Random Musings on Traffic Laws and Accountability

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I get really annoyed when I constantly see people doing horribly dangerous stuff around me on the roads. I know they'll probably never get a ticket, and I'll get pulled for 3 mph over. Its infuriating. I also have a dash cam (I recommend you get one, or your phone setup to be one, but thats a different subject). Anyways, how GREAT would it be if i could submit my video evidence to the police and they could issue a ticket? It works for red-light cams and speed cams, why not dash-cams! Imagine if EVERYONE did that. Most of the stuff would be pretty obvious, but I admit, it would result in a LOT of speeding tickets. However, hopefully after cops/senators/mayors/etc... were given a bunch of tickets, they'd raise the speed limits to a reasonable level! Sure, you'd run the risk of getting a ticket for other "fun" stuff we sometimes do on the streets. But frankly, I think it'd be worth the tradeoff. There are dragstrips, road courses, and auto-x to get that out of your system.

This might make me sound like an old cranky man, but I'm pretty sure most of the traffic tie-ups caused by accidents are caused by people driving like a-holes because they think they wont get a ticket. If everyone was always thinking the guy next to them would narc on them, dont you think we'd all drive a little better? Who WOULDN'T want to see people using turn signals, not cutting you off, not trying to get over 4 lanes to an exit 400 feet away at 80 mph. Its just annoying how BAD most drivers are, and I'd love to see it stop.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Please tell us how you really feel. :rofl:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Ha, basically, lets all come up with a set of traffic laws we can actually AGREE to, and then lets enforce those. Instead of these laws that are designed to let you break them a little bit, but not a lot. Speeding is such BS. EVERYONE goes 5-10+ over. If you dont, you're in the way. That's just the tip of the iceberg. But lets actually get those people who cut you off and make a right turn from the left lane.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I still don't know how to combat lane blocking and slow poking in the left lane. Unless people are actively being ticketed for this, it will
never get any better. It amazes me how many people are either complete assholes, or (the more likely) not playing with a full deck.
I can't understand how someone will be flying down the right lane of the highway, when there is little or no traffic on the highway and
will not move over to allow cars to merge from the on-ramp. Yes I know, it's the merging car's obligation to yield to highway traffic, but
it's also first-class douchebaggery to block people out when you could safely and easily move over.

I love driving....but my daily commute is often stressful due to the level of idiocy on the roads.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Your preaching to the choir sisters!

I get really annoyed when I constantly see people doing horribly dangerous stuff around me on the roads. I know they'll probably never get a ticket, and I'll get pulled for 3 mph over. Its infuriating. I also have a dash cam (I recommend you get one, or your phone setup to be one, but thats a different subject). Anyways, how GREAT would it be if i could submit my video evidence to the police and they could issue a ticket? It works for red-light cams and speed cams, why not dash-cams! Imagine if EVERYONE did that. Most of the stuff would be pretty obvious, but I admit, it would result in a LOT of speeding tickets. However, hopefully after cops/senators/mayors/etc... were given a bunch of tickets, they'd raise the speed limits to a reasonable level! Sure, you'd run the risk of getting a ticket for other "fun" stuff we sometimes do on the streets. But frankly, I think it'd be worth the tradeoff. There are dragstrips, road courses, and auto-x to get that out of your system.

This might make me sound like an old cranky man, but I'm pretty sure most of the traffic tie-ups caused by accidents are caused by people driving like a-holes because they think they wont get a ticket. If everyone was always thinking the guy next to them would narc on them, dont you think we'd all drive a little better? Who WOULDN'T want to see people using turn signals, not cutting you off, not trying to get over 4 lanes to an exit 400 feet away at 80 mph. Its just annoying how BAD most drivers are, and I'd love to see it stop.

I still don't know how to combat lane blocking and slow poking in the left lane. Unless people are actively being ticketed for this, it will
never get any better. It amazes me how many people are either complete assholes, or (the more likely) not playing with a full deck.
I can't understand how someone will be flying down the right lane of the highway, when there is little or no traffic on the highway and
will not move over to allow cars to merge from the on-ramp. Yes I know, it's the merging car's obligation to yield to highway traffic, but
it's also first-class douchebaggery to block people out when you could safely and easily move over.

I love driving....but my daily commute is often stressful due to the level of idiocy on the roads.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I want an electronic scrolling marquee, with the text mirrored/reversed (like on ambulances), with voice-to-text that I can use as a windshield banner.

That way, when I'm following some shit-for-brains in the left lane, doing 61 in a 70mph zone, I can kindly suggest that they GTFO of my way and into the right lane where slow traffic belongs!

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Slower traffic keep right is a law. It would be theoretically ticketable with dash cams.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Slower traffic keep right is a law. It would be theoretically ticketable with dash cams.

I thought so as well, but after doing some research, it seems that many states do not require that slower traffic stays to the right.
Quite a few states do have this law on the books, but the way it is written (vague and/or complicated) often discourages officers from
writing these tickets. Also, they aren't the big money-maker tickets, so some jurisdictions could care less.

Here's an interesting link... (I am not sure if these are still valid at this time)

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It'd be so awesome to have certain highways around the country with high speed lanes. Something like, Minimum Speed: 95, Maximum Speed: 135.