Noob Maintenance Questions

So I'm rapidly approaching 60k, and the suggested maintenance therein, so I have a couple of questions:

Replacing the fuel filter is suggested, and following the advice I've gotten from some folks here I figure I'll just replace the fuel pump at the same time. However, I can't tell from the diagram where the heck the filter is. Is the filter the net thing at the bottom of the pump, or elsewhere? Does the new fuel pump come with a new filter, or is that separate?

Also, replacing the spark plugs is suggested, and I figure I'll do a compression test at the same time. Can I get the plugs that are one step cooler, in anticipation of future tuning, or do I have to wait since it might be a while until I can get my wideband for the tune?

The book also suggests replacing the brake fluid. Does this mean I have to drain the whole system? I'm trying to do all this myself, but I'm admittedly least confident when it comes to screwing around with the brakes.
[MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION]

I appreciate any help y'all can provide.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So I'm rapidly approaching 60k, and the suggested maintenance therein, so I have a couple of questions:

Replacing the fuel filter is suggested, and following the advice I've gotten from some folks here I figure I'll just replace the fuel pump at the same time. However, I can't tell from the diagram where the heck the filter is. Is the filter the net thing at the bottom of the pump, or elsewhere? Does the new fuel pump come with a new filter, or is that separate?

Also, replacing the spark plugs is suggested, and I figure I'll do a compression test at the same time. Can I get the plugs that are one step cooler, in anticipation of future tuning, or do I have to wait since it might be a while until I can get my wideband for the tune?

The book also suggests replacing the brake fluid. Does this mean I have to drain the whole system? I'm trying to do all this myself, but I'm admittedly least confident when it comes to screwing around with the brakes.
@TK-421 @HolyCrapItsFast @Spamby

I appreciate any help y'all can provide.

The fuel filter is just above the fuel pump in the same assembly. The fuel filter is sold separately from the pump. The fuel pump comes with the screen filter. Some after market pumps don't supply the screen filter but if the old one is clean, it can be re-used.

Yes it is a good idea to use one step colder plugs. Also do not trust that they are pre-gapped. Confirm and gap them to .028 inches prior to installation. I personally like the NGK Irridium. They seem to hold up very well through time.

When we do brake fluid services at the shop, we drain and replcae. Many people do not because it is overkill in many cases. As long as the fluid is clear, not cloudy, you should be just fine. Allot of people that use their cars in HPD events will replace their fluid with a good synthetic racing fluid. The synthetics hold up very well to temperature swings.

Ok, more questions for @TK-421 @HolyCrapItsFast @Spamby
I'm going to be replacing the oil in the rear diff and the transmission per TK-421's suggestion in his maintenance post. Do those use the same oil? I can find automatic transmission oil, but nothing specifically for manual transmissions, and the rear diff fluids I've found appear to have the necessary specs for the transmission. Also, TK-421 mentions replacing the oil in the transfer case, but I can't seem to find anything in the owners manual about a transfer case on my STI. Am I missing something?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
My best advice is to simply go to the dealer and have them give you the proper oil. The tranny and diff are very particular about what oil you use.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Re: Brake Fluid
IIRC there's something about the STi and not liking having the master cylinder being drained. What I do is get a different colored fluid (usually ATE Super Blue/Gold) so you can SEE when new fluid comes out. There's a published bleeding order, but I dont know how much of a difference it makes if you're definitely getting new fluid from each corner's bleeding!

Re: Diff/Trans Fluid
Whether or not the diff takes the same fluid as the trans is very model-year specific. It has to do with the type of diff they used in the rear (clutch vs torsen) and required friction modifiers. I know for the MY07 I researched extensively, and it DOES take the same fluid, but for example the MY06 does not. I got a 5gal bucket of Extra-S from a local dealership for about $20 more than vendors wanted for only 5 quarts!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Oh about transmission and transfer case:

I'm not SURE this is what he was talking about, but on the transmission assembly there are TWO drainplugs you should get. One's the monster T70 torx bit, and the other is a standard plug in a more traditional looking mini oil pan.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
usually for bleeding the brake fluid (for most cars) you start with the furthest from the master cylinder. so RR, LR, RF, and LF last.

I was planning on using a Motive Products power bleeder kit. Does anyone have experience with these?
[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION], since IGOTA is ​my primary research spot, where would you suggest I go for further info on my model year?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Well this is a start:

http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php/6839-What-gear-oil-do-I-use-STi-differences-by-year
IIRC the real differentiator in this case is the TYPE of rear diff, torsen vs clutch.

The problem I've found with "other" forums is that you really do have to do a TON of research. There are lots of "I did X with no problems, you should do X too!" posts. So it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

If I had to bet
, if its a torsen it uses the exact same stuff as the trans. If it's a clutch, it needs a special cocktail with friction modifiers.

If you do more research (or I do, cuz Im curious) i'll post up my results here and I'd encourage you to do the same.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
That's why I just suggested going to the dealer and let them give you what you need. I'm just to lazy to do the research anymore :D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We run 100% AMSOIL products in our 04 STi.