Looking for opinions on mods

SlowDriver

Hey everyone. Bought my first STI. It's a 2015 and I absolutely love it. Love the forum too :D. I have a few mods in mind for my car and would some opinions on them and which order I should do them in. Here is what I had in mind. I want to do a turbo back. I love the sound of the N1 invidia. But can only find it in a cat back? Also would like to get a COBB cold air intake and a Mishomoto intercooler. And a plug/play tuner. I noticed some rides have their intercooler changed from a top mount to a front mount? How much work is involved in this? Is that something i should consider only if I plan on getting some serious HP?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!!

Pics of the ride!!!

Your stock intake is good until about 400whp so save your money and put it towards your turboback exhaust. Are you going to go with an accessport stage 2 OTS map?

Whats your power goal? Whats the cars main use going to be? (Daily, auto cross, track, ect?)

I suggest sticking to top mount and just get mods to prevent heat from escaping. (Turbo blanket and heat wrapping)

SlowDriver

My goal is to be around 450. My car isn't even a daily driver lol. I drive it about once a week. But I do plan on taking it on the track at least a few times each summer. Am I going to have to piece together a turbo back exhaust if I want the invidia N1? I'm not too familiar with accessport to be honest. I just read that if i plan on modding my car it's a must have to tune it properly. Is each stage good for a certain amount of HP? I was thinking I should get it 3rd on my list. Was going to do exhaust first, then intercooler, and then accessport.

Thanks for the help

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well that changes everything then. :rofl:
Wait for the guys to help you out. I have some errands to run.
[MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION]

Grinder34

Track Monkey
If you're going to the track really dont neglect the suspension and brakes. Arent the corners more fun than a few extra mph on the straights?!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
1st Mod *Platinum* Membership! ;)

Right [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION]?

TK-421

Honestly, don't touch a thing till your out of warranty, drive the car for awhile as it is. Learn the car, I caution all of my customers to NOT throw everything at it all at once.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Honestly, don't touch a thing till your out of warranty, drive the car for awhile as it is. Learn the car, I caution all of my customers to NOT throw everything at it all at once.

I'll agree (for the most part) for engine mods, but I say go to town with suspension as soon as you want. Its amazing what just a set of swaybars will do to transform the handling. From there you can go to spings/coilovers, bushings of all sorts, etc..

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Hey everyone. Bought my first STI. It's a 2015 and I absolutely love it. Love the forum too :D. I have a few mods in mind for my car and would some opinions on them and which order I should do them in. Here is what I had in mind. I want to do a turbo back. I love the sound of the N1 invidia. But can only find it in a cat back? Also would like to get a COBB cold air intake and a Mishomoto intercooler. And a plug/play tuner. I noticed some rides have their intercooler changed from a top mount to a front mount? How much work is involved in this? Is that something i should consider only if I plan on getting some serious HP?

[MENTION=4574]SlowDriver[/MENTION] The N1 is the catback portion. You'll have to buy the down pipe separate. This will require a tune from a tuner unless you use Cobb's OTS maps on the accessport AND use Cobb's down pipe. The catback only will not require a tune.

The Cobb CAI can be used with Cobb's OTS maps on the accessport.

The Mishimoto intercooler will require a specific tune from a tuner. The stock intercooler is fairly good for small to moderate sized turbos. Heat wrapping various parts of the down pipe and turbo will make your stock intercooler function more optimally.

A front mount will require a custom tune from a tuner. I don't recommend a front mount intercooler unless going with a big turbo and using your car for drag purposes.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
My goal is to be around 450. My car isn't even a daily driver lol. I drive it about once a week. But I do plan on taking it on the track at least a few times each summer. Am I going to have to piece together a turbo back exhaust if I want the invidia N1? I'm not too familiar with accessport to be honest. I just read that if i plan on modding my car it's a must have to tune it properly. Is each stage good for a certain amount of HP? I was thinking I should get it 3rd on my list. Was going to do exhaust first, then intercooler, and then accessport.

Thanks for the help

Turbo back requires tune.
Most anything you touch in the engine requires tune.

Ots maps on the accessport are specific to the map maker and nothing else. Custom tunes can be tailored to virtually anything.

I'll second the suspension mods. Very pleasing to have and gives a lot of grins for the dollars spent.

sacnvz

Thanks for the help

I would definitely get the accessport first. As these guys have mentioned pretty much anything you do to the engine will require a protune. Don't forget though, 450hp is a lot of unicorns to be messin with. You also got be able slow down and take turns so don't overlook braking and suspension mods.

SlowDriver

Thanks everyone for your help! I am definitely going to look into suspension mods. But I'll talk to my dealer to see what would void my warranty. Hopefully I can do a few things with the car. If not I'll have to be patient. On another note. If I start messing around with the tuning. Will the SI drive need some sort of tune too? Would they conflict with each other?Thanks again :)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Thanks everyone for your help! I am definitely going to look into suspension mods. But I'll talk to my dealer to see what would void my warranty. Hopefully I can do a few things with the car. If not I'll have to be patient. On another note. If I start messing around with the tuning. Will the SI drive need some sort of tune too? Would they conflict with each other?Thanks again :)

Remember, your warranty is only voided in specific areas when adding mods, the whole thing wouldn't be voided.
Meaning, if you change the radio to an aftermarket unit and then your engine blows up, they legally cannot deny warranty coverage for your engine.

The SI drive is included in the tune, so to speak.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

Thanks for the help

I know you're probably getting antsy, but don't make any modifications for power until you have a way to tune the car. (Cobb AP, open source, etc.)

450whp is not that difficult to achieve, but you won't achieve that level safely without forged internals, which at the very least includes swapping in forged pistons. The factory, cast hypereutetic pistons are garbage and are known to crack ringlands with poor tunes. Generally speaking, anything more than 400whp is risking the pistons.

To reach 450whp, you will also need a turbo upgrade. Before you start spending money on exhaust, intake and intercooler, ask yourself whether the turbo you will choose will utilize an internal or external wastegate. If you buy a bunch of parts now and choose an EWG turbo, you will likely have to purchase different parts to work with it. As for the intercooler, a top mount intercooler has the advantage of quick boost response while a front mount will increase turbo lag. The factory intercooler works well, but if you want a larger intercooler without the extra lag, research larger top mounts before considering a front mount. The general rule of thumb is that top mount intercoolers can support up to a GT30 sized turbo which should yield anywhere between 400 and 500whp. There are some huge horsepower Subies out there that run a top mount, so nothing is set in stone.

The Cobb Accessport or "AP" is a great first mod, and useful tool for data logging and troubleshooting. Consider buying one. Another popular route to go is Tactrix.

Start looking at suspension mods. Sway bars first, urethane bushings, endlinks, sway bar mounts...roughly in that order. Sway bars are probably the best mod for the price.

I don't know what tires come on the car, but the right set of tires can make a huge difference in handling.

I know I haven't covered everything, but this computer (I'm at work) is acting up and making it very difficult to type. I'm going to throw it off the roof. I'll check back here later.

Welcome to the community! It's great to have you here! :tup:

Last edited:

Dave

Find a good tuner and follow thier advice...in norcal GST their awsome great people and know there stuff. Besides myself they are the ones that will ever touch my car.

bumm

Front mout intercooler only after upgraded turbo. Stock does not pull enuff volume to be effective. AEM cold air is nice. Puts filter down in fender well and seals off. Making a true cold air. My tuner explained that the hand held is nice for small gains but after those mods should have pro tuned. Is safer and will gain more along with drivability.