I wish to monitor knock on a little LCD screen

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How do I go about doing this? I'm assuming the connection needs to come from the OBD port? Basically, a miniature Cobb AP, but showing only knock. Possible?

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Something along those lines, but for knock and cheaper? :D

118_1851.jpg

kl.jpg

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'd think the best way to do that would be something like George's boost gauge project. Something like an Ardueno, that you've programmed to monitor that parameter, sent to a small LCD display.

Are you familiar with programming? While i've only really dealt with developing C++ applications for very specific business needs, I dont know how hard it is to program the Ardueno (I hear its supposed to be very user friendly). The other problem would be deciphering the code coming from the OBDII port. But I have to imagine that some people like TD_d, or the romraider community would be pretty helpful for learning how to read the data. Once you learn what sort of format it's in, you could just code an algorithm to pick out that one parameter, and send the proper output commands to whatever small LCD you decide upon. The final stage would, of course, be making some sort of housing for it all.

As a variation of the above, if you leave your tactrix plugged in, you could use the USB-out to interface with the Ardueno (skipping the need for a sacrificial OBDII wire and deciphering the OBDII code itself), and write the code based on the tactrix output. I'd definitely get in touch with #td_d though...

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
George has already helped me out enough with the tune and the fan mod. He cant be doing shit only for me cause i would come up with every possible thing for him to make! :tard: :rofl: plus he gas to do your guys' boost gauges! :tup:

Ill talk with Oren and see what his thoughts are on the subject!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Doesn't the check engine light come on after a knock event?
I can't be positive on this, but I don't think I've ever had a knock event.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If that is true, please check the post whore thread post I wrote a few hours ago...

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
It doesnt really mention knock...but fuel cut, yes. I don't know what happens after a knock event...fuel cut? I'm not sure that makes sense.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!

This feature is available on open source roms as far as I know and you have to have the patch for it. I will check my inventory of roms and see if I already have one. If not you might be able to contact NSFW on RomRaider forums and ask him if he still does this and I suggest making a donation if he does.

I have used this feature and it works great.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'd think the best way to do that would be something like George's boost gauge project. Something like an Ardueno, that you've programmed to monitor that parameter, sent to a small LCD display.

Are you familiar with programming? While i've only really dealt with developing C++ applications for very specific business needs, I dont know how hard it is to program the Ardueno (I hear its supposed to be very user friendly). The other problem would be deciphering the code coming from the OBDII port. But I have to imagine that some people like TD_d, or the romraider community would be pretty helpful for learning how to read the data. Once you learn what sort of format it's in, you could just code an algorithm to pick out that one parameter, and send the proper output commands to whatever small LCD you decide upon. The final stage would, of course, be making some sort of housing for it all.

As a variation of the above, if you leave your tactrix plugged in, you could use the USB-out to interface with the Ardueno (skipping the need for a sacrificial OBDII wire and deciphering the OBDII code itself), and write the code based on the tactrix output. I'd definitely get in touch with #td_d though...

Surprise surprise the Arduino actually compiles using C++. The Arduino IDE is just a dumb down newb facing interface that is easier to understand and when it uploads the sketch to the Arduino, it compiles it in C++. You could just as easily write your program in C++ and the Arduino would take it gladly.

I'm looking into interfacing with the OBD2 port for the purpose of extracting usable data from the vehicle and I am finding that much of that work is already done. There are interfaces that are available for sale and I will be looking into that soon.