The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I figure, I'll probably leave them in place. Then if I notice any fuel restrictions, I will remove them and retest. If the problem is corrected, I will order larger ones.

Between the time I posted the question and now, I called Jordan (at Defined Performance) and he said he can't imagine me needing them. For every 15-20 fuel system kits he sells for big power builds, maybe 1 person buys fuel dampers.

I also just read an article by a guy that rebuilds fuel injectors for a living and he says they are rarely 100% necessary. Usually just a "nice to have" in a fuel system build.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Everything looks so good when its new and shiny! And that was the first time i've really heard (or at least absorbed the info) about fuel dampeners. Interesting.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I built and installed the first four fuel lines* last night. The anodized finish is kind of cheap and rubs off easily during wrenching, but otherwise the quality of the material is quite good. I think it looks pretty nice too.

* Evil Energy PTFE (Teflon) Ethanol resistant fuel line kit, 16' of hose, assorted anodized aluminum hardware.

de821bb92591e182e76e4c21db6e6bc4.jpg

35088f57360558126c9d4e40d86c8a5b.jpg

c5aa97c6419c1b826fb657f5d2b4a869.jpg

f17cac7d5a70bdc0f17428d233b9a11d.jpg

44c9975b98301efa21bbf41eb7c05ea4.jpg

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Well, our house is officially on the market and available for showings.

The engine, parts table and most of the car is covered with tarps in the garage. :lol:
Hopefully no one screws with it.:doh:

We have our first showing at 12:30pm!

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Everything looks so good when its new and shiny! And that was the first time i've really heard (or at least absorbed the info) about fuel dampeners. Interesting.

I was talking to [MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION] the other day and he said to do away with the fuel dampers, which I think I will do. I haven't decided how I'm going to connect my new fuel lines to the factory lines where the fuel dampers are connected, but I'll figure it out. I figure, if I'm running that Tomei Type-L fuel pressure regulator which itself has a diaphragm style valve inside, that should sufficiently damp any fuel pressure transients. Then I don't have to worry about flow restrictions to the FPR. As always, I'll take some pictures and let you know how it all turns out.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I drive out to Kalamazoo and pick up my transmission tomorrow!

They replaced the synchros, replaced the fork pads and machined oil passages in the forks to keep the new pads cool, trimmed and polished the gear teeth to prevent damage under high loads, shotpeened the gear teeth which strengthens the material and increases oil retention, put it all back together and degreased the outside of the case.

Grand total: $1,300.00

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Well, after being on the market for only 30 hours we already have 3 offers. One of which, is $5k over our asking price and they are flexible on occupancy. Soooo...we are officially accepting the offer this morning! Now I can focus the majority of my free time on the Batmobile, which despite everything else that's going on around here, is doing pretty well.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Nice! Who doesn't love a quick sale. And I'm glad you didn't fall into the "well we listed it for too little, lets go higher" fallacy! Take the money and runnnnnn

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Nice! Who doesn't love a quick sale. And I'm glad you didn't fall into the "well we listed it for too little, lets go higher" fallacy! Take the money and runnnnnn

That's right! I've been watching a bunch of people get greedy lately and it's blown up in their faces. We wanted to accept the first solid offer that came along.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Congratulations are in order! :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Joe was gonna come over tomorrow and put the heads on and torque them down for me, but our realtor scheduled an inspection for that time frame and we can't be working in the garage then. So that got moved to Wednesday, and in the meantime, I will take this opportunity to install the Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings and Gearbox Positive Shift Kit Bushings. Might as well, since I've had them for like 7-8 years. :lol:

Speaking of bushings, I also hope to get my two (upper and lower) Kartboy Shifter Bushings installed before the trans goes in.

I really need to change the CV axle boots, and I want to do that BEFORE the transmission goes back in. It's so much easier with it out. But only half the boot kits I ordered have arrived, I expect to get the rest on Friday. Once those are done, I'll get someone over here to help me get the trans back in and then I'll refocus on completing the engine for drop in.

I still have a little bit of corrosion abatement and painting to do in the bay before the engine goes back in.

So much to do, so little time.

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Just got some great photos from Joe ( @WRB_STi ) of the port polishing he did to the heads.

He said, "They turned out really nice. I ported it to get all the casting marks out. There's two spots in the Subie heads that you can't get to in the exhaust ports, but the rest of the exhaust is polished. I'm surprised how much power the stock Subaru heads can make. The bowls had such a huge lip on them. It took forever to blend the ports. I also micropolished the head surface to a 9 micron finish. It looks like a mirror. This should really help with the cams, by taking advantage of more flow and less resistance. If anything, it should smooth out your hp/tq curves."

be616e690b9ee1b34f240df0ba02f5d0.jpg

5e5a4dfd29194bc7e969ab013585cafd.jpg

60d1852ccb8db0b3e57c70dbd7f0bb2b.jpg

d56b04de66fd5f0e27492b84c548935d.jpg

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You know how I always preach about upgrading your bushings, especially if your car is nearly half your age? Well, here is an illustration of the differences in quality between aged factory bushings and a new aftermarket piece.

Sometimes they are a pain in the ass to get to, but the parts are cheap as far as mods go, and the improvements in performance are amazing. So take the time to look into bushing kits.

For reference, the Batmobile only has 71,000 miles on it and spent more than half it's life in a snow-free climate.
Pictured: OEM shifter brace bushing vs. Kartboy urethane bushing.

da56b9be25768c68b2dbf5ec680c13ac.jpg

8da36edf4c16328304ebac4f6550bf4b.jpg

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
FML

...in case you're not familiar, that a Group-N Trans Mount, now with broken studs! :doh: I wasn't going to replace it, but I have no choice now.

4536abeb14315e858e412baf60b3416d.jpg

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
:lol: No. Not fun. Had to order another one. :doh:

We accepted an offer late last week. The inspection was yesterday. It should close in about 30 days.

Last edited: