of gauge bezel do you want. Silver, Black, Thin rim, Thick rim.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
What type of gauge bezel do you want. Silver, Black, Thin rim, Thick rim.

oh shit idk. black for sure but as far as thick vs thin idk. i need to decide on which gauges i want and then i would say try to match those as close as possible. was looking at Defi gauges but i want to see what else is out there

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
shout out to [MENTION=6025]SDMotorworks[/MENTION] for hooking me up with their sweet fueling package.

Blue IAG fuel rails
Black IAG TGV deletes
Braided IAG fuel lines
ID1300cc injectors with PnP adaptors
Walbro 255LPH fuel pump with install kit

such an awesome deal and great customer service with fast responses :tup:

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
And im surprised i didnt update this with the new steering wheel i got from Japan.

Bee*R Power Builder steering wheel autographed by Imai-San (he owns the company)

They only make about 20-30 of these per year and not many make it to the states. This matched with those harnesses i got is going to be perfect!

669b827231736af24a856dd78c0e0f64.jpg

a0c3b2ec3ab8433ee389f9b2563052f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Oh and my buddy is getting me prices on a Prodrive quick release system for the wheel.

Everyone uses NRG and the problem with that is anyone can put their wheel on your car. But with the Prodrive one no one else will have it

SDMotorworks

On Vacation
shout out to @SDMotorworks for hooking me up with their sweet fueling package.

Blue IAG fuel rails
Black IAG TGV deletes
Braided IAG fuel lines
ID1300cc injectors with PnP adaptors
Walbro 255LPH fuel pump with install kit

such an awesome deal and great customer service with fast responses :tup:

Glad we could help you out

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
another big order placed yesterday

Perrin engine mounts
Perrin trans mount
Perrin pitch stop
Perrin coolant overflow tank
Perrin master cylinder brace
Killer B Holy Header with EWG uppipe

now i have most of the smaller components. time to work on getting the larger ones, block, heads, turbo, intercooler, etc

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Dang!

?Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
The time to get the ball rolling was way overdue. I got too distracted by the Jeep so im getting back to focusing on the STi

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
The time to get the ball rolling was way overdue. I got too distracted by the Jeep so im getting back to focusing on the STi

That happens, lol.

?Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Well im not letting it happen again. That car will be running as soon as possible

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Wow that was fast!! Everything is here except for the pitch stop mount and Header. Those will be here on Wednesday

Cant say enough good things about [MENTION=6025]SDMotorworks[/MENTION] awesome service and fast shipping!

ccc21d133187ef839f34054c878b7ee2.jpg