New newb

sti newb

As you can see by my screen name I?m a new subi owner and am excited to lean as much as I can about these engines and hopefully get my subi up to 350-400 whp slowly but surely. I just bought a 2012sti a few days ago and know that it has a Cobb tuner and a aftermarket down pipe (don?t know if it?s catless or not) I do want to eventually do a equal length headers and a full tbe and a bunch of other stuff hoping to meet some cool people and get some good deals and tips on upgrading my new baby.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Welcome to the community! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. There's a lot of great stuff to read and helpful people to point you in the right direction.

It's not too difficult to make 350-400whp, but anymore than that and you'll want to rebuild the engine with forged components to be able to handle the power reliably. 400whp is the general, rule of thumb, limit.

sti newb

Thanks for the welcome and the reply bud I will be plenty happy with 400 or even just under 400 whp I won?t be racing or anything.. not to much anyways lol

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
^ That's what we all said :lol:

But really though, we should be able to put together a reasonably priced, reliable mods list for you to make ~350 whp, which is a great improvement over stock.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Post some pictures of the ride!! What other cars have you had in the past?

sti newb

06598fd4531ddcf8915cc6481f2077ce.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Love the decal!!! :tup:

sti newb

Thanks! Ya that shits looks sick huh! When I seen it for sale on Craigslist I was like I have to have this car! Haha, I?ve never had anything worth talking about I almost got an rsx type s with a k24 turbo it had 300 whp but I decided to spend a lot more money and get the subi lol. It?s got a salvage title but only 39,000 miles on it I got it for 13,000$ ??*?? I?m going to take it to my mechanic and have him run threw it today... runs nice and feels nice tho just want to make sure everything?s working properly and fluids look good. Going to have him give me an oil change too while it?s there do you guys use that t6 as well?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow, 13k is cheap even with a salvage title! What caused the salvage title brand?

Many, many, many Subie owners use Rotella T6. It's good, just make sure you change oil every 3,000 miles.

sti newb

Driver side accident then got pushed into a curb and damaged the suspension.. they did a pretty good job of fixing it up but there?s still some things I want to fix down the road.. most likely after the performance mods lol

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'm assuming your car is on Stage 2 since there's a downpipe already on the car. Whenever you get a chance, can you snap some pictures of the engine bay and interior?

What tires are currently on your rims?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Good tires! What PSI do you run them at and how hard have you pushed them to their limit?

So a Cobb SFI and Cobb XLE BPV. Are you on the Stage 2 93 OTS map?

You should try to source the heatshield for the intake as well!

Does the turbo have the heatshield on it?

What's your fuel economy like? (It doesn't matter, but I am curious). The car is all about smiles per gallon! :tup:

sti newb

I haven?t really checked the psi yet on the tires.. and I?m really new to this stuff I?m trying to understand all this new stuff and terms lol. What?s sfi and xle bpv? I don?t know what stage it is I just know there?s a Cobb tuner in the car I hooked it up one day and was just looking at it trying to figure it out but couldn?t really make to much of it.. and I think your asking if I?m running 93 octane? The only gas that?s really available where I live is 91, I think they have some gas stations here in SoCal where they carry 93 but it?s to far to try and use all the time. Should I be running at least 93? But ya I should get the heat shield for the intake and as for the turbo heat shield I haven?t really looked.. I just filled up my tank yesterday and drove back and forth to my work and have just above half a tank so it?s definitely not that good on gas haha. I work about 85 miles round trip.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I haven?t really checked the psi yet on the tires.. and I?m really new to this stuff I?m trying to understand all this new stuff and terms lol. What?s sfi and xle bpv? I don?t know what stage it is I just know there?s a Cobb tuner in the car I hooked it up one day and was just looking at it trying to figure it out but couldn?t really make to much of it.. and I think your asking if I?m running 93 octane? The only gas that?s really available where I live is 91, I think they have some gas stations here in SoCal where they carry 93 but it?s to far to try and use all the time. Should I be running at least 93? But ya I should get the heat shield for the intake and as for the turbo heat shield I haven?t really looked.. I just filled up my tank yesterday and drove back and forth to my work and have just above half a tank so it?s definitely not that good on gas haha. I work about 85 miles round trip.

I like 32 PSI as the sweet spot between MPG and grip.

It's SRI or SFI. I'm leaning towards SRI since its a Short Ram Intake. However, I've seen both used.

AZNVCA 91? Then you should be on Stage 2 91 octane. You can check it out in the settings or info section of your Accessport. Stick to 91 since those 3 states operate differently. I don't know the in's and out's.

Send a picture of the turbo next time you're by your car.

Damn, you're a newb in every sense of the word! Luckily, you chose the best forum to sign up on! I'll help you as much as I can so you avoid any stupid mistakes I have made in the past.

ASK EVERY QUESTION YOU CAN THINK OF!!! Oh, and read the stickies! :tup:

Do you turn the key to the accessory mode and let the gauge cluster cycle before turning on the car? Do you let the car warm up for a little bit before you start driving?

sti newb

I like 32 PSI as the sweet spot between MPG and grip.

It's SRI or SFI. I'm leaning towards SRI since its a Short Ram Intake. However, I've seen both used.

AZNVCA 91? Then you should be on Stage 2 91 octane. You can check it out in the settings or info section of your Accessport. Stick to 91 since those 3 states operate differently. I don't know the in's and out's.

Send a picture of the turbo next time you're by your car.

Damn, you're a newb in every sense of the word! Luckily, you chose the best forum to sign up on! I'll help you as much as I can so you avoid any stupid mistakes I have made in the past.

ASK EVERY QUESTION YOU CAN THINK OF!!! Oh, and read the stickies! :tup:

Do you turn the key to the accessory mode and let the gauge cluster cycle before turning on the car? Do you let the car warm up for a little bit before you start driving?

I do let it cycle before turning it on and I probably don?t let it warm up long enough before I start driving

sti newb

Hey, guys is this a sufficient kit to start running e85? Will I need injectors? Or just this kit installed and a tune?

68f9fccf4cd509888780cb20bb0a683b.png

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What you need to be doing is driving and smiling like a mad man! :lol: