How long did your stock tires last?

WesternSTi

The Music Man
To those of you who bought your GR/GV brand new: How long(miles, months, or both) did the stock 245/40R18 93W Dunlop SP Sport 600 last you? ​The reason I ask is that at 8 months of ownership and about 18.5K miles, I'm finding myself in need of new ones. Most of those months were spent in curvy mountain roads, went through a pretty tough winter where I was driving over mountain everyday to commute to my internship(Next winter, I'll be sure to put winter tires on it), and now that it's summer, when the aptly-named summer performance tires are supposed to be at their best, I need new ones. I'm just curious if I did something to dramatically decrease the life of my stock summer performance tires, or if that mileage is pretty normal for them. I know since they're performance tires, they aren't going to last near as long as most normal economy tires would, but I wasn't expecting it to be this soon. ...... :|. As far as new tires go, I'm very open to suggestions. What I've found so far is Michelin PSS's, Bridgestones, and BFGoodwrich seem to be the tires of choice of Sti owners.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If you dont get all seasons, then your best bet for summer performance FOR THE BUCK are bf goodrich comp-2! Runner up are bridgestone potenzas re760. For winter, blizzaks are where its at! :tup:

Those stock tires are crap in the winter. Im sure the winter aided in the slow death of the tires but im sure your driving style is at fault here! :tard: :lol:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I took mine off around 12k, I think? They were about half done. I have seen as little as 8k on these and as much as 30k. Seeing where your at, I'd say 18k wasn't too bad in my book. I think they are a 200 or 180 tread wear rating so mileage shouldn't be expected on such tires.
Sounds like you drive a lot so a longer mileage tire may be in your needs. You might try some less extreme summer tires like those in the ultra high performance category with a 300+ rating.
Another option is the high performance allseason tire like the continental DWS. I run these for a winter tire (actually still on due to me searching for a new summer setup) and they are a very good performer for daily duties. Quiet, compliant, speed rated and have plenty of traction for stop light duties.
My former set of summer tires were the contintental DW. These offered a very quiet ride, good traction and cornering and decent wet weather. I didn't really like them for some odd reason, maybe they just felt too muted but otherwise they were a good set of commuter performance tires.
Tires on my radar are:
Bfgoodrich comp 2
Bridgestone re760
Bridgestone potenza s04
Michilen pilot PSS

ZackUSAF82

I've got 22,500 or so total on the car, maybe about 3/4 of that is on my stockers and they're still ok tread wise. They are garbage but I think I can probably get another 8-10k out of them if I want to. I'm likely going to get new wheels and tires next year, probably going to do one of the two budget ones Alin mentioned so I can get better wheels. I really don't beat on my car so I don't need high performance summers, just want what's cheap and that's decent in the rain. Other than that, I'm not particular on tires.

But I definitely agree with Alin on the Blizzaks, they're the shit in the snow for sure. Love mine, makes driving in crappy conditions fun!

WesternSTi

The Music Man
I took mine off around 12k, I think? They were about half done. I have seen as little as 8k on these and as much as 30k. Seeing where your at, I'd say 18k wasn't too bad in my book. I think they are a 200 or 180 tread wear rating so mileage shouldn't be expected on such tires.
Sounds like you drive a lot so a longer mileage tire may be in your needs. You might try some less extreme summer tires like those in the ultra high performance category with a 300+ rating.
Another option is the high performance allseason tire like the continental DWS. I run these for a winter tire (actually still on due to me searching for a new summer setup) and they are a very good performer for daily duties. Quiet, compliant, speed rated and have plenty of traction for stop light duties.
My former set of summer tires were the contintental DW. These offered a very quiet ride, good traction and cornering and decent wet weather. I didn't really like them for some odd reason, maybe they just felt too muted but otherwise they were a good set of commuter performance tires.
Tires on my radar are:
Bfgoodrich comp 2
Bridgestone re760
Bridgestone potenza s04
Michilen pilot PSS

[MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION], is that necessarily in order? I'm just researching pricing on Tire Rack, and they are the cheapest. I'm not saying that's a bad thing lol...just curious.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Comp2 are the cheapest ive seen. I had re760 and i was told comp2 grip way better. Plus they are cheaper! So double victory!!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
BFGoodrich is also the tire sponsor of Subaru's Rally team... So there's that lol.

Ok now. 3 superb benefits. Cant really go wrong now lol

WesternSTi

The Music Man
Now......This would also be a great time to get new wheels. But, there's quite a few things I want before I get new wheels. Boost gauge, maybe fogs, vinyl overlays, shift knob, and possibly some suspension components. Decisions, decisions....I don't like making them! Lol.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You could always post a thread with a poll and the forum can decide for you! :fuji:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Comp-2 tires are $425 shipped with a $70 mail in rebate right now.... $355 after the rebate... I don't think that can be beat. :lol:

RE760 are $515 shipped with no rebate. :(

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Is that about 36-40k miles? [MENTION=3594]evans609[/MENTION] what other tires have you had to compare to the comp 2?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have had the stock tires and the Goodyear eagle GTs. No 18000km would be just a little over 11,000 miles

11k! :rofl: :doh: how many miles on the comp 2 now?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Have you pushed them to their limits yet??

Also how much were the tires shipped?