Brandon's 2012 ISM STI

Update: Got my Coilovers installed. (Apologise in advance for the cell pics)

So here is my installation.

First thing I did was get it in to my buddy's garage and jack it up. I did the rear first. I took all the carpet out of my trunk.

vkJgLPw.jpg

Then I sat down and took my wheels off.

c0GoVgt.jpg

First thing you want to do if your car is a bit older or driven in the winter is spray some PB Blaster on the nuts and bolts.

Once that settles for a little bit you want to remove the 2 bolts on the lateral links. One bolt is a 14mm bolt that connects the end link to the lateral link (indicated by the 1) and remove the 17mm bolt that connects the shock to the lateral link. (indicated by 2)

ZnLLfrk.jpg

qfB03YI.jpg

I marked the bolts 1 and 2 even tho its hard to get them mixed up.
After those 2 bolts are out youll have to unscrew 2 12mm bolts up on top of the strut mount.

ZvMUMtT.jpg

Once thats done put the coilover back in place. Lightly tighten the bolts up top just to keep it from falling. I found it best to install the endlink bolt first. Its best to use a jack and jack up on the lateral link until the car starts to come off the jack stands. Once thats happens that mean you are at ride height. Install both bolts, the endlink bolt needs to be torqued at 33lbs and the shock bolt to 89lbs as by Subaru torque spec.

rRDYFcn.jpg

Follow the same instrustions for the opposite side. Becareful not to over tighten or when taking the bolts off not to turn the wrong way.

Next is the front coilovers.

First thing is jack it up and put jack stands underneath. There are 4 bolts. One for the ABS line and the other is the brake line. Both of these bolts are 12mm

FG5rPgp.jpg

Then there are 2 19mm bolts. The top bolt is a camber bolt which has a washer on it. (indicated by 3) and the bottom bolt is just a 19mm bolt. (indicated by 4). Again its best to put some PB Blaster on the bolts and nuts.

VD89mnt.jpg

Once thats done there are 3 12mm bolts up top on the strut tower. Undo those and then haul the hub out and turn right or left. Then haul the strut down. Use anti seize on the shock body again and place the coilover up in place. Make sure the camber plate opening is running parallel with the car. On the BC coils there is a R for right and L for left. Make sure the letter is facing and closest to you. The torque spec of the 2 19mm bolts are 129 as by Subaru spec. The bolt small bolts are just tight. Same with the 3 up top.

IXOPR25.jpg

iUxDl2z.jpg

This is the picture of the camber plate on the Driver side. Notice the camber opening and the letter.

bNxHWFE.jpg

My take on the Coilover so far is I love them. Stiffer then stock but not harsh. The only thing I find is that the coils are a bit bouncy. Other then that I find them a great coilover for the price. Ill do another update after a couple thousand kms.

Some pics of the new setup..

2m8cnml.jpg

btF33zb.jpg

woqPR1c.jpg

9ThlbXM.jpg

Im going to wait and let the coilovers settle. I might lower it a bit more, not quite sure.

WesternSTi

The Music Man
That is a sick set-up dude. I'm loving how it turned out for you. Personally, I think the height that you have it now is a perfect combination of form and functionality. BC's seem to be the type of coil over that are great for just about any make and model. Some of my favorite Preludes have them, and I wanted them for the longest time when I was a Prelude owner. On the subject of the DIY write-up, keep that stuff up man....All of them are pretty fantastic and illustrate every step very well. Well done dude.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow nice little write ups! Its awesome to read! :tup: love the pics too!

How many miles/km needed to settle?

That is a sick set-up dude. I'm loving how it turned out for you. Personally, I think the height that you have it now is a perfect combination of form and functionality. BC's seem to be the type of coil over that are great for just about any make and model. Some of my favorite Preludes have them, and I wanted them for the longest time when I was a Prelude owner. On the subject of the DIY write-up, keep that stuff up man....All of them are pretty fantastic and illustrate every step very well. Well done dude.

Thanks bud :) means a lot lol I didnt think I was doing the best job doing the write ups. Glad to help out and I appreciate the compliments. I like the height now as well lol but who knows. My mind changes like the wind hah

Wow nice little write ups! Its awesome to read! :tup: love the pics too!

How many miles/km needed to settle?

Thanks again Alin! Cant get a straight answer on that :/ they tell me around a week lol

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Then i will be looking forward to seeing an update in a week from now on the coils settling!

And any other mods in the meantime! :lol:

Haha I will def update for sure. Well a small update on the tire. Over a 1000km on them now and LOVE them. Good tire in the rain and I find the grip to be the best tire yet. Other mods: Torx TMIC will be in early next week so ill be installing that next weekend. The intercooler has to be re-tapped and ill install the grimmspeed piping then for that as well. The gauges should be into lightspeed this week so im hopinh ill get that by next weekend. I was talking to JCS Pods and they are getting back to me on the location on that. It seems I either deleted the tracking or they forgot to send me it. Got a car show next weekend and a big one in August.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow we have some awesome write ups and sick pictures in store for us here over the next few weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigtup:

Cant wait!!!! :tard:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Now them are some awesome pics!!!!

Going to post some to our FB page. :ty:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow. Breathtaking pictures!!!!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member