Is this normal for a VF39?

17c866d26815c8588c74be9fcb13e59c.jpg

While removing my turbo from my 05 STI I noticed the impeller had this flaw on it.

Is this just the way they balance them or is this impeller getting ready to go.

The turbo was replaced by the dealership under warranty probably less then 5k miles ago so in just curious to know if its normal or not normal.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Not sure but it doesnt look like mine.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Lets see what the others have to say
[MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi.COM[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] [MENTION=600]black bandit[/MENTION] [MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION]

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
It appears to be slightly melted. Leading edges of the blades look a bit distorted as well as the center section. Plus the white crystalline appearance makes me think really hot like that you see on plugs or O2 sensors when pulled out if a motor running lean and hot.
Just a guess.

Towel_STi

A vf39 with no wastegate crack?!?!? lol. My turbo went from it being to hot/120k miles and my edges looked similar but alot worse. But after only 5k miles?? Seems a little fishy to me.

Well I touched the blades when I was checking to see if it would spin freely which makes the pic look funny they aren't distorted but the center part is what I'm concerned with.

It seriously looks like somebody took a grinder to the center of the impeller which is whats weird as hell

Towel_STi

Ya that sounds scary but if it's dealer installed and it's bad let it blow up your motor so they have to buy you a new one;)

Looks like normal balancing. They machine it/grind it to balance it out. It does look like a poor casting in the one area. Also, with the black soot around the housing looks like you are a little rich but thats ok.

Looks like normal balancing. They machine it/grind it to balance it out. It does look like a poor casting in the one area. Also, with the black soot around the housing looks like you are a little rich but thats ok.

Thanks i couldn't recall if I saw a thread on a forum talking about the balancing and just got concerned when I actually saw it on my turbo.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thanks i couldn't recall if I saw a thread on a forum talking about the balancing and just got concerned when I actually saw it on my turbo.

Dont worry i would be concerned as well! :lol: :tup:

TK-421

Looks perfectly fine to me, if you had cracks or chips or pieces of the impeller wheel missing, then I would be throwing up the red flags. I've seen some pretty messed up turbine wheels in my day and this is nothing like them. But I do commend you for showing concern, it never hurts to ask questions when your unsure.