The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
uploadfromtaptalk1443907488777.jpg

Notice the color difference between the initial, super rust nastiness and now. This rust neutralizer is putting in work. I sanded it down a bit before painting it on.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I thought about that. I may have to just heat it up with a torch. I was somewhat afraid it'll just make the bolt softer and I'll completely round it off. At this point though, it doesn't seem to want to budge, so that's probably what I'll do.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Try not to heat the plug itself but the surrounding case material.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The surrounding case metal is the lower transmission oil pan. Obviously I'm not going to heat it up red hot or anything, but is that a smart thing to heat? :unsure:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You can heat it upward of 400*. The oil is not the real problem... the seal is. If I am not mistaken, it is sealed with silicone, so it will handle that much for a limited amount of time.

You could try removing the pan and then remove the plug on a bench or something

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'm going to remove the pan if I can't get the drain plug bolt to loosen up. It shouldn't be too difficult besides being insanely messy.

Permatex that pan after you wiz wheel with a red pad the mating surface of the transmission and the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Permatex that pan after you wiz wheel with a red pad the mating surface of the transmission and the pan.

Which Permatex product are you suggesting? They make shit tons of stuff.

Gasket Maker, I assume?

At work we use grey to mate pans and transfer cases, I'd go with grey, it's really close to the same stuff, when my bell housing for the front diff was put on the rear half they used black, no leaks, it all works great if you make the surfaces shiny again and bead it evenly, and use your finger to spread evenly. Then push together and bolt that sucker in. In wont go anywhere. Also the grey is safe for transmissions I believe

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Do you guys think and impact driver would help? Maybe the hammering action will bust it loose.

I'm going to try the torch tonight after work. I was pretty busy the last couple of nights with cleaning the gutters, repairing some masonry on the chimney, trimming tree limbs and of course...homework. Lots of outdoor maintenance to complete before winter.

No matter how careful I am, if I have to remove the whole pan, it's going to me one hell of a big mess. I sure am glad we paint-epoxied the garage floor this summer. That should make it easier to clean up....not only the tranny oil but also the puke. I don't know what it is, but tranny oil makes me yak every time. It just reeks sooo damn bad.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
DO NOT we repeat DO NOT use an impact gun on that bolt. Get a big breaker bar on it and keep soaking with PB Blaster and give it some heat.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I can't decide if I want to take a couple hours off and go home early today. I just keep thinking about busting that drain plug bolt loose and getting this shit wrapped up.
Decisions, decisions...

Don't ban em!! Lol but yes for the big plug use a long pipe on the breaker bar

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
When I get these plugs out, I am DEFINITELY using a dab of anti-seize before putting them back in.