Need help TGV sensor

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
What i did notice on the car when i took off the intercooler, i noticed that the y pipe that connects the turbo to the intercooler was all covered with oil and im thinking that the intercooler was leaking the oil out throught the bottom. Is that possible? I also notice that there is also oil and coolant on the bottom where the turbo and intercooler is? Would that mean that the turbo is blown and leaking both oil and coolant? That is probably why my car was losing power then gaining it.

It's possible but I can't say for sure with out a compression test.

izeahhh40

[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] i just did a compression test and all cylinders were consistent
Cylinder 1: 198 psi
Cylinder 2: 123 psi
Cylinder 3: 120 psi
Cylinder 4: 123 psi
the compression tester goes by 5 so i can really pinpoint the psi but its around that.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Cylinder one has to be a typo!

Thats kind of low. How long did you wait for the engine to cool down before performing the test? 40 min+?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The numbers read lower the longer you wait for the engine to cool down.

What do you mean you havent driven it in 2 days? A compression test should be done after the car has fully warmed up to operating temperature and about 20-30 minutes have passed.

izeahhh40

Oh lol ok i will turn it on tomorrow and restart the test and i will post the results again and so i turn it on and let it fully warm up then i turn it off and i wait 40 minutes to do the test? [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION]

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
40 minutes is too long and the results will be lower than they should be. Let the car idle for about 15-20 minutes. After it has fully warmed up and temp gauge shows halfway, wait another 5 or so minutes and then turn it off. Give it 15-20 minutes and do the compression test. Numbers should be in the 140s or 150s depending on how long youve waited.

Cylinder 1 should be in the same range, not 70 off.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So...

Cylinder 1: 118 psi

Cylinder 2: 123 psi

Cylinder 3: 120 psi

Cylinder 4: 123 psi

Like that?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok so theyre not too bad. Now i dont know the actual technical info but that looks like a healthy motor. Lets see what the other say to do from here on out
[MENTION=1]IGOTASTi.COM[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=1069]35r[/MENTION] [MENTION=600]black bandit[/MENTION] [MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION] [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION]

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Those compression numbers look fine to me. Low readings like that are not a huge worry. The main concern is not having one cylinder with a difference of 7psi (or greater) lower than the others.

The factory recommends 140-160psi (with no cylinder more than 7psi difference from the others as I said before) but that is done on a HOT engine.

My numbers have been 127-132 or so and I beat the hell out of my engine.