CEL P0302 help

After a few days, it is starting to run worse and is smoking like crazy. (I think the smoke is from the crappy PCV system). Its definitely misfiring. We monitored it using ROM raider. The misfire count is through the roof. Also it shakes at idle.

I did swap the injectors, plus and coils with no change. I also tried a crank sensor because doing some research was showing what was going on.

I think that the original problem is the valves. I dont think that the valve lash was set correctly using the proper buckets causing a valve to hang open.

I found a long block for a great price. I may go that route since it takes a few days to rebuild a head.

Update... Installed a new engine. Ran and drive fine. Got into a little boost and it started misfiring again. :idontgetit:

Not it misfires all the time. I can smell raw fuel coming from the exhaust. It has new plugs and coils. I checked the injector connector with a node light.

I am going to swap an injector and see if there is a change and get a coil tester to see if it is actually sparking. Maybe a bad coil driver but I dont set any faults for the coil circuits. Im at a loss at this point. Im guessing the original fault was that fuel washed down the cylinder walls frying the rings in the process causing it to burn oil. It does not smoke at all when driving now which is nice.

Im going to run a couple extra grounds to the block as well.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What fuel pump you running?

TK-421

If your using the AccessPORT to pull codes it's not going to work the same as a bidirectional scan tool. The AccessPORT will show you a general misfire code. Where as a scan tool, and I'm not talking about the cheap crap at auto zone or your local parts store, I'm talking about something like a Snap On Solus or equivalent will pull data PID's specific to your car and would be able to tell you exactly what is wrong with the car ie. "misfire cylinder 1 bad coil igniter no signal." Honestly I'm still sticking to my guns and saying this is an electrical issue, especially after swapping a completely different engine in. If I were you I would seek out a shop that specializes in automotive electric diagnostics or a Subaru specialty shop in your area.

There is nothing wrong in admitting when you have reached the end of your rope, and nothing wrong in admitting defeat, you can keep throwing money and your time at this very difficult and confusing problem or you can let it fall to someone who does this sort of investigative work everyday, heck they might even know exactly what it is and have it fixed in no time at all.

If you were closer to me, I'd say bring it to my shop. But all any of us can do on here is guess and make educated guesses by our own experiences and knowledge, other than that we are all pretty much in the dark.

If your using the AccessPORT to pull codes it's not going to work the same as a bidirectional scan tool. The AccessPORT will show you a general misfire code. Where as a scan tool, and I'm not talking about the cheap crap at auto zone or your local parts store, I'm talking about something like a Snap On Solus or equivalent will pull data PID's specific to your car and would be able to tell you exactly what is wrong with the car ie. "misfire cylinder 1 bad coil igniter no signal." Honestly I'm still sticking to my guns and saying this is an electrical issue, especially after swapping a completely different engine in. If I were you I would seek out a shop that specializes in automotive electric diagnostics or a Subaru specialty shop in your area.

There is nothing wrong in admitting when you have reached the end of your rope, and nothing wrong in admitting defeat, you can keep throwing money and your time at this very difficult and confusing problem or you can let it fall to someone who does this sort of investigative work everyday, heck they might even know exactly what it is and have it fixed in no time at all.

If you were closer to me, I'd say bring it to my shop. But all any of us can do on here is guess and make educated guesses by our own experiences and knowledge, other than that we are all pretty much in the dark.

Im using ROM raider. We can use the misfire monitor to see whats going on along with cancelling injectors etc... I agree that it is an electrical issue. But I had to correct the low compression problem first. Its hard to doagnose the electrical problem when you know cyl 2 is 40% low on compression compared to the other cylinders. Its the trickle effect that sucks to deal with.

I used to do electrical engineering at Roush. I definitely know my way around diagnosing circuits but it is difficult without a wiring diagram and what specs I should see on circuits such a voltages and whatnot. Im not taking it to a dealer because they will rape me on labor time.

I have isolated it to an injector, ignition circuit, ignition ground or ignition driver in the ECU.

TK-421

Im using ROM raider. We can use the misfire monitor to see whats going on along with cancelling injectors etc... I agree that it is an electrical issue. But I had to correct the low compression problem first. Its hard to doagnose the electrical problem when you know cyl 2 is 40% low on compression compared to the other cylinders. Its the trickle effect that sucks to deal with.

I used to do electrical engineering at Roush. I definitely know my way around diagnosing circuits but it is difficult without a wiring diagram and what specs I should see on circuits such a voltages and whatnot. Im not taking it to a dealer because they will rape me on labor time.

I have isolated it to an injector, ignition circuit, ignition ground or ignition driver in the ECU.

Knowledge or experience is pretty moot without the proper tools to diagnose with, ROM raider is still not going to be able to read the car like a lab scope will. If you recall, I did mention earlier in this thread that it might be a injector driver, yes I get the fact that you had compression issues, but what I was stating above was what I would only state to any customer in my shop who came in asking for advice. There is only so little we can provide in answers without seeing the car. A video of the situation might help. But the vehicles condition seems like that idea would be futile as well.

And I didn't say take it to a dealer, I said a specialty shop.

If you think you have narrowed down the problem, then that's great, but as far as asking for opinions and giving these detailed updates, I'm not sure what any of us can do from a keyboard, other than offer moral support.