Time to Tune | "15 WRX | Help

Hey Guys,

So it's time to get my 2015 WRX tuned. Since this model is still somewhat new my friend @Alin doesn't have all the answers haha. For those of you with experience regarding tuning a 2015 WRX please feel free to chime in.
-
Currently I'm looking at doing the platinum membership e-tune but had a few questions.
What necessary mods/ items will I need to suceasfully install/purchase prior to the etune process.
-Wideband 02?
-EBCS?
-Upgrade Spark Plugs ?

I'm not opposed to getting the vehicle on a dyno either.
i just want to know what things I need to do to make the most bang for my buck for a Stage 2 pro tune.

[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] I've read the post regarding the requirements prior to e-tuning. I was wondering if 15 WRX spark plugs should be gapped to .028 as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Hey Guys,

So it's time to get my 2015 WRX tuned. Since this model is still somewhat new my friend @Alin doesn't have all the answers haha. For those of you with experience regarding tuning a 2015 WRX please feel free to chime in.
-
Currently I'm looking at doing the platinum membership e-tune but had a few questions.
What necessary mods/ items will I need to suceasfully install/purchase prior to the etune process.
-Wideband 02?
-EBCS?
-Upgrade Spark Plugs ?

I'm not opposed to getting the vehicle on a dyno either.
i just want to know what things I need to do to make the most bang for my buck for a Stage 2 pro tune.

While Holy is the final word on this...

Of the ones you mentioned, you'll absofrigginlutely need some sort of wideband o2 monitoring. EBCS shouldn't be necessary, but a really nice-to-have and you'll get better results. Your spark plugs, are probably the originals, right...and not too many miles? I'd think they'd be fine.

If you get on a Dyno, they can do a tailpipe o2 sniffer. It's slightly less accurate (due to the extra time for the exhaust to get all the way to the tailpipe vs right at the downpipe). But unless you get Holy ready to tune for your full dyno rental, it might not be the most economical. It's an iterative process, so if Holy can't iterate immediately, you'll need to wait for him to get back to you.

[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]
Yes the spark plugs are stock.
10800 miles on the car.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Hello Geo!... If I'm not mistaken the WRX has a true wide band from the factory so you may not need to install one. You can confirm that by counting the number of wires going into the O2 sensor itself. If it is a true wide band, it should have five (5) wires. If not then it will have four (4). If this is actually an STi then you will need to install a wide band, but doing so in the stock down pipe is very difficult. At that point you might as well install a down pipe and go right for the stage two tune. Beyond that I recommend a k&n drop-in filter and and possibly a cat back exhaust.

Do you have an AccessPort or do you plan on open source tuning?

Time to Tune | "15 WRX | Help

[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]

Hey, it's a 15 WRX I currently have a catless down pipe. Full turbo back exhaust with a drop in k&n filter. And I am running with an accessport V3 from Cobb. The accessport comes with Cobb off the shelf maps but they are very unreliable. I get random amounts of knock on the readings during low rpms by low I mean below 3000 rpms. And I've realized as weather is getting warmer knock happens more often. Not sure if it's true knock though.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Oh okay... Then we should be able to get right into tuning at any time. Can you confirm for me at some point that the front O2 sensor has 5 wires?

I'm not to concerned about knock at low rpm and low load. If it is random knock and no more than -2, then there is not much for you to worry about. Regardless we will make it as knock free as possible through out the driving range. I am most concerned with knock during WOT or spirited driving.

Well to tell you the truth I've seen some dumb stuff like -7 to -11 in low rpm not sure but it started happening as climate got warmer. During our 10-20 degree weather here in Ohio it was fine.

For sure man I will check the front O2 for you and see how many wires.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Ohhh yeah... we need to address that knock for sure! :tup:

Are you using 93 octane gas or do you only have access to 91

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Have you tried buying gas from another station? You could have bad gas.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Shell is usually really good gas but you never know. When you have a chance can you take a log?

Got four interesting logs to upload today. All at low rpms no spirited driving. By the way I have five wires on the upstream 02 sensor. Yay for no wideband guage needed ? :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thank you! I got them...

They seem largely ok but the one with -11 feed back knock worries me. It is not earth shattering and it shouldn't cause damage because it is relatively low load and RPM but still... What is causing it. It just seems to come out of nowhere. Were you able to try another source for gas? Beyond that look for loose brackets and metal to metal contact and/or loose exhaust shields. Basically anything that can a clanking or a clinking sound.

Overall the tune could use some work. It is running lean during WOT and it is adding correction everywhere else.

I will PM you details on how to get started with the tuning process if you have time to do so.

I think it needs it. :tup:

Thanks for taking a look! And definitely I'd like to get started as soon as the electronic boost controller I order arrives.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Okay... In the mean time I will send you the info and you can get started filling all the necessary data. Stay tuned. :D