Need help troubleshooting

maes0732

Hello, I am new to the Subaru community. Just bought a 2004 Sti with 85k miles. My issue is that I noticed my car at idle had a feeling like it was slightly missing after a while at idle. It is smooth when driving but at idle it does it. The rpms dont change when this happens though. I was showing my engine to my brother in law and he said it looks like my engine is shaking a bit much. My question is does this sound like its just a motor mount? or should I dig into it more? I have replaced the plugs because I don't know what maintenance was done before. The coils look tired but for the price I am trying to wait.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!!

What mods does the car have? Was it tuned? What rpm is the idle at? Can you give us a log?
[MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]

maes0732

Mods are CAI, Exhaust, and Access port Stage 2. It did this before the tune was added. The car Idles at 500. What is a log? (Sorry for Noob Question)

TK-421

I need some datalogs, this can be achieved by Cobb AccessPORT or RomRaider. The engine lays flat which has the appearance to shake at idle. It's just the design of the boxer engine. It could be possible that a motor mount is the issue. The coil packs are not the issue, I can promise that. The factory subaru ignition system is pretty robust.

If I could see some datalogs on how the engine is running I could give you a better answer.

Avoid throwing parts at it right now, we call that "throwing matches into a fire" it's really not going to get you anywhere, except for a empty wallet and quickly.

A video of the idle issue might also help if you do not have a way to datalog your engine perimeters for me.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
500 is a low idle. A log is a data log of your cars motor. It shows us if anything is wrong that way we can correct it. The CAI is not applicable with a stage 2 tune.

A stage 2 tune from cobb is a turboback exhaust with the stock intake or the cobb intake.

Youre forcing the car to act differently by having a different intake on. What downpipe and catback do you have on?

TK-421

[MENTION=1]IGOTASTi.COM[/MENTION] Seems like I should do a write up on how to do logs and basic AP functions

TK-421

[MENTION=4829]maes0732[/MENTION] You maybe new, but you'll learn much here. It takes time, in time you'll learn everything you want to know.

I do several write ups, how to installs, and technical support here on my free time, many folks are already learning from me, and you can do the same as well.

Welcome to IGOTASTI, and we hope we can help you learn and enjoy your car to its full potential

maes0732

The Exhaust is HKS and I believe its a cat back not turbo back. there is no aftermarket Downpipe. The CAI came with the car and is an Injen. The access port is the old school model. I will look up how to data-log and I will post that up. Thanks for the help in advance.

TK-421

The Exhaust is HKS and I believe its a cat back not turbo back. there is no aftermarket Downpipe. The CAI came with the car and is an Injen. The access port is the old school model. I will look up how to data-log and I will post that up. Thanks for the help in advance.

Any possible way you can get your hands on a stock intake/air box assembly?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=1]IGOTASTi.COM[/MENTION] Seems like I should do a write up on how to do logs and basic AP functions
Did you see the one we have?

maes0732

I would have to source one from the local junk yard or craigslist. Unfortunately I bought it from a car lot so I didn't get any of the stock parts.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sometimes, there needs to be a indepth step by step with pictures to show new people. Sometimes newbies need that indepth instruction
Whatever you need or want to do let us know.

TK-421

I would have to source one from the local junk yard or craigslist. Unfortunately I bought it from a car lot so I didn't get any of the stock parts.

Well first of all, with a stock Downpipe, you should be running a stage 1 map, and also with the cold air intake, you need to have the MAF scaled to work with the intake. It is not as simple as bolt on and go with these cars.

maes0732

Ok I will switch it back to Stage 1. I also don't think I can data log. I have the V1 model of AP..... Also the Intake has a Injen MAF bolted to the top if that matters.

TK-421

Ok I will switch it back to Stage 1. I also don't think I can data log. I have the V1 model of AP..... Also the Intake has a Injen MAF bolted to the top if that matters.

When I say the MAF needs scaled, I mean the tune needs adjusted, it's the calibration of the sensor within the Map. Try switching to Stage 1 and then see where that gets you.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Also please do not go wide open throttle anymore. Drive the car like a grandma until the issue is resolved that way no future harm will be done.

If you can leave the car alone for the time being and drive another one. (Depends on your situation)