HolyCrapItsFast... Cyberu belongs to someone else now.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
So you are running E85 then?

I'm on 93 and straight methanol, my EGTs are considerably higher.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Allot of things can effect EGT like timing, fuel type and AFR, boost. it all depends on what your tuner did and his reasoning behind it. I would say 1600 is my personal limit but I have seen tuners take it past that even. I'm only concerned with tuning my car for safety and my goal is 1300 there abouts. I still have yet to see what straight gasoline is like.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
If I'm at WOT for long periods, I touch 1700 degrees. I think I have my EGT gauge alarm set at 1750-1800. 1600 is common during spirited drives in...errr...Mexico.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah I don't really know what the limit should be. Maybe that is the difference between E85 and Gasoline. Where are you taking the temperature from. My probes are about 3" from the exhaust port on the head.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I do know that E85 is considerably cooler burning than 93. My EGT bung is 3" from cylinder 4's exhaust port.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah that is what I here. I just never observed it till now. I will know next time I fill up. I will make the switch back to 93 and see whats up!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Awesome, thanks! This tune has been great for me for many years, but @WRB_STi expressed some concern at my EGT numbers last year when we were out for a little spirited driving "in Mexico". :lol:

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It must be the E85 then. I'm still waiting to empty my tank and fill it with 93.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well the temperatures are not that different with gasoline. The highest it got so far was 1380*. There is not to much difference between your tune and my own. Both fuel and timing are similar. Not sure what makes your temps so much higher than mine. :unsure:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I might be running hotter due to the methanol, which allowed my tuner to lean out the AFR and advance the timing a bit. That should drive up the EGTs, especially because I have no water mixed in with my meth.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I might be running hotter due to the methanol, which allowed my tuner to lean out the AFR and advance the timing a bit. That should drive up the EGTs, especially because I have no water mixed in with my meth.

That could explain your temps but Grinder's is to similar to mine to make that much of a difference. Again I don't think his is a bad thing, I just don't understand the mechanism that makes his that much hotter.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'd assume it'd have to be mostly due to the tune. I could be wrong though.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I compared his with mine. No real significant differences other than the turbo itself. Other than that, AFR and timing are similar. :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So, i have always suspected that the EGT gauge may not be the best. I have the MadDad 3-in-1 gauge, and i REALLY wanted it to work out, but i've never been convinced that everything was the highest quality. So my readings could be off, and I don't think theres a good way to calibrate it.

SudoSTI

I had the Maddads in my old car. Very much not a fan. The movement is very notchy and loud and every now and again they would go wonky and do the opening and closing ceremonies then beep and flash the warning light until I shut the car off and back on again. Very obnoxious on my 25 minute commute for work. Not sure on accuracy though but they are the same Taiwanese made gauges and sensors as most other makers that have iffy sensor quality.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Damn, that's too bad. I love my Maddad header and up pipe. The quality is great. Too bad their gauges dont meet the same standard.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Speaking of headers... I installed my Tomei ARMS 8265 Turbo and Expreme UEL headers this weekend.

The original header was leaking from every gasket surface and exhaust leaks irritate me. Borla is a piece of shit. Never buy them. The Dom 3 is a great turbo but it is getting tired and showing signs of degradation, though it lasted quite a long time and is still good enough for someone to get quite allot more out of it. It blew smoke for one tiny moment about once a month on start up. I think I'm going to send it back and have it rebuilt and then sell it off.

I'm loving the Tomei ARMS. It comes in a nice looking package and it comes with every little conceivable part. It truly is a plug and play turbo. For a journal bearing turbo it is not a bad performer either. It spools much more quickly than the Dom 3 but that is to be expected being a smaller turbo and all.

The header kinda blow me away. I can't speak enough about the quality and construction. All of the ports are ported and polished and gasket matched. As with their turbos, you are not wanting for any hardware or gaskets. It even comes with heat wrap. I went with Tomie because of all the research and published data they have on everything they make. I like that about a company. I will let the photos speak for themselves.

Tomei_8265_Turbo.jpg

header1.jpg

header2.jpg

header3.jpg

header4.jpg

header5.jpg

header6.jpg

header7.jpg

header8.jpg

Last edited: