Brandon's 2012 ISM STI

Another update, forgot to get pics of some of the changes tho. So the black clad iron bolts that came with the spoiler rusted right after the first wash which was shitty so I replaced all those with stainless bolts and its been fine ever since lol

Next I had a little mishap with the rear diffuser. So a while back I was backing out of my buddies driveway and the middle rear diffuser brought up on the ground and buckles them all on 90* so the next day I straightened them out the best I could but a I didn't notice but I assume when I done that I broke free the self tapping screws and it must of been hanging down because a couple weeks later I was driving down the road and hit a bad dip and ripped the diffuser clear off, it flew like 30ft in the air hahah thank god nobody was behind me

Anyways I turned around and got it. All corners where buckled pretty bad so a while later I decided to straighten them out again and reinstall it but this time I used 5 self tapping screws and a lag bolt in the back and then bolted it to the two corners of the car hah should be good now

So next thing was installing my lower canards. I couldn't install them last time because they where too long for the flares so I needed to cut them

So first thing I done was cut a piece of cardboard out the same size as the lower canards and placed it against my flare to get a measurement of how much to cut. Anyways I got it cut and used a dremel to cut it out. The measurement looked great by holy cow was I off lol I don't know where I went wrong haha anyways a break down

This was after I cut the piece out and sanded it down

WNl1nDK.jpg

Next I relocated the bracket ahead to retain 3 bolting locations on the canard

7xepHrO.jpg

lYsppcd.jpg

Only thing Ill do is replace the bolt where I relocated the braket. Couldn't find the ones I bought for it so had to use some big clunky ones

After that I reinstalled my bumper and took some cell pics

7VP8zxT.jpg

55J8bKq.jpg

5g1LwFj.jpg

Followed by some other pics with the camera

DCOGtNC.jpg

sAK6dfz.jpg

NtjQn2G.jpg

ZRZ2oRT.jpg

and then a funny pic from a recent show hahah

QIDli2j.jpg

So some other issues ive figured out and going to fix over winter is

1. the oil consumption
A. Must be from the turbo, leak down and compression test was perfect. She smokes white smoke when idling for a while and tastes oily so again im ordering a new turbo and hopefully that's the issue there

2. The feedback knock I was getting
A. Was from a couple things, first we thought the pump wasn't working because it was showing less bars on the led display gauge. Before it was 7 out of 8 bars but come to realize that means it was over spraying and it regulated out and is no displaying 4 bars. Also we are going to a bigger jet for the meth and switching to 100% meth and not just 50/50
Also we found out that the fuel pump cant keep up and starts to lean out towards the top of the rpm range so got a new AEM pump coming to fix that issue and also going to install a Cobb fuel pressure sensor to monitor that

3. Losing boost
A. I thought at first it was a boost leak but come to find out it was cutting boost due to the DAM dropping to compensate for the knock it was getting

4. Clutch cant handle the power
A. Replace it lol just not sure with what one yet. Looking at a Clutch Masters FX350 and a SouthBend Stage 3

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow, pretty eventful mishaps. However, your car looks so fucking good, AS ALWAYS!!! :tup:

Well regret to inform but the day has come... I once again lost my engine ffs.

I figured I was on borrowed time with the car anyways. She has had some mishaps and set backs but I have a solid plan anyways.

So plan right now will take a couple years just because I have other priorities to attend too but either way I have a little garage the cars into for now until the house is built.

But right now the plan is to go with either a built IAG closed deck short block or some other reputable builder

Heads are also getting done. Not quite sure if ill do it myself or not tho but right now the brand of products is up in the air but thinking either Ferrea for valves, springs and retainers or GSC and either BC or GSC stage 2 cams.

Ill be going with BNM Fabrications rotated turbo setup which includes 2 piece downpipe, intake, up-pipe with dump and going with a 4-1 header (EL header). With a Garrett 3076gtx gen 2 turbo. Will also be getting a FMIC done by them as well and hes making me a rotated intake manifold pipe as well

Then driavtrain will be either South Bend or Competition Stage 3 clutch and flywheel with some upgraded motor/trans mounts

and thwn just some things to replace like oil pickup, new plugs, new oil cooler air pump delete and also either going with an injection plate to mount to the throttle body or a direct injection setup for each chamber not quite sure yet. Also going to be going larger jets as well. Might throw a gates timing belt kit on there too

Already have the turbo ordered, speed density kit and new fuel pump so this year im aiming at finishing the turbo setup and get the engine out. Going to take the intake manifold off and sand it down and paint it a new cooler.

Got someone who wants my old turbo setup and my used short block which is awesome.

Thinking about getting my piping done in copper or bronze

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Man, that sucks!

Years?!?!?! :(

Update;

So started my tear down, taking my time but forst step was to get the turbo setup off and cleaned up then sold

So here I backed it out and backed it in lol

qFTt1bP.jpg

mnlkdlW.jpg

Dont have much room in there. Luckily my dad felt bad once he seen my room and offered to put it in his much much bigger garage which ill do next week when I go to pull the motor

QCH8HiO.jpg

So first thin I done was just remove some of the easy bits like the alternator cover, battery, intake and recirc valve

aZljQQu.jpg

Unbolted the tmic and disconnected the meth jets

uSJ07EH.jpg

removed inlet pipe

1LFzy9o.jpg

My shop dog haha

H510mH3.jpg

Jacked it up and started at the header

QIG9Wj6.jpg

Sheared off the first two bolts and couldnt get the third one at all

qhLPTdy.jpg

Was in such a weird placement lol so had to take out the big guy for it

7RvHYy7.jpg

When we started to cut the bolt, got the heat wrap on fire hahaha quickly poured water over it lol

Anyways after I got the intake off, inlet pipe, downpipe, header, alternator cover, recirc valve, tmic I cleaned it all up and packaged them up and sold them lol

KXuC38I.jpg

Then once I got back home I brought the cherry picker and engine stand to dads garage and put that together

7FRFgXy.jpg

EmFGwtr.jpg

And thats where im at right now. Ill prob be placing the ordre with BNM Fabrications soon for the turbo kit and next week ill haul the engine and possibly tear it apart see what it looks like in there

Alright another update for my journal haha

Anyways first thing I done was move it too a bigger garage. My fathers garage is messy as hell but I dont have any other option lol so once I got her in :) bought and put together some nice automotive dollys and bought some fender covers to protect the sides

s5iNJGW.jpg

Next step was too unbolt the alternator

ExQ79uv.jpg

And another bolt going straight down into a bracket

8zM8BiR.jpg

Once I had that unbolted I decided to let the coolant out. Moved the bracket back and unplugged the rad fan

cKt4EoG.jpg

Same on the other side as well

RslyEbI.jpg

Removed the rad cooling plate and rad stays. Snapped off a bolt somehow so ill have to drill that out

xKntrZX.jpg

Disconnect the coolant lines from the overflow tank

4Y81u0o.jpg

Once thats done you just haul the rad right out

W6rWRz2.jpg

and here is all the space. Literally can climb in there and get at the back bolts alot better lol

rkJSaqw.jpg

Next I disconnected the fuel lines. There clips can be a bit of a pain. I would def recommend the little tool you can buy for these fittings haha we managed to get them off by sing to small pick screw drivers with 90* ends. Slide them in the notches on the clip and haul left and right to open the clip and then haul the hose off

huyiyUH.jpg

iblYJoe.jpg

Next I started disconnecting the AOS lines. First one was the line going to the top of the coolant tank

h8xmJUx.jpg

Then disconnected the AOS line going to the turbo

kqq5xUM.jpg

Then the two hoses going to the crankcase on the right and left

svHMqWr.jpg

JKYsvak.jpg

Disconnected the line going from the fuel reg to the manifold as well as the masteer cyl to the manifold

8RSXzOH.jpg

Next was labeling the recirc valve line lol label everything

YHWLKay.jpg

Then I just labeled the boost gauge line and removed the recirc valve hose from the engine bay

htBfsOE.jpg

Covered the intake manifold throttle body which made zero sense hahah

vXonqRk.jpg

and then started to unbolt the AC compressor. I didnt disconnect any lines. Because I dont want to recharge it and also found you arent suppose to release the freeon to the atmosphere

dSFxfNN.jpg

Then I started back at the AOS unit again lol so unhooked the top entry of the middle of the crankcase

HFrOVqT.jpg

Another middle crankcase connection but the side entry.

y4U8NHC.jpg

The we bolted the cherry picker to the engine to take some strain after I unbolted the engine mounts

XXd5Fi5.jpg

4futEPE.jpg

Next was prob the most difficult part lol taking off the starter hahah what a pain. Anyways its two long bolts that bolt it too the back of the bell housing and then another two bolts that go through the starter bracket and through the bell housing to the short block casing

One of the bracket bolts through the bell housing

XdYLTxi.jpg

here you can see one of the two long skinny bolts what hold the starter together

dMmbLHH.jpg

Next after you remove the starter oh side note there is also a small wire for the starter that needs a 10mm nut to be removed and also a 12mm nut for a ground but like I was saying next is a allen head bolt that holds the clutch fork into place youll need to remove that

N3Ew1ag.jpg

all together there is two long bolts for the bell housing on top, one more on each side, two on the starter and two more nuts that are on bell housing studs if I remember correctly

This is the hole with that allen head removed

9nFQoWB.jpg

and the fork pin

pfpLNsI.jpg

once all that is out you can now start to split the block from the bell housing. Best thing I found was a small pry bar and a few taps from the hammer and it come right apart

lNCReu0.jpg

you can see here where the clutch fork is still connected and dangling from its boot hah

vmSmo6j.jpg

GeslPdo.jpg

and after some wiggling and lifting shes out :) nothing to it, dad popped by to help taking it out hah

fC4i2uA.jpg

2Lqn3L0.jpg

clutch and flywheel dont look to bad

55KWcYm.jpg

DuFsJ0Q.jpg

Turboooo which is for sale

fljwE5T.jpg

and then took off the coolant tank, couple 10m bolts I believe it was

Su5wSHI.jpg

Now the fun part lol disconnecting the 4000 sensors hahah

first up the injectors

jM2ZOC1.jpg

Eya8Eve.jpg

next I disconnected the ground

DiNwZEd.jpg

plug under the ebc bracket for the ebc

y7Ky9iY.jpg

then the other two fuel injectors

UIbbvMb.jpg

plug going to the head, not exactly sure what its for

glg1UOo.jpg

then the two coil packs

j82Hemk.jpg

two more on the bottom of the head

mEyvozK.jpg

then two more going to the front of the intake manifold

ijOEz4k.jpg

faNxQ6k.jpg

andddd one more on the front of the intake manifold

g2c7pqR.jpg

two going to the front of the engine block

BVTUcCi.jpg

5BgwF09.jpg

disconnected the ducting for the air pump

VxUp116.jpg

two more plugs on the bottom of driver side head

11qN4cE.jpg

another right above the fuel rail

TPOX8np.jpg

driver side coils next

zub23CD.jpg

and have a little beer while doing so :)

C2XjLdR.jpg

then there was one more hose connection going to the throttle body

YEFVM6F.jpg

Removed the air pump on the back, only two bolts

QhQTOPs.jpg

Took off the ebc bracket

z7TFilr.jpg

removed the 4 bolts that kept the throttle body on and removed that

9tsBRbh.jpg

one last hose to the throttle body

VcgNTSm.jpg

then disconnected the line going to the fuel lines

2pseXBH.jpg

then I removed the injectors from the tgv and drained the fuel left in them and the lines. TGVs are a simple removal only 6 bolts for each unit

0ZWGPmX.jpg

tied up and braced my ac compressor as well so no kinks in the lines

CQsZxgd.jpg

and thats about it for right now lol when im off work again ill remove whats left and split the block and have a look. Judging by the amount of oil that came out which was only about a quart she def spun a bearing. But I need to figure out where 4 quarts went to in 2 weeks

Well another little update :) got my first parts ordered. Ordered my BNM FMIC kit and the widebody. Next will be gauges so I got some stuff to keep me occupied over winter. Then I think Ill either order my head stuff or all my other little things I need
But either way picked at it a bit over on these days off
So removed the fuel lines altogether because I sold my fpr and going with a aeromotive one and iag lines
XIvQL7j.jpg

then air to driver side head
dYmlKIm.jpg

along with passenger head
xsSiC6S.jpg

then coolant feeding to the bottom of the engine
OFS6o4L.jpg

sensor haha
U8UC7dY.jpg

the coolant lines
Ua4DXTc.jpg

and I honestly have no idea what this is