A car, its tune, and driving to different regions that include different elevation

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok, so last night I had a question and completely forgot to ask it. Here it is now: How does a tune alter when you drive to different locations that have higher elevation?

Let's say I want to drive to Colorado, where the elevation is two to three times higher than here in Ohio. How does the car do with that substantial elevation increase even though I'm tuned for my current elevation?
[MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi.COM[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=3516]zax[/MENTION] [MENTION=1069]35r[/MENTION] [MENTION=1345]fuji_production[/MENTION]s [MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION]

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Well, I'm not a tuner, but my understanding is that it just uses tables and formulas. Similar to if you were tuned on a cold winter day, the car will adapt for a hot summer day. It calculates the amount of air it's getting/wanting based on at least: temperature, atmospheric pressure, boost pressure. But basically, PV=nRT. You could, theoretically, drive your car around on Mars...well, the atmoshpere there isnt the same ratio of oxygen so maybe not.

if your just specifically talking elevation changes it throws off your boost pressure because of the air density and barometric pressure. this isnt an issue if you have a MBC. If you have an ebcs then you will either overboost or underboost.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
if your just specifically talking elevation changes it throws off your boost pressure because of the air density and barometric pressure. this isnt an issue if you have a MBC. If you have an ebcs then you will either overboost or underboost.
Yes, only elevation as I'm not too concerned about humidity. It reaches upwards to 80/90% humidity here on a daily basis. The only thing I have a question about is: would the tune compensate if I were to go to a place with 0% humidity?

Yes, only elevation as I'm not too concerned about humidity. It reaches upwards to 80/90% humidity here on a daily basis. The only thing I have a question about is: would the tune compensate if I were to go to a place with 0% humidity?

There is nothing to really compensate for at that point nor is there anything you would really change in the rom. I dont think there is a such thing as 0% humidity either. maybe in the sahara lol

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok, here is a good example. Say I have my car tuned for Arizona circumstances. I want to move to Alaska where it's a completely different ball game in terms of pretty much every aspect. Would the car, at that point, need a new tune?

hard to say without a log and it depends on the car and mods along with other factors. also depends on how ocd the tuner is or the owner. I would say no if a conservative tune was flashed to the rom with all things considered and an MBC was used. there are many different levels of elevation as well as environmental temps to take into consideration along with fuel used in both places. we use ACN 91 here (i live in AZ) which is different from the rest of the country anyway.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok, so there are a plethora of different variables that would affect. Final question: So, on a conservative tune, you should not run into any issues if you were to do a country round roadtrip? Maine to Oregon to California to Florida and back to Maine.